On 8/2/2022 at 9:51 AM, Katherine said:

I believe I see an operculum on this guy too. Can you verify @Chick-In-Of-TheSea?

I think you're right. The video is the best thing; I really can't see with the naked eye.  He doesn't seem to get over peppercorn size despite all the food being offered.  I suppose I could take him out and use magnifying glass if I get super curious.  He seems happy in there though.  Is there a snail that tends to stay peppercorn size?

He also doesn't sniff out the food like the mysteries do.  He's usually off doing his own thing, but there have been some occasions where he joins them at mealtime.  I haven't really paid attention to what [provided] food he likes, besides that cuttlebone. And biofilm.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 8/2/2022 at 12:28 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

This is like an Oreo. We are only concerned with the middle (the good stuff).

A7112723-3E7B-4F23-BBDF-C11C0BF5B731.jpeg

72C10E9A-C2F1-41D1-B2D8-062E94DA5C0D.jpeg

Kind of funny, when I was a child I used to only eat the outside of the cucumber. Now I just eat the whole thing but he certainly is different than me. 😂

• Haha 1

I joined that next door ap.  Made several posts about anyone interested in aquariums snails etc. nothing nada zip zero zilch 😟 I also could not find any posts at all on there anywhere near me on aquarium, tanks, equipment or fish. Sigh

Edited by Guppysnail

On 8/2/2022 at 6:55 PM, Guppysnail said:

I joined that next door ap.  Made several posts about anyone interested in aquariums snails etc. nothing nada zip zero zilch 😟 I also could not find any posts at all on there anywhere near me on aquarium, tanks, equipment or fish. Sigh

Aw. I clicked the + and then I clicked sell or give away an item, and then I put the listing under Pet Supplies because there was no Pets section. It think it took 2 weeks for people to contact me. Put some good photos and leave the post there. Eventually people will see it.

Also I got an update already on the 2 adoptees! They are exploring.

16D5AA0C-D1EC-4F8A-836D-4FA42BB7A4A1.jpeg.d251084c99dba7551cab68c10677634c.jpeg

7C1D9A66-E63D-4F0B-B42C-45F5FBF74321.jpeg.5c5c9970c25db998a5074f7e8f9ffbe8.jpeg

If that coral is real it’s a good calcium source, right?

• Like 1

When my babies reach the size of a quarter many of them are not the brightest bulbs in the pack. They climb plants or decor in the middle of the tank and extend their little siphon as far as they can to puff air. Silly things usually climb a 3 inch plant 🤣. I lift them to just under the surface and let them puff then put them in the food dish. 
I think they start doing it more often when they learn it’s a free ride to the food bowl 🤣
The egg laying is hypnotic to me. 

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2022 at 8:26 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

For some reason I have a group of snorkelers today???

Also found clutch 10. You guys saw that clutch 9 was found rattling around in the intake tube? Weird? Must have fallen during maintenance, and I didn’t notice. Recent clutches have been pretty small. 

Dodger is doing well. Exploring.

880E6619-982D-4411-9EF5-3B8AF270B520.jpeg

Like this team of snorkelers, @Guppysnail?  Is it like dumb & dumber?  I was like, ok whatever... 🙄🤪

• Haha 1

I figured out they were snorkeling more after water changes.  I was doing instant mix of Prime & water and dumping in.  The fish don't care, but it seemed to bother the snails.  Some would jump off the walls and lay on their backs, which was alarming.  So I age the water at least 2-5 minutes now.  I just go wash the test tubes out or something while the Prime sits.  Now it's perfect. No one seems bothered whatsoever.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:01 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I figured out they were snorkeling more after water changes.  I was doing instant mix of Prime & water and dumping in.  The fish don't care, but it seemed to bother the snails.  Some would jump off the walls and lay on their backs, which was alarming.  So I age the water at least 2-5 minutes now.  I just go wash the test tubes out or something while the Prime sits.  Now it's perfect. No one seems bothered whatsoever.

Oh wow! How big of a water change were you doing? Do you have to overdose prime for your water?

On 8/3/2022 at 9:02 AM, Katherine said:

Oh wow! How big of a water change were you doing? Do you have to overdose prime for your water?

20% twice a day.  Because of ammonia readings; it was clear the 10gal was overstocked.  I didn't have to overdose prime, but my measurement was eyeballing it for awhile, based on the little thread inside the cap.  Now I have a pipette and get a precise measure. I'm sure it saves money too.  So I guess that plus the little bit of water aging made a difference. Cory had said in a video that dechlorinators reduce oxygen.

As snails got adopted out, the bioload became more manageable and the ammonia readings went away.

• Like 1

Money saving food hack.

Sometimes when I cut up a hard food like a banquet block, it creates a bunch of dust and pieces that can’t really be handled. Or sometimes I realize I put too many Repashy chunks in the tank. 

No problem. Ice cube tray or candy mold, food (suck it out of tank with turkey baster if you already fed it), tank water. Freeze.

49D8B25C-6168-4DAD-945C-F80C823A31BB.jpeg.652e51718ce28236c7f309b8fa514b20.jpeg

C9DF6E21-0C8E-4CF6-821A-414AFF5F83AB.jpeg.a53897653a288b868966fd24e619826d.jpeg

Later, let thaw in a little dish or ramekin. Suck up that food liquid with turkey baster, gently squeeze out baster into the snail dish in the tank. Add more tank water to the ramekin if necessary and use turkey baster again to get it all.

(Won’t work in tanks with current)

71EADB26-69EE-45B4-9D2C-2EF706EA071B.jpeg.a62ce6f736ecda4a271d148010dc5fda.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Love 1