Bar aquarium assistance please

Woogie23

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for no update in awhile. Well, things were going good with the tank. Been feeding them better food checking on water conditions every couple weeks. Seemed to get rid of the crap on their eyes. Thwn it would come back, then it would clear up. So hard to get over there and spend time on this tank. I had my wife using dechlorinator when adding water. Water changes are hard to get done there. Now within the last couple days just lost a fish due to bad water or stress I believe. Friday one of them had real bad white cloud over his eye and he wasn't eating. Wife just texted me and said he died within the last two days. This tank is super neglected. Sits next to a door that's left open, employees say they are hitting the tank by accident with advertisement flag poles coming in and out all the time. Wife says it's time to bring them home. Gonna go spend some money to rescue these guys.

Suggestions on best tank size for 4 silver dollars? Height and length minimums?

• Sad 2
  • Love 1

I was excited to see an update and I know it's not the news you were hoping to provide after all the care you've put in. I  hope you will enjoy having them and giving them a more peaceful existence. I'm rooting for them! Don't forget I can send a lifetime supply of corkscrew val if you need it 🙂

• Love 1

Well, I decided on a 75gal. Found a really nice furniture piece my wife was admiring for a stand. Now just rocks/substrate are the only things i need to buy. I think im gonna try local hardware store (home depot) for that. Gonna use tank water from my other tanks and going to steal one of the sponge filters from my 120 to get this tank up and running in a hurry. I was just told because of "reasons" I need to get the fish out of the bar tonight.

20220821_153736.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

Ok, got them all packed up, brought them home. About to put them in tank. ( I don't have much of a choice at this point. I can't leave them in 5gal bucket. 1st pic is test strip from their old tank, next one is from the new one I just set up. The wood in the tank is from their old tank while the fake clay pot is from my well established 55gal. Brought over some algae balls that were attached as well. Just a HOB running with some biimed filter pad is all for now. Gonna put sponge filter in tank here shortly as well from the 55. (It already has a decent canister filter going so shouldn't hurt the 55.) Oh, the brown/burnt looking heater was from the old bar tank. Not sure what was going on there. No, I'm not going to be using that. Heh last two picks are the rocks I bought from home depot and what I had to do to secure the fish for the ride home in the jeep. Don't worry. They had fun, I asked!

20220821_193830.jpg

20220821_194053.jpg

20220821_194934.jpg

20220821_185551.jpg

20220821_161719.jpg

20220821_190437.jpg

• Like 4

That heater is definitely not safe!  Full of rust which means water is getting inside and electricity can therefore “get outside” and shock you if you are grounded.

I’m very glad you’re bringing them home.  They will be far better off where you can provide them care more easily.  Sorry you lost one, but the rest will be much better off.

What a great stand!  That set up is going to look great!  Only needs some time to settle.  Jungle Val’s would be great in the tank if you can get it growing strong enough the dollars can’t eat it faster than it grows.  Amazon sword would also look great.

I can’t tell how much plant damage in my 75 G is from Jack Dempseys, big juvie common plecos, or the little dollars, but I’m pretty sure it’s mostly from the big fish and not my juvie dollars.  Dollars are known to eat plants, but I don’t know how much they will eat if you have them sufficiently fed.  Mine don’t seem too interested in veggie foods, but they’re not in a tank that I spend a ton of time watching right now.

• Thanks 2

On 8/22/2022 at 6:03 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Ughh. The old tank had a chlorine reading. 😞

Ya, I wasn't excited about the product they were using for dechlorinating. I mean it said that was one of the things it did. But just not sure how long they've had that giant bottle sitting under the tank. If I remember I'll try and get a pic of it and post it here.

At least the ammonia reading was zero on that test. Heh

Edited by Woogie23
Added ammonia test result info

On 8/22/2022 at 5:38 AM, Odd Duck said:

That heater is definitely not safe!  Full of rust which means water is getting inside and electricity can therefore “get outside” and shock you if you are grounded.

I've never seen a heater rust like this. Gonna trash it next time I get in the restaurant/bar so no one else tries to clean it up to reuse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Here are a couple of pics. Sorry it's a bit dark, I'm still trying to keep this as stress free as possible for them while they heal up. I'm seeing fin damage on a couple and Popeye on both eyes of one and on one eye of another. The one with Popeye on both is still swimming with a bit of a list to port. I'm certain I can get them healed up, probably gonna keep lights off for awhile and just let whatever natural light do its thing for now. Even the one that is looking the roughest is starting to swim more with his tank mates.

Water test this afternoon shows a smidgen of nitrates! Using the sponge filter and clay pot from the other established tank is helping it appears.

Last pic is the water conditioner that they were using. Thoughts on that? Safe to use or just dump it and stick to something better?

20220823_071040.jpg

20220823_071042.jpg

20220823_071044.jpg

20220822_163220.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/24/2022 at 2:16 AM, Woogie23 said:

Here are a couple of pics. Sorry it's a bit dark, I'm still trying to keep this as stress free as possible for them while they heal up. I'm seeing fin damage on a couple and Popeye on both eyes of one and on one eye of another. The one with Popeye on both is still swimming with a bit of a list to port. I'm certain I can get them healed up, probably gonna keep lights off for awhile and just let whatever natural light do its thing for now. Even the one that is looking the roughest is starting to swim more with his tank mates.

Water test this afternoon shows a smidgen of nitrates! Using the sponge filter and clay pot from the other established tank is helping it appears.

Last pic is the water conditioner that they were using. Thoughts on that? Safe to use or just dump it and stick to something better?

20220823_071040.jpg

20220823_071042.jpg

20220823_071044.jpg

20220822_163220.jpg

Popeye when it's effecting both eyes is usually caused by a bacterial infection I would add a some aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons that will help to reduce the swelling in the eye and do a course of kanaplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days it will also help with any possible fin rot issues your having 

IMG_20220714_201326.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So far so good gang! The one that was looking real rough is doing better. Eyes are slowly looking better, he's swimming around with the other 3 more and more and I even saw him eating some crumbs out of the gravel. The colors are coming through on all the fish, my wife thought they were all getting sick because she's never seen them with good color. Been feeding variety of foods, krill flakes, dried shrimp, frozen blood worms even tried algae wafers which they all snubbed of course. Here is the latest picture. I'll try and get a video and better pics loaded. This is like the 3rd time I've tried to update everyone but I didn't like the pictures I took. So here's all I got at the moment 😆 Oh ya, I'm probably going to pull the HoB and put another sponge filter in. Thoughts?

20220902_155824.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 4