My discus pair laid eggs what do I do!

I only asked because I'm sure the experts will want to know.  I'm also told raising them can be difficult and the parents are usually the best for raising them but they don't always get it right the first time.  No matter what I bet it's going to be fun and interesting even if it ends badly (you/they can always try again). :).

On 3/1/2022 at 4:30 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

I just got my discus pair a week ago, and they already laid eggs just noticed them today they seem to be caring for them, they laid them on my intake pipe on my canister filter. Do I need to do anything.

are they alone in there? Do you have a foam sponge on the intake? So they won't get sucked in there if it goes that far.

That is so awesome! Maybe read up on breeding.

Care to share your tank setup, you must be doing something right and I for one would love to hear about it. 

On 3/1/2022 at 7:30 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

I just got my discus pair a week ago, and they already laid eggs just noticed them today they seem to be caring for them, they laid them on my intake pipe on my canister filter. Do I need to do anything.

What’s the water like you’re using? R. O. ?? I’ve heard different stories, but never been successful yet with discus. I learn a lot from Gabe Z. at Jack Wattley discus, YouTube videos.

I would just leave the eggs alone with the parents, dicus are very difficult to raise away from parents. What are water parameters? Discus will lay eggs in harder water, but the eggs to require some acidity to the water to properly hatch, so most people use RO water mixed in at the minimum, If the pair eats the eggs this time, you can make a cage out of vinyl coated hardware cloth to protect the eggs, its very easy to do if they laid on  cone. There are many good videos on YouTube on raising baby discus, the babies and juveniles are the ones that require really good water quality and lots of water changes to grow properly without being stunted.