What was your frustrating fish hobby moment in the last week or two?

Kathy F

On 2/13/2022 at 12:33 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

Not yet.

So worth keeping one on hand. I think that’s how I resolved an Ich outbreak in my 100 gallon in just a few days. I had one because I was getting persistent green water (can’t grow it in my culture tanks but I’m excellent at growing it in display tanks 🤦🏻‍♀️🙄).  So I added low dose salt, bumped the temp up, and popped in the UV sterilizer (smallish for my tank size but it cleared up the green water fast, so it was worth running).  Last new lesion seen was only a couple days later, last lesion cleared by 7 days and it was a single stubborn spot on one ember tetra.  Everybody else was clear by day 5 after the first spot was noted.

It will get a lot of the microscopic parasites like Ich or Epistylis, so very worth trying if you have one or can get one for a reasonable price. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 9:56 AM, Odd Duck said:

So worth keeping one on hand. I think that’s how I resolved an Ich outbreak in my 100 gallon in just a few days. I had one because I was getting persistent green water (can’t grow it in my culture tanks but I’m excellent at growing it in display tanks 🤦🏻‍♀️🙄).  So I added low dose salt, bumped the temp up, and popped in the UV sterilizer (smallish for my tank size but it cleared up the green water fast, so it was worth running).  Last new lesion seen was only a couple days later, last lesion cleared by 7 days and it was a single stubborn spot on one ember tetra.  Everybody else was clear by day 5 after the first spot was noted.

It will get a lot of the microscopic parasites like Ich or Epistylis, so very worth trying if you have one or can get one for a reasonable price. 

Interesting. For some reason I thought UV sterilizers were only used in canister filters. I didn't know there were just little ones you can put inside your tank. Good to know! 

On 2/13/2022 at 10:23 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

Interesting. For some reason I thought UV sterilizers were only used in canister filters. I didn't know there were just little ones you can put inside your tank. Good to know! 

Yep. I’m rather anti-canister, so checked into the in-tank ones. Apparently there are also tiny HOB ones.  The Green Machine that I have would be VERY large for anything smaller than a 20 gallon. It was only $40.00 or so but works like a charm.  I did add thin sponge filter pieces for the intake since I have tiny chili rasboras in my 100 gallon and I worried about them fitting through the slots. 

• Like 1

Well my frustration today (it actually started friday) is that the co2 level in my 40b isn't stable. I have a co2art regulator but for some reason after several months of stability it suddenly jumped (the co2 tank is no where close to empty). I noticed the problem because my kubotai were gasping at the top of the tank. Ok quickly turn it off; then turn it back on and adjust it down. i have no clue why it jumped so high but the past 2 days of adjustment has caused a noticeable outbreak in bba - so i have to check the levels tomorrow and see if they are now at an acceptable stable level (it really stuns the fishes when co2 is too high and i worry about long term impact); then i'll have to deal with this new increase in co2. I already had a bba issue but it was very localized in a small area but with the co2 flux it has spread quite a bit mostly in the back of the tank which is annoying. 

On 2/12/2022 at 10:48 AM, Tanked said:

Must be a bad week or two for heaters!

This weeks frustration: Finding that he planted tank is off by 8 degrees to the cold side, and not being able to find the programming instructions.   

The real Saturday frustration was not being able to find any setup instructions on the web!  I eventually found my printed instructions.

The Sunday frustration was was successfully resetting the heater several times only to have it default to the preset 68F