Plants above water to reduce nitrates

BAT

That's a great thread on the bamboo, I've meaning to give that a shot but after reading the results might need to prioritize it.  

My dogs have a tendency to tear up any plant the can get their mouths on so I've had to avoid pothos. I've been using spider plants.  Trimmed some babies, propagated in shot glasses on windowsill until they had 2" roots, and then put them in the tank.  

Originally I just had them at the waterline with steel wire inside airline tubing (not my idea, but forget where I saw it) like this:

Holder.jpeg.33945a52ea65a577093ee9be3a81f808.jpeg

It worked, was low budget, and I had all the materials on hand.  The problem is that the mbuna in that tank treated the roots like a salad bar. 

So I printed a cage to protect them.  I wasn't sure if they just needed a head start or would need full time protection so I only made them ~120mm deep and 120mm wide to hold multiple babies.  Its been almost 3 months, and they continue to trim back the roots as far as they can. 

Spider3.jpeg.e44e399f9ea3047a34af085664949df5.jpeg

spider4.jpeg.be97b980344ab321726c4bb9d5d77c88.jpeg

That's total growth for 5 spider babies, no additional firts and planted+ 24/7 HLC light.

Compare that with a different tank that is heavily planted, gets easy green/easy iron, a planted+ 24/7 ALC (better reds) and doesn't have mbuna eating everything they can.    This cage is much smaller (about 70mm deepx60mm wide) and only has a single spider plant baby. 

Spider1.jpeg.8773016135978a15da961f6ea116d6c1.jpegSpider2.jpeg.4a63e29dc5a664eb91e706e202997f39.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/21/2022 at 5:24 PM, MarkM said:

My dogs have a tendency to tear up any plant the can get their mouths on so I've had to avoid pothos.

My puppies were the same way, and my vet said the problem with pothos is the oxalates which (other than teething puppies) tends to irritate the mouth and gums similar to Bitter Apple, before the oxalates can irritate kidneys.

@Odd Duck would know better, and I can say none of my dogs will chew pothos as long as they have access to holy basil for their occasional tummy upsets.

I still have to keep the lucky bamboo and dracaena out of reach, but a frozen carrot a day has been more appealing and better on gums than my pothos or philodendron. I just had to wait until they grew up.

They didn't even try to eat my Solstice gift: a small, potted rosemary 😁

On 2/27/2022 at 10:58 AM, Torrey said:

My puppies were the same way, and my vet said the problem with pothos is the oxalates which (other than teething puppies) tends to irritate the mouth and gums similar to Bitter Apple, before the oxalates can irritate kidneys.

@Odd Duck would know better, and I can say none of my dogs will chew pothos as long as they have access to holy basil for their occasional tummy upsets.

I still have to keep the lucky bamboo and dracaena out of reach, but a frozen carrot a day has been more appealing and better on gums than my pothos or philodendron. I just had to wait until they grew up.

They didn't even try to eat my Solstice gift: a small, potted rosemary 😁

Yep, pothos are more of an oral irritant than truly causing kidney issues.  I’ve never had to treat a pet for pothos ingestion other than with sucralfate (forms a chemical bandage on ulcers and I’ve only used it as a precaution in one silly teething patient that chewed but spit out everything), and pain meds.

• Like 2

I just added the lucky bamboo 🤞🏻🍀

I put some through holes in a sponge container and the ones that were two big I put on top of filter to see if they will grow into sponge

CD98C72A-A32D-4A4D-AE2D-77717C64C141.jpeg

05CE1023-1875-491D-BE34-E8006B59851F.jpeg

85CB5A83-8F45-44D0-9607-2E4F0700C100.jpeg

Edited by BAT
  • Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 1:26 PM, BAT said:

I just added the lucky bamboo 🤞🏻🍀

I put some through holes in a sponge container and the ones that were two big I put on top of filter to see if they will grow into sponge

🎉 congrats. I love mine. They do not grow long roots like pothos. They may grow in just a bit but never enough to support itself. 

Hi Nerms! So far so good. The nitrates seems to be staying at 20 or lower with no change in water change schedule. I just returned my betta to the tank after his quarantine treatment for fin rot. I will continue to follow the water parameters closely.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 7:22 PM, BAT said:

Hi Nerms! So far so good. The nitrates seems to be staying at 20 or lower with no change in water change schedule. I just returned my betta to the tank after his quarantine treatment for fin rot. I will continue to follow the water parameters closely.

Wonderful to read!

• 3 weeks later...

A month later and the growth of the Spiderplant in my 29 gallon has really taken off.  I realized I was starving the tank of phosphates, the tank was essentially at 0.  I started dosing Seachem phosphates to 3ppm and it's now nicer than any of my potted spider plants.  Which isn't saying much, I'm much more successful with aquarium plants than house plants (which is itself a low bar). 20220328.29gSpiderTop.jpeg.e69d061019c6bfa64805e5dc8fa1c41a.jpeg

20220328.29gSpiderRoot.jpeg.ea44aeed4ea397e87effa922be303439.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/29/2022 at 12:57 AM, MarkM said:

A month later and the growth of the Spiderplant in my 29 gallon has really taken off.  I realized I was starving the tank of phosphates, the tank was essentially at 0.  I started dosing Seachem phosphates to 3ppm and it's now nicer than any of my potted spider plants.  Which isn't saying much, I'm much more successful with aquarium plants than house plants (which is itself a low bar). 20220328.29gSpiderTop.jpeg.e69d061019c6bfa64805e5dc8fa1c41a.jpeg

20220328.29gSpiderRoot.jpeg.ea44aeed4ea397e87effa922be303439.jpeg

@Mark Mhow did u figure out the phosphate problem?

I don’t know how well this will work, but I want to give basil a shot in my tank. I know you can grow it hydroponically, so I’m thinking about attempting something like that. If it helps the water quality, great, but my wife loves basil so it’d be nice to have around!

• Love 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:28 PM, RadMax8 said:

I don’t know how well this will work, but I want to give basil a shot in my tank. I know you can grow it hydroponically, so I’m thinking about attempting something like that. If it helps the water quality, great, but my wife loves basil so it’d be nice to have around!

A hydroponic herb garden for your kitchen tank. What a wonderful idea.

http://AquaSprouts Garden, Self-Sustaining Desktop Aquarium Aquaponics Ecosystem Kit, fits Standard 10 Gallon Aquariums https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B4ZRVR4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_HZ4VV9856QA6ARDNVCDZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1