Would this be wise to do?

sweetpoison

Depending on how it fits between the raised parts, yes.  You might be able to fill in the gaps with a mat or shims, but I wouldn’t recommend setting up a tank with only the corners in contact with the support.  Table is beautiful.  Just need to find the perfect fit.  What are the dimensions of your space?

• Like 1

if the table is large enough, looks like its probably sturdy enough. id sit on it, maybe even have a friend join you sitting on it, and wiggle around a little bit. if it feels solid, then its likely fine. just for consideration, a 29 gallon tank is a good 350# when full.

I think it would be fine as long as you get under the table and tighten up the screws if they're easily accessible, or put corner support brackets to reinforce it. I'm using a TV stand for my 55 gallon, and that's what my husband and I did—for peace of mind more than anything.

There are definitely more knowledgeable wood workers here. However, I guess I would want to see how the joints work. If the majority of the weight is on whatever they used for fasteners, I'm personally never confident with that unless I know what they used. But if the two crossbeams are slotted into the legs somehow, that's a good sign.

On rimmed tanks, only the four corners take the weight, but those four corners need to be level with each other. Rimless, the whole bottom needs to sit flush/level. 

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 8:50 AM, lefty o said:

if the table is large enough, looks like its probably sturdy enough. id sit on it, maybe even have a friend join you sitting on it, and wiggle around a little bit. if it feels solid, then its likely fine. just for consideration, a 29 gallon tank is a good 350# when full.

How did you come up with 350#s? I'm thinking closer to 250. 

On 3/25/2022 at 11:30 AM, Wrencher_Scott said:

How did you come up with 350#s? I'm thinking closer to 250. 

water is 8 something pounds per gallon, plus weight of tank, gravel is heavier than the water, filtration, tops, lights etc. i use a ballpark of 10# per gallon for a tank, then add to it a few pounds for insurance. im into overkill, if a tank weighed 295#, im not putting it on something that can only handle 300#.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2022 at 9:42 AM, lefty o said:

water is 8 something pounds per gallon, plus weight of tank, gravel is heavier than the water, filtration, tops, lights etc. i use a ballpark of 10# per gallon for a tank, then add to it a few pounds for insurance. im into overkill, if a tank weighed 295#, im not putting it on something that can only handle 300#.

Gotcha, yes overkill is good in these situations. 

How much gravel is usually used in lbs? In a per gallon number say?

Edited by Wrencher_Scott

On 3/25/2022 at 11:50 AM, Wrencher_Scott said:

Gotcha, yes overkill is good in these situations. 

How much gravel is usually used in lbs? In a per gallon number say?

a baseline for gravel is 1.5# per gallon, and i find i usually do about 2# per gallon.

• Like 1

Agreeing with the above.  Get a friend and stand on it.  Does it feel wobbly or solid?  

If it passes that test, make sure the entire tank sits on it (no overhang) and that it's level.  Maybe even do a 24hour test with water and check for any bowing, if you are able to!

The table is really pretty and will make a lovely tank stand - but then again - I love a good alternative tank stand!!

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 11:27 AM, BrettD said:

There are definitely more knowledgeable wood workers here. However, I guess I would want to see how the joints work. If the majority of the weight is on whatever they used for fasteners, I'm personally never confident with that unless I know what they used. But if the two crossbeams are slotted into the legs somehow, that's a good sign.

On rimmed tanks, only the four corners take the weight, but those four corners need to be level with each other. Rimless, the whole bottom needs to sit flush/level. 

Very good point.  It looks solid but it needs a careful assessment of its construction style before use as a stand.

• Like 1

If your aquarium corners can rest on the legs, you’re probably OK. But if it sits interior of the legs, I fear the sheer pressure on the screws might be an issue. You could probably cut a piece of sturdy plywood to fit the full space of the table top, and stain or pain that as you like. That would distribute the overall weight well even if the tank’s corners don’t come out over the legs.

• Like 3

On 3/25/2022 at 8:13 AM, Katherine said:

Would the tank edge be over those corner posts or entirely supported by the horizontal bits?

Katherine! I just measured that stand. I don’t care about the height because that’s fine but it is 40 inches long and the width is 14 1/2.

My tank will be 30 inches long by 12” wide.

I’m so bad at measuring so your question is ~ is the tank going to be over those corner posts probably not because the table is 40 inches long and the tank is 30.  Right? 

On 3/25/2022 at 8:45 AM, JettsPapa said:

As @Katherineindicated, it isn't possible to answer that without knowing the dimensions of the table.

30” long and 14 1/2 wide.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:40 AM, Fish Folk said:

If your aquarium corners can rest on the legs, you’re probably OK. But if it sits interior of the legs, I fear the sheer pressure on the screws might be an issue. You could probably cut a piece of sturdy plywood to fit the full space of the table top, and stain or pain that as you like. That would distribute the overall weight well even if the tank’s corners don’t come out over the legs.

Ugh. I’m thinking I’m gonna be buying a stand!

On 3/25/2022 at 10:08 AM, Odd Duck said:

Very good point.  It looks solid but it needs a careful assessment of its construction style before use as a stand.

I agree! I guess I’ll just go by the damn stand!  Thank you so much!♥️

On 3/25/2022 at 4:24 PM, sweetpoison said:

I agree! I guess I’ll just go by the damn stand!

May not need to.  Can you turn the table over and show us close up pics of where the leg meets the sides?  We might be able to tell if you can still use it.  It’s a great table, so if you can use it would look terrific as a stand!

On 3/25/2022 at 10:06 AM, Sal said:

Agreeing with the above.  Get a friend and stand on it.  Does it feel wobbly or solid?  

If it passes that test, make sure the entire tank sits on it (no overhang) and that it's level.  Maybe even do a 24hour test with water and check for any bowing, if you are able to!

The table is really pretty and will make a lovely tank stand - but then again - I love a good alternative tank stand!!

Thank You!  I had 3 55 gallon tanks all at the same time and can’t ever leave the house thinking oh my god what if I come back and….

I would be more worried If I didn’t have an appropriate aquarium stand moving forward..

For me it’s all about peace of mind!

On 3/25/2022 at 2:31 PM, Odd Duck said:

May not need to.  Can you turn the table over and show us close up pics of where the leg meets the sides?  We might be able to tell if you can still use it.  It’s a great table, so if you can use it would look terrific as a stand!

Ok!  If I don’t come back it’s squashed me😂😂

Edited by sweetpoison
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2022 at 4:32 PM, sweetpoison said:

Ok!  If I don’t come back it’s quashed me

Get help!  😝 😂 🤣 I didn’t say you had to do it right this second!  Sometimes when I have to look at really big dogs bellies, I lay on the floor on my back because it’s easier than getting them turned over.  😂 🤣 

I think your top might be a fairly thin piece and not as well attached to the legs as I’d like to see for holding a tank.  Those legs and frame look nice and solid, though.  If you decide to use it, I think you will need a board that transfers all the weight to the actual legs and frame vs. what I suspect is a fairly thin top board.  I would use 3/4” plywood, put a trim molding around the edges to make it a little prettier, then paint or stain it whatever color you want.  Black would nearly disappear next to that pretty wood and under a pretty aquarium.  It would be hard to match the patina on your wood plus a board would protect your actual table.

Beautiful chest!  I don’t know if I could bring myself to risk water around that carved chest!

@Patrick_G I agree on that PetCo stand!  No way would I put a tank on that thing! 

• Like 1