How small quarantine tank for pair of guppy can be?

yassy

I know that some people set up quarantine tank using rubber maid container or show box or something like that on as needed basis but how small can the quarantine tank for pair of guppy be?

I normally has 10 gallon tank for quarantine but if I want to quarantine more guppy at the same time to the guppies that goes into 10 gallon quarantine tank, I have no more 10 gallon and I only have 3 gallon tank that is not running yet.

Would that 3 gallon tank be ok for quarantine period usage for pair of say guppy with delta tail like Albino full red? As long as I am keeping up with weekly water change and careful with parameter, that would work? They would not stay in there long,just quarantine time maybe 3-4 weeks. I am debating if I should get them when 10 gallon quarantine tank is emptied out;fish in there goes to community tank and full red can go into the 10 gallon tank to be quarantined..

Thank you.

I have 1 2 and 3 gallon QTs which are Petco's Imagitarium "temporary holding habitats". I've done all of them as QTs but let me tell you this. I'd HIGHLY recommend small daily water changes on a 3 or smaller. Trust me. I learned this the hard way. Once you start doing it, it takes only minutes and it gives you a chance to check in on the fish. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

As @ScottieB stated, if you need to medicate, the meds I have are in 10 gallon portions. For a smaller QT you would need to subdivide those portions.

If you can keep up with the water quality and can calculate/measure the correct medicine dosage, then anything can be a QT.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 5:00 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I have 1 2 and 3 gallon QTs which are Petco's Imagitarium "temporary holding habitats". I've done all of them as QTs but let me tell you this. I'd HIGHLY recommend small daily water changes on a 3 or smaller. Trust me. I learned this the hard way. Once you start doing it, it takes only minutes and it gives you a chance to check in on the fish. 

How much daily water change do you do for 3 gallon QT tank? I got imagitarium thing too!

On 3/14/2022 at 6:07 PM, Patrick_G said:

I agree, I'm currently using a three gallon as a quarantine for two Otocinclus and all is going well. 

I like the pic you posted. Is it 75 gallon tank;community tank? What are the blue-ish fish in the tank?They look pretty!

@yassy It's easy. I just do a 5 to 6 cup water change after using a baster or coral feeder to suck up any left over food or waste. It really makes a difference. I have had an ammonia spike that killed the 1 and only fish in the QT with a full size sponge filter in only 3 days of spot cleaning only. Small tanks can spike fast. I will from this point forward do small water changes every. single. day. It takes very little time and so worth it compared to the alternative. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 7:47 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@yassy It's easy. I just do a 5 to 6 cup water change after using a baster or coral feeder to suck up any left over food or waste. It really makes a difference. I have had an ammonia spike that killed the 1 and only fish in the QT with a full size sponge filter in only 3 days of spot cleaning only. Small tanks can spike fast. I will from this point forward do small water changes every. single. day. It takes very little time and so worth it compared to the alternative. 

Thank you. So, if I understand it correctly, 4 cup is 1 gallon so you do about 1 gallon water change daily with vacuum cleaning with Turkey baster,correct??

Nowadays, shipping went up high and I heard of some kind of law that might restrict shipment between the states line could get effected so,I am kind of debating if I should get all I want to get now and no regret later or get it a few at a time and suffer bit of shipping cost but make sure I get all I want before law get put into the place if passed... No one can predict how its law could effect fish hobby so, that is the hard part..

On 3/14/2022 at 9:08 PM, Katherine said:

quarts is a gallon. 4 cups is a quart. A gallon is 16 cups.

oops,thank you for the correction. I am not getting used to gallon... I am originally from Japan:-)

• Like 2

Yes @yassy it's especially simple if you keep a gallon jug prepped for the 3 gallon QT. It will last 2-3 days depending how aggressive you get with the water changes and once you use that you just refill and repeat! The gallon jug will be ready, treated and the same temp as the QT water (provided no heater being used ) when it's stored nearby. 🙃

• Like 1