Bluegills for pets

lmhicks101

So I went to a buddies pond with my son today and we caught a 6-7 small bluegills and croppies in our minnow trap. The original plan was to try for mosquito fish and have my son raise them but now he wants to try with bluegills. I have them in a solo 40 breeder doing the med trio. What’s your opinion on keeping 1 or 2 in a 40 breeder with a bristle nose pleco or a hand full of corries? 

image.jpg

C8188F09-29D2-4FFC-8D6E-64F1B26B8767.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I kept bluegill for a short time many years ago.  They are filthy, huge bioload. You need massive filter system. Also, they tend to destroy everything in their environment, vegetation, substrate, ....

On the other hand, they do live a long time

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 6:49 PM, cavdad45 said:

I kept bluegill for a short time many years ago.  They are filthy, huge bioload. You need massive filter system. Also, they tend to destroy everything in their environment, vegetation, substrate, ....

On the other hand, they do live a long time

one of them doesn’t look so good. It looks like saddle back so that’s why I dosed them. I think I’m going to let them go in a few weeks after I know they’re good and back in shape. Still aiming for mosquito fish and a crayfish for the bottom. 

• Like 1

I had 2 in a 150 and they can be huge and without dna testing  in some areas because of hybridization. They others thing it’s hard to vary their diet as the would have in the wild. They have huge mouths and tend to eat everything they can. And are very power full I not doubt that the could a thin glass that sold tanks are made of, mine hade by someone in the 70 build mine and the glass .50” I think it could be more. I came home day and my boys had put them in the 150 by the pool. So there was not much in there and the only the blue gill where left.  

Edited by Brandon p

On 5/24/2022 at 6:25 PM, lmhicks101 said:

How come? 

Generally, once you introduce medications/chemicals to a species that was formerly wild it's best practice to not release them. Even more so once they have been kept in captivity for a while and have become accustomed to being provided food and not finding it on their own. 

Medications are one thing….  But API Stress Coat and Prime….should never be used on a food fish… so would not ever release.   

Cold water -When I kept them I just remember they move/destroy plants and wanted cooler water with lots of oxygen.   
Good Luck 

I have had one for years in a 40breeder, I feed him the big pellets from Xtreme. Eventually I moved him into a large Rubbermaid tote by himself. They will eat anything and everything that’s in the same tank.  I “rescued” mine from a couple kids that were fishing and left him in a bucket after playing with him. He was as good as dead. Now he’s my water puppy! 

• Like 3

i kept all sorts of game fish years ago. you will probably be okay for quite some time with 2 in a 40B, even with a bristlenose. cory's might get pecked at or killed when the bluegills get larger. as someone else mentioned, game fish tend to be poop monsters when compared to most tropicals kept in the hobby.

Also if you have kept other fish in this tank before the blue gills then I wouldn't release them as theirs a risk of introducing pathogens or parasites into the wild population of blue gill that they haven't come into contact with before thats why it's generally not recommended to reintroduce wild caught fish once they have been in captivity 

Edited by Colu

On 5/25/2022 at 6:54 AM, Colu said:

Also if you have kept other fish in this tank before the blue gills then I wouldn't release them as theirs a risk of introducing pathogens or parasites into the wild population of blue gill that they haven't come into contact with before thats why it's generally not recommended to reintroduce wild caught fish once they have been in captivity 

No this was a brand new tank. Even before I set it up I did the alcohol spray down and vinegar and salt scrub. 

• Like 1