Journey Into the Unknown.

This tank is currently home to a Kuhli loach I call The Sausage, a few Pygmy corydoras and shrimp, and of course, the required snails.

I am suspecting The Sausage has been hurting the Pygmies at night when it goes around doing the zoomies. The Pygmies have been slowly disappearing (about one every few weeks), and this morning I finally had a body. No signs of disease, but what looked like trauma on one side. That tank also has no shrimplets present.

I am going to change the tank once its inhabitants are done in there. I will not get any nocturnal critters since I want to see them during the waking hours, so I may consider one centerpiece fish.

The tank will change from its current state, but I have no plans as of today. 

PXL_20220301_174601687_MP.jpg.b0f8faf4cc2615e635a5218266d85aa6.jpg

• Sad 3

On 3/6/2022 at 7:21 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I am suspecting The Sausage has been hurting the Pygmies at night when it goes around doing the zoomies.

I love khuli loaches!  They were the first fish I ever kept way back in Jr. High.  I'm surprised that with all of the cover in there, there aren't more spots the corys can hide.  That's more of a headbutt than I suspected a kuhli could deliver.  I always think of them as more fragile fish.  Did you give it a helmet?! 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 10:01 AM, eatyourpeas said:

He doesn't need one! The sheer size difference is enough of a threat, and when he zooms around the tank it can get a bit scary. Almost 10mm at the thickest part.

I suspect I don't understand how small the corys are. 

That's nice sand by the way!  I wish I could get sand like that around here.  😢

On 3/7/2022 at 9:01 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I suspect I don't understand how small the corys are. 

That's nice sand by the way!  I wish I could get sand like that around here.  😢

A little pygmy size is from the tip of his nose to the snail, or second yellow line from right to left, so pretty small by comparison.

You should be able to get it where you are. It is just play sand🙃  I have it in most of my tanks, including the SW.

Edited by eatyourpeas

I have a single fat Kuhli also. He's the prime suspect in my inability to increase the shrimp population in that tank. If he wasn’t a family favorite he would probably be living somewhere else already. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 11:24 AM, Patrick_G said:

I have a single fat Kuhli also. He's the prime suspect in my inability to increase the shrimp population in that tank. If he wasn’t a family favorite he probably be living somewhere else already. 

Same. How could I resist those puppy eyes! 😍

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2022 at 11:33 AM, eatyourpeas said:

A little pygmy size is from the tip of his nose to the snail, or second yellow line from right to left, so pretty small by comparison.

Got it.  Those corys are small!

On 3/7/2022 at 11:33 AM, eatyourpeas said:

You should be able to get it where you are. It is just play sand🙃  I have it in most of my tanks, including the SW.

Probably not.  People don't ship sand far.  It's inexpensive, weighs a lot, and is found in various forms just about everywhere.  Not much economic incentive in most cases to move it far.  The play sand I find here is chunkier and sharper.  I'd even thought about shipping in dune sand from Oregon.  Found a site and everything.  That would end up being some expensive sand though!  Oddly, if I could get the sand they mine not far from here that goes to the fracking operations in ND, that would make great sand for a tank!  Hmm....  🤔

On 3/7/2022 at 4:20 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Probably not.  People don't ship sand far. 

I did not mean for it to be shipped, but just showing what the bag looks like. HD and ACE Hardware usually stock it. I am sure other hardware stores in your area would have it as well. 🙂

On 3/8/2022 at 10:31 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

how about some Brochis corys or the Miguelitos, nice and chonky!

They are a beautiful possibility! Thank you for pointing them out. I think for now I have to wait for The Sausage to live on his own because:

- He is nocturnal, and will freak out any fish in their sleep.

- He is huge, and unless is another nocturnal fish, it could end badly.

- He already caused the other Kuhlis to jump to their demise outside the confines of the covered tank.

The tank can happily accommodate Corydoras since it has a great sand substrate and is heavily planted, so at this point it is just a waiting game. I love The Sausage, so I am not trying to rush his departure. I can replenish the Neocaridina shrimp from the Vampire tank if I need to. So far, the pea puffers don't seem interested and there are berried shrimp in their tanks.

I lost mine for over a year then it was back. So don’t count it out. Someone gave me a tank once and I didn’t set it until three days later and I when to put the lift tube in and a clown loach was in there. I though it was dead because it was in a 5 gal bucket with just enough water to maybe cover the bottom. When I filled the tank I just left the lift tube top open. Once the water was above the lift tube the fish swam out. He didn’t look so great but re cover and lived 8 more years

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 3/16/2022 at 9:19 AM, eatyourpeas said:

Oh no! They can be impressive jumpers, but also amazing at hiding. Hopefully he is still there, just messing with you. :classic_ninja:

I removed everything from the tank for a reset and he was gone. I had hoped that he was just hiding but no luck. 

• Sad 2