Best material for tight fitting lid?

Scapexghost

I need to create a tight fitting lid for a 29 gallon tank w/ an african butterfly fish in it. Im not a fan of the glass lids sould b/c the black hinge is right in the middle where the light is. I a also not a fan of the little plasic peases they come with feel like a cop-out and aren't very pleasing to look at. Glass won't work w/o the right tools(which i don't have) andacrylic bows over time(is this an issue on smaller tanks like 29s?). Lexan/polycarbonate is what i've seen recommended but it's a little expensive. Are there any other options to consider b4 i pick up some lexan?

Not exactly what you asked but you can use fiberglass screening. It will prevent the fish from jumping out; it is extremely cheap and you can cut it exactly as you like (poke holes for tubing and stuff); and if you mess up for free you can reado it since the stuff is usually sold in rolls that will fit many 29s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2022 at 12:20 AM, anewbie said:

Not exactly what you asked but you can use fiberglass screening. It will prevent the fish from jumping out; it is extremely cheap and you can cut it exactly as you like (poke holes for tubing and stuff); and if you mess up for free you can reado it since the stuff is usually sold in rolls that will fit many 29s.

That would work to stop the fish from jumping but i forgot to mention the light i plan to use isn't waterproof so i won't be able to use something like that.

Twinwall greenhouse panels can be fairly easily cut to fit and strong tape can be used to make a hinge.  It is significantly thicker than glass but transmits light very well, transmitting about 85% vs typical window glass at 81-82ish.  It doesn’t look as nice as glass, but can be cut to fit around your filter/hoses or holes drilled for airlines, cords, etc.  The open ends should be covered with clear tape (or you can use narrow, aluminum tape but I’ve tried that and don’t really like the look).  Moisture inside the channels can grow algae and that would be extremely difficult to clean out of the panel.

Here’s a link but you should be able to find it at most big box home improvement stores.  Some only have full size panels (2’ x 8’), some have half size panels (2’ x 4’).  Easily cut with a table saw or circular saw, or more slowly cut with a hack saw.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Palram-Sunlite-24-in-x-48-in-x-5-16-in-Polycarbonate-Clear-Twinwall-Sheet-174040/305560353

• Thanks 2

I'm not sure how great of an idea it'll be (since I haven't done it yet) 
But for my 10g tank, I'm planning on getting a terrarium lid (Basically a wire mesh lid) that matches the size of the 10g.

I'm doing that because I'm having to use my ring light for plant growth on my 6.5g, because the LED that is installed into the lid isn't giving off enough light and the lid for that tank is bending. 
But- cheap plastic, what can you do? It was a kit aquarium. 

I know evaporation will be an issue with the terrarium lid, but I already have evaporation issues with the plastic one- and my main concern is fish jumping out. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2022 at 9:12 AM, Swampbones said:

I'm not sure how great of an idea it'll be (since I haven't done it yet) 
But for my 10g tank, I'm planning on getting a terrarium lid (Basically a wire mesh lid) that matches the size of the 10g.

I'm doing that because I'm having to use my ring light for plant growth on my 6.5g, because the LED that is installed into the lid isn't giving off enough light and the lid for that tank is bending. 
But- cheap plastic, what can you do? It was a kit aquarium. 

I know evaporation will be an issue with the terrarium lid, but I already have evaporation issues with the plastic one- and my main concern is fish jumping out. 

The wire reptile lid is very effective. Our apartment is in high desert, average humidity is 11%.

(Tank screen with light slid back)

1645148556745236974363248624793.jpg.47840d9bb39a69aa427ac68a87eb7cac.jpg

As long as I keep ¾ of the tank water protected with plants, we lose less than an inch a week to evaporation. 

16451486807781978316373124132753.jpg.45ee09e808aec8c2154a56dff822eb9f.jpg

(View from above, with both shop lights on top of the wire mesh screen and the hinge in the middle)

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I made my granddaughter a lid for her aquarium out of plastic egg crate used for ceiling lights.  You can get it at any building supply place like Home Depot. It's easy to cut, it fits her tank perfectly-keeps the fish in and her cat out 🙂

Edited by dmurray407
  • Thanks 1