Benefits of Repashy?

ReeseADHD

Heyo I have a few quick questions about Repashy. 

So are there any real benefits of using Repashy (Repashy Community Plus) over other types of community food such as sinking pellets and wafers? Or is it just one of those things where it doesn't hurt to have variety?

using it frozen without vac sealing, just use it up in a week or two.  i dont know if its better or worse than any other food, but it is another option. if you already have a couple of types, when you use one up and its time to buy more , then maybe try repashy, or else you run the risk of going down the rabbit hole like most of us have, and have dozens of different fish foods. a little variety is good, but too many becomes an expensive collection.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2022 at 8:45 PM, Lucid_Reese said:

Out of curiosity what would happen if you froze it without a vacuum sealer?

Freezing Repashy without vacuum sealing it leads to it becoming super dry and forming a lot of ice crystals in the spaces that the moisture was drawn to. It has a completely different texture if you thaw it out afterward and (from my experience) fouls the water more readily.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer you can either remove the air with your mouth, remove the air with water displacement, or look into one of the little hand pump sealers that run around $20. Personally I would stick with one of the first two unless you're into bulk meal prepping or do a LOT of sous vide. I got by for several years by using water displacement. The only reason my habit changed is because I shelled out for a sous vide circulator within the last year.

• Like 2

I like to ability to customize repashy.  I can purée veggies and stick it in.  My plecos are like human children.  They gobble green beans but only pick at the other veggies.  I can purée any type of veggie in the repashy and they gobble it down. Easier than explaining to a fish eating the rainbow 🌈 gives them all the vitamins 🤣. I also stick flake mixes in for them or a touch of garlic guard or spirulina powder. Not sure if all the hype on those two are true so I figure a little can’t hurt and might help.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 4/26/2022 at 6:24 PM, Lucid_Reese said:

Or is it just one of those things where it doesn't hurt to have variety?

👍.         Yup. The above.

I just mix mine up in a small jar, scoop out portions with a spoon and drop those into the tanks to feed it.

It's super easy and not very labor intensive. Just microwave some water, mix it with Repashy in jar and DONE! Takes about as long as it takes your microwave (or stove top) to boil some water.

I make enough to last 2 weeks and stick it in the fridge.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I find the main benefits for me are. It can stay in the water loosing minimal nutrition for like 24 hours. This allows me to power feed catfish and other fish I'd like to bread. Especially those fish that prefer to graze over the entire day instead of get their food in 5 minutes.

The next benefit for me is that I find there is less bloating. Some fish like cichlids, goldfish, bala sharks etc, they will eat pellets so fast, that they aren't hydrated yet, and then can expand inside the fish. Being that repashy is already hydrated I find it helps against this quite a bit. A fish who wants to overeat though will still overeat.

On 4/27/2022 at 1:21 PM, Cory said:

The next benefit for me is that I find there is less bloating. Some fish like cichlids, goldfish, bala sharks etc, they will eat pellets so fast, that they aren't hydrated yet, and then can expand inside the fish. Being that repashy is already hydrated I find it helps against this quite a bit. A fish who wants to overeat though will still overeat.

That's a really nice benefit. I didn't know that ty for the info!