What is everyones favourite fish?

Flynn Naysmith

Among fish that I've kept, it would have to be my oscars.  Long gone now (~15 years ago), but I really enjoyed their personalities, they were very fun.  What's not fun is looking back on how little I knew about fishkeeping back then (even having like eight aquariums).  😬

Just got discus earlier this week and I could see them taking the mantle, they seem like they're going to have at least a bit of that interactive factor and they're beautiful.  My discus tank sat empty so long that I was almost afraid that I would wake up one morning to find that I'd gone an bought an oscar in my sleep.  😄

Spike:

No photo description available.

Squirt:

No photo description available.

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I will always love my discus line that I bred for the bluest electric blue with teal.

That was in the late 80's? Early 90's? Long enough ago that I can't remember?🤣

They were my first bucket list/holy grail, breeding success story. I'm not willing to go through the work to breed them in the desert anymore, but they have my fondest memories. 

Now I am looking for things that might not exist anymore. There were so many gorgeous fish in Mexico, and each cenote had its own specific color variations of same species. Lots of cichlids, but also smaller, brilliantly colored fish in the cenote near Tulum. I never found out their scientific latin names.

A friend sent me pictures, the cenote has fallen victim to tourism.... apparently a lot of species of fish have not been seen in a while. If I can find out what the nano jeweled fish were, I would like to try breeding them in a tank if I can find any.

The cenote was 75° in the top 12" and then the temperature dropped rapidly. Fish moved between 60° F water and 75° F water like it was no big deal, so shouldn't need a heater.

At any rate, those are the fish I have been dreaming about...

• Like 1