Flying back with fish from the Co-op

Leo2o915

What are you like thinking of buying? I’m not sure I’d go to the trouble for a bag of tetras or something like that. Some of Cory’s cool guppies or any of Dean’s fish would be worth the effort if they have some in stock during your visit. 
I’d definitely visit even if you don’t buy fish. It’s worth it just to see Murphy and the rad Betta display system. 

Edited by Patrick_G

Agree with @Patrick_G, I would plan to buy with checking with the airline, making sure TSA hasn't changed their policies again, etc but the Vienna guppies, Dean's Black Rams or Angels, and Randy's super red BNs etc are not always in stock. I would use a thermal shopping bag to keep them insulated as they really chill those planes. In case they don't have them in stock there are some online sellers who have the Vienna's and on Aquabid everything is available but they are a fishstore and a popular one at that. 

On 3/29/2022 at 10:26 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Agree with @Patrick_G, I would plan to buy with checking with the airline, making sure TSA hasn't changed their policies again, etc but the Vienna guppies, Dean's Black Rams or Angels, and Randy's super red BNs etc are not always in stock. I would use a thermal shopping bag to keep them insulated as they really chill those planes. In case they don't have them in stock there are some online sellers who have the Vienna's and on Aquabid everything is available but they are a fishstore and a popular one at that. 

Yeah would be something rare for sure 

• Administrators

You shouldn't have any issue with traveling with live fish. The main thing is that they have to be alive and swimming when TSA inspects them. They may need to call a supervisor, so give yourself a little extra time. It also wouldn't hurt to print out the TSA policy and have it with you just in case. I would also recommend only flying with a small amount (like a couple of small bags). If you have a whole box of fish, the airline may not allow you to carry-on.

As far as everything else, an insulated tote bag should suffice. Assuming that they would be mostly at or around room temperature, they will be fine. Especially because you will be traveling during the summer. 

@Leo2o915

On 3/29/2022 at 10:37 AM, Zenzo said:

You shouldn't have any issue with traveling with live fish. The main thing is that they have to be alive and swimming when TSA inspects them. They may need to call a supervisor, so give yourself a little extra time. It also wouldn't hurt to print out the TSA policy and have it with you just in case. I would also recommend only flying with a small amount (like a couple of small bags). If you have a whole box of fish, the airline may not allow you to carry-on.

As far as everything else, an insulated tote bag should suffice. Assuming that they would be mostly at or around room temperature, they will be fine. Especially because you will be traveling during the summer. 

@Leo2o915

Awesome thanks I live a hour from Sacramento live ceres Ca so the drive home from the airport shouldn’t be long so expecting them to be in the bag at least 6 hours or o so from the time they are bagged and the time I get home assuming no delays on the airplane ect. So you think one of the coop insulated bags should be warm enough , 

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 3/29/2022 at 3:35 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Awesome thanks I live a hour from Sacramento live ceres Ca so the drive home from the airport shouldn’t be long so expecting them to be in the bag at least 6 hours or o so from the time they are bagged and the time I get home assuming no delays on the airplane ect. So you think one of the coop insulated bags should be warm enough , 

For that short of a flight and trip, any bag that is kept with you should be fine.