Bon Bon has apparently dug herself into a hole?

2AC36BC4-57C0-44A5-9B95-75B3FA38E64D.jpeg.d2cc77dc09e6f754f014bd2566ef623d.jpeg

Also in this morning’s activities is creating canned (unsalted) green bean cubes. I opened green beans and gave them some for two days, then froze them in a container, which.. formed a big block. 😆

So I thawed that out and used some in my soup, and separated the rest for easy feeding later. I’m trying not to waste things in today’s economy! 😅 Topped them with dechlorinated water. 

C362CAD0-EDBF-4CE5-8784-7B5482629F02.jpeg.79da2eaad2ef7de5f251b01f9bd62b7a.jpeg

Of course everyone got a taste, even though they are kinda mushy. My customers do not mind. 

5208E48A-CBDE-42FC-B68E-2057813A1023.jpeg.d6591df868ba4f766ea41f6459fac51e.jpeg

9CA31588-A7C5-488B-9A66-8E2F11ED8C33.jpeg.5de0946c21e1698b684d505a66aa5e05.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2022 at 8:53 AM, Katherine said:

Oh, I need to do that today. I have a can of green beans I haven't opened because I wasn't sure about what to do with so many, and I just bought ice cube trays a few weeks ago. But is there room in the freezer?

An option I have used that I like way better than canned is bagged already frozen. I take what I need and close the bag. The frozen tend to make much less mess for me a few seconds in water thaws them and plunk into the tank. 

• Like 2

On 9/17/2022 at 9:24 AM, Guppysnail said:

An option I have used that I like way better than canned is bagged already frozen. I take what I need and close the bag. The frozen tend to make much less mess for me a few seconds in water thaws them and plunk into the tank. 

Normally I use the fresh, and I store them in the freezer, pulling two out at a time and dropping them in a little pot of boiling water.  They are done by the time I do my water testing. This can was from early on when I first started feeding green beans.  Not knowing what to do with so many (I think I only had York at the time, and Hampshire the nerite who ignores all the foods) I froze them.  Now I'm just using them up, little by little!

These guys get quite the variety.  If I'm making a salad, I set some salad aside for them.  I made fish w/ broccoli the other night, so I set some broccoli aside for them.  🙂   

Plus their Snello recipes.  Two different "flavors".

They are spoiled.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 10:43 AM, Guppysnail said:

My hordes of pleco, guppies and snails consume almost a whole small bag of green beans plus other veggies a week 🐷🐷🐷. I never have any left to freeze 🤣🤣🤣

WOW!  That's a lot of green beans!!  But hey, green beans are cheap.  I'm still surprised that guppies eat everything.

• Like 1

I always worry about throwing the baby out with the bath water when I vac this tank. Nibbles got “beamed up” today in the siphon but I think he’s just heavy enough to fall back down without pinching the tube. I siphon into a black bucket, often in early morning hours, and I use a flashlight to check the bucket for Nibbles.

AEADEE81-3637-4A21-A069-937EF943FAC0.jpeg

0E40BA67-D8DC-49CB-B6E7-E4560E23C74E.jpeg

B4F18094-C701-44B6-95A5-A2701FF53161.jpeg

• Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea thank you for the tips good idea  freeze the food or small pieces of blocks to re use them  everything the cost  is going up .

.I use root tabs for my plants  and a few broke or open or have dust i put in ice cube tray add a little water and freeze and pop in the tank 

when i started vegetables for the tank  I bought a can of beans for my pelco and 3 snails and they did not touch them ,, I just took  the beans and made a pot of chicken soup and put them in it ,,

But with the new snails , shrimp and pelco i will  have to test the vegetable again

i know the snails like the beans thank you i was wondering if the frozen green beans would work  i buy more frozen beans for my self  i like them better then can beans I will try the frozen ..

I have not been here for a couple days been house cleaning have company coming to stay 2 for weeks

so this is a good way to start the day  talking snail keeping before starting  a day of cleaning 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 8:13 AM, Bev C said:

i was wondering if the frozen green beans would work

@Guppysnail buys the frozen green beans.  Not sure if she cooks them for the snails or just tosses them in.

I take fresh green beans, and I freeze them in a large ziplock.  I take out a few and boil them, let cool, split open, and put in tank.  But right now I'm just trying to use up my greenbeans from a can which was the first veg I ever tried to feed the snails.   I did put a lot in a chicken soup too!  And just froze what was left.

the cost  is going up

That's for sure!  I went to buy Sensodyne toothpaste the other day.  Do you know it was almost $7 for 1 tube!  So I bought Crest Pro Health instead which does pretty much all the same stuff sensodyne does.

so this is a good way to start the day  talking snail keeping before starting  a day of cleaning 

My favorite way to start the day is talking snail! ❤️  And waking up to a snail sleeping on a root like a tired Tarzan.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 8:18 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Guppysnail buys the frozen green beans.  Not sure if she cooks them for the snails or just tosses them in.

I usually do fresh. I only do frozen in a “I am to lazy to go to the grocery” pinch 🤣. Those I just thaw in water so they sink and plop them in. Freezing causes them to get get soft enough. 

• Thanks 1

2 customers today at the dish. Button ate her way through the calcium chip dust and latched onto the cucumber. Nibbles is really enjoying the calcium chip dust. Nibbles likes cuttlebone too. I’ve found him there on more than one occasion.

09299EB5-AB6A-44FC-AAA4-6C4D324486C0.jpeg.5ce5cb76838ff048a4344ac6f91744d1.jpeg

C29DEE54-39EE-4B6D-B584-986762C45567.jpeg.a877b8f9d43352cbf2d8cf88193450af.jpeg

Also I named my Bolivian Ram Snoopy since he’s all up in my business, always. Investigates all things new in the tank, tastes all the snail foods, photobombs all the tank photos. So that means the last gold mystery snail that hadn’t been named must be Woodstock. 🐥 Here’s Woodstock cleaning a plant:

71B77ED0-0640-4792-AB6F-5C1BFC4B9D51.jpeg.bb4aefe77c2275ce0647d9cd0d50dab0.jpeg

And here is Snoopy.

886EAA90-F4D9-4B4E-8311-507000A96A0D.jpeg

• Love 3

love the names Snoopy and Woodstock  

my fish i only name my bristolnose nose  since he is the only one that  i do not of multiple ones of 

I am still thinking of the name he is male  thinking of Barney or Jethro or Bruno

I do have  1 gold/yellow snail like your York   not sure if he is male  female and  he is the only gold one and the  biggest snail and he thinks he is boss of the tank   i do call him Goldie 

Edited by Bev C
  • Love 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:43 AM, Bev C said:

my fish i only name my bristolnose nose  since he is the only one that  i do not of multiple ones of

Same. I have schools of nameless tetras.  I mean, I can't tell them apart so how can I keep track of names?  But one tetra living on his own - he was a quarantined one, is named Pippin.  Pippin is in the photo with Woodstock above.

• Love 1