skyrocketing nitrite - do I need to remove fish ASAP?

BAT

Hi Nerms,

I recently had 2 snails die in the tank - and I think that this has contributed to a spike in my parameters. 

this morning I was horrified to see a reddish purple nitrite level - like at the highest level of the master kit.  and when I used the AC strips nitrite lit up pink immediately as did nitrate (probably around 30-40).  ammonia was around 0.5/0.75

I immediately did a 2/3 water change and added amquel.

should I move the betta to a QT tank?  do another water change? both? something else?

On 4/4/2022 at 1:44 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Oh dear @BAT still having issues huh? After the water change did you test?

yes - I tested a strip after water change and circulation. looks to be Nitrite about 1, nitrates about 20

On 4/4/2022 at 12:47 PM, BAT said:

yes - I tested a strip after water change and circulation. looks to be Nitrite about 1, nitrates about 20

I'd do one more water change, at least 50%, to get the nitrites down, and continue to monitor and do water changes to keep the combined ammonia and nitrites low.  The nitrates aren't a problem.

• Like 4

Ammonia 0 but nitrite and nitrate still high (bright purple- looks like above 5 w master kit; and red for nitrite)

doing another big water change now and will continue to add conditioner. 

anything else? Check again in morning? I guess it’s encouraging the ammonia went down. 

Adding a little aquarium salt should help a lot to.  Nitrite competes for cl uptake so upping the cl concentration  helps restore the ion flux rate. 

It doesn't take a lot.  Like a tenth the "medical" aquarium salt dose. So it shouldn't hurt plants either.

I can get exact numbers and references if you want once I'm back to my computer later today

On 4/5/2022 at 3:22 AM, Edsland said:

If you can get ahold of Seachem Prime you can does every couple days until you bacteria catches up with the cycle. With Prime you'll still get ammonia or nitrites reading but it binds it so its not dangerous for 48 hours. 

I did not know this ~ actually I might’ve known it years ago😋

@BATI hope everything is stabilized and going well for you now!  The people here are so nice and wise ~ it’s awesome!

I agree @sweetpoison all you nerms are awesome! Thank you!

I woke up and the levels were high again. I removed any dead plant debris and did another 70% water change. I added 2 tbsp of salt and the fritz water conditioner. 

should I use prime instead of fritz complete? Or are they doing the same thing?

also. I have to go to work and back in 8 hrs. Will he be ok until the w the salt and the conditioner even if levels rise?

he looks ok. Not gasping. Color good. Hanging out in bottom in his usual spots and eating well. 

• Like 1

I have had to do back to back water to almost completely replace water to get nitrite to zero. I have been doing limited gravel vac to try not to disturb any bacteria in gravel. 

I have added back salt I removed proportionately.

Edited by BAT

Prime and Fritz compete do the same thing so I would just keep using Fritz compete as you have it to hand if you have another tank you can take some seeded filter media from it and add to this tank to help reduce your nitirtes

• Thanks 1

Hi All- here is the update…

things have improved, somewhat. Now takes 1-2 days to get to nitrites of 1. I had a few days of no nitrites then a spike. 
Ammonia 0

nitrates 10

fins starting to look a little ragged but he is eating fine. 

i did some light gravel vacuuming and found some buried roots from some dying plants I had removed. Hopefully it will stop the blipping. Keeping up w salt and fritz complete. Adding stress guard just in case it’s helpful. 

feel free to add any comments you wish. Thanks for guiding me so far!

• Like 1

Ok now I had a small ammonia bump 0.5 yesterday and today; managing it and we are moving through nitrite bump tonight (0 ammonia) and slightly raised nitrate 20. 

I continue to use low dose salt (2 tablespoons for 10 gallons) and water change and bacteria and stress guard.

but I noticed that my betta is having some blackening of dorsal fin and some ratting of fins underneath.  See pics. Can’t see underneath well. But top fin more concerning. He had a little flair fin coming off his top fin bc of past scarring but that fell off. 

I am trying to decide if I should move him to quarantine tank and treat w meds or leave him in here while I ride it out. 

thoughts? Eating normal. A little more agitated than normal. But not a lot. 

BB4A4B9F-2477-4276-BDA6-D73161A338D4.jpeg

A0A8BF22-224B-4061-B1EE-1221027F495F.jpeg

• Sad 1

Is everyone in your tank accounted for? As @nabokovfan87 has hinted it's a bit strange it's still on (the issue)- not that it isn't possible. 

Bettas are seriously delicate IMO, if you have the ability to put him in QT with cycled media I would strongly consider that, with some salt and catappa leaf if you've got it. He may have the start of fin rot/bacteria infection. Keep the water stupid clean. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

See what he looks like tomorrow, but if you have an alternate tank that’s ready, consider moving him since he’s potentially showing symptoms.  If you don’t have an alternate tank, stay up on water changes and do the hunt for dead snails, dead plant leaves, anything that might be rotting including excess fish food.

• Like 1

Ok. I will move him to QT. 

no other dead snails. I suppose there could b dead pest snails somewhere in the gravel. 

I will look for leaves but haven’t seen any.
should I do a deep gravel clean or will that disturb bacteria?