For NERM week I threw this directions post up about the breeder box - and my post was snail-specific, of course.  It's basically a conglomeration of all the stuff I've posted in this journal. If anyone's interested in the read, it's over here:

On 7/15/2022 at 10:31 AM, Guppysnail said:

For feed even my new ones get commercial food one time per day what they can eat in just a few hours. It yucks water quality to fast.  Veggies always in tank they break down crazy slow and nano spirulina from aco I break up and make sure there is just a tiny piece always so if they are there looking for a cal mag source it there. 

Different foods yield different water quality. I drop however much I feed in a cup of water. Let dissolve for whatever amount of time I plan on leaving it in tank. Then test the big 3. Oddly enough some release all 3 in a drinking cup. Then I imagine that being spread the volume of my tank. If I think it’s reasonable for the tank to consume as it releases I use it. If not I cut back. If it’s bad and even cutting back I discard the entire package in the bin as poor quality food. 🤷🏼‍♀️  Right or wrong I’m not sure. You know me I have my own Gup style but it works for me. 😁

I don't think the food is really going out into the tank water much because within minutes snails are all over whatever food is there.  They have great sniffers. But the waste production of the snails is my concern.  Food always = waste always. I've been favoring repashy because Cory was saying it's very tank stable and it's fine to leave it for 24 hours.  But they eat it in like an hour.  And of course the beloved green beans.  They are now being consumed in a day.  I always have a chunk of cuttlebone in their dish, but sometimes I will add the calcium chip because they don't foul the water and the snails will get some of that calcium powder and spirulina when they cruise over them.  

• Love 1

Snello time!

I cleaned the glass because the snails sure weren’t doing it. But now the limpets (all over the place now) have moved onto the snail shells and the tank decor. I hope they don’t cause any problems for the shells. 🧐 Also learned from Father Fish that the limpets didn’t come from mystery snail eggs. It was just a coincidence that they were the first things in the breeder box when snail eggs were hatching. Limpets come from other limpets. Most likely came into the aquarium on a plant. I’m not overly concerned with them other than they are cluttering all the glass and photobombing.

0684AA07-CA09-4D31-9521-7A2E6C4442CC.jpeg

ED5DF955-C7D2-48B9-B66A-E2E3AE7E5358.jpeg

• Like 1

I was in the big box store today because I ran out of ammonia test kit solution, and wouldn’t you know, I had to see what was in the tanks. Well, at the bottom of a swordtail tank is this snail with a pretty powder blue shell. But the snail had no friends, and every time he went to come out of his shell, a swordtail would go after him, nipping him again and again. 😢 I saw it happen multiple times; the poor snail couldn’t travel anywhere without harm. 

So I adopted him. After he was bagged, I talked to the sales associate (who is a very avid hobbyist who works at big box to try to improve their processes for the sake of the aquatic life, NOT the bottom line. ) He refers customers to the mom & pop shops all the time, if they are looking for something specific. He even gave me some bags so I can take my snails to the fish club meeting soon. While I was talking to him, the little snail was traveling around the bag peacefully, without any attacks, and I was happy. For lack of a better name, I have been calling him Dodger.

I brought him home and went against my principles of quarantining. My quarantine tank is fully dosed right now and has 2 fishies with columnaris. So he got a 45 minute drip acc, and then I discarded that water. From there he went into a “cleaning station” where I gently rubbed debris from his shell in my own tank water.

Now he is in a breeder box with a green bean and a piece of calcium chip. He ate some of the green bean right away.  He can leave whenever he wants. There is no lid on it.

F9EFAA83-8B45-4427-9A94-4D390F33AB27.jpeg

98AAED37-86A8-4772-884A-B50439A1C24C.jpeg

4B2C5DA0-5317-4611-8A9C-518FE8441145.jpeg

A0FDEA59-1E19-4D20-B896-F96D4472AAC8.jpeg

E19C460B-15D2-4A8C-851D-0F0DF1BDA787.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

Aww, poor guy. That shell looks pretty gnarly.

We saw a blue mystery at our box store before buying Blue Soul at the LFS. But there was so much death in their tanks we walked out without it.

And why are you going to regret the carrot? Are they extra messy or something?

Edited by Katherine

On 7/17/2022 at 2:08 PM, Katherine said:

Aww, poor guy. That shell looks pretty gnarly.

We saw a blue mystery at our box store before buying Blue Soul at the LFS. But there was so much death in their tanks we walked out without it.

And why are you going to regret the carrot? Are they extra messy or something?

Fortunately the shell isn’t damaged. It is just surface marring. 

Well, carrots make every snail’s poop orange! So my tank is gonna look very “festive” later… 😬

• Haha 2

Now he’s napping in the breeder box. I was gonna put him in the tank but he’s had a hard day with them swordtails. I didn’t know they were so aggressive towards snails.  The lid is still off of the breeder box so he’s free to do as he pleases. Otherwise I will release him tomorrow morning. I just wanted him to have a little sanctuary where he could have some peace and enjoy dinner after his ordeal.

• Like 1

He woke up and I gently placed him down on the sand. He had a few more bites of green bean and began exploring. None of the tankmates paid him any mind. Here’s a photo that shows his color more true. And a few I took after the light kicked into moonlight mode.

Pardon my plants. They are not too nice and need a trim!

A53520ED-11DA-4EE5-ADE7-B1E5C0D58E38.jpeg

09D0EAF4-5133-4ED6-AD9F-6CAEEA3E8DDE.jpeg

C173FEDB-878A-403B-99EC-A326A9085475.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

@Katherine the carrot aftermath has begun! 😳

That’s 🐌💩!

B51BCD90-847D-4B8C-81E3-8193F69A6397.jpeg

0093D49D-EF7A-45DA-B1E0-C251D7F3B36B.jpeg

I got a message about my snail sale on Nextdoor. A local hobbyist wants a few snails. She has a 20 gallon hex and she told me her 1 snail is lonely and bored. It’s nice that she is concerned for the social needs of the snails. 😌 She sent me a pic of the tank. She has like 1 glofish and the snail. Sponge filter looks like it’s got some nice crud and there is some algae on the walls which the snails will enjoy. 

• Haha 1