A lurker no longer

PBA

Hey everyone,

My name is Ty Miller and I have been keeping fish off and on since I was a child. I used to breed guppies and sale them back to the local fish store that has since closed.  It had been several years since I had fish but I had been keeping up with Cory even when I wasn't fishkeeping and late in the summer before the pandemic I spied my daughters kiddie pool, and I had an idea. I cleaned it out and put it on my porch, filled it with water and sand, tossed in an airstone and later some feeder goldfish from the local petstore. I had no idea the rabbit hole I was about to go down. It didnt take long and I had to look for a tank.  Well I stumbled upon a facebook ad where a man was getting rid of his entire fishroom for $200. I got a 125 gallon, two 55s, two 20s, a 40, and two 10s and everything that went with them. Suddenly I had a lot of stuff.  I had never had more than 4 tanks as a kid, and none larger than a 20.  I set up the backroom of my house as an impromptu fishroom, filled the tanks with guppies, swords, and platys. Fast forward and a friend of mine got out of the hobby and gave me their stuff and suddenly I had over 20 tanks.  I have about 3/4 of them set up and going around my home now all trying to breed certain species, from several different cory cats, angles, guppies, swords, platys, clown killies, otos, pea puffers, bristlenose, danios, and shrimp/snails.  I hope to get some rainbow tanks going as well as more species of cory cats (I love them so much) and I am working on my own guppy strain.  I have an an acre and a half of land and plan on building out a separate greenhouse to grow out plants and fish year round outside, similar to Charles work at Goliad farms.  Hopefully it all works out, things have grown so much since I first tossed some goldfish in a kiddie pool one afternoon.  I have worked in IT my whole life but nothing gives me the same sense of accomplishment as fishkeeping.  

• Like 8

Pics or it didn’t happen!  Just kidding, but we really do love pics!  We even love the messy ones that are mid-project, desperately need cleanup, or ones where you’re looking for suggestions.  You’ve stumbled on the most kind, helpful people on the internet, so brace yourself for overwhelmingly helpful suggestions or inquiring minds if you post a “how to”.  This is the best fish think tank I’ve ever come across.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum! I'm also in IT and I find fishkeeping a really wonderful escape from work:

- The fish don't complain if the network is slow

- They don't demand upgrades

- I don't have to relearn a whole manual every time a new fish comes out

- My old fish don't become useless and obsolete after a few years

😜

Edited by drewzero1
auto(in)correct
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/15/2022 at 10:18 AM, PBA said:

Well I stumbled upon a facebook ad where a man was getting rid of his entire fishroom for $200. I got a 125 gallon, two 55s, two 20s, a 40, and two 10s and everything that went with them. 

If that isn't everyone's dream when cruising FB or Craigslist in support of their MTS habit! 🙂 I usually find the person asking $100 for their kid's 10 gal that was used for 2 weeks... "but look at all the stuff you get with it!" sort of posts...

Welcome and I hope you share pics of all your setups! I came back last summer after a long break from the hobby and Cory gets a lot of credit for that. I've got 5 nanos and my old 55s in progress - infinitely rewarding and a doable hobby for life. You've found a most excellent corner of the fishy world here.