Betta Imbellis

Fish Folk

You, sir, remind me of a friend of mine in our local club.  He bred more ACA recognized cichlids than anyone outside of Chicago last year (what is it with Chicago and cichlids?!).  He's always got his eyes on the next project, but loves each species along the way.  It takes a special kind of dedication and passion to do what you do.  And I wouldn't have fully recognized it if I hadn't seen someone similarly driven locally.  Hats off to you, sir! 

To the folks reading here, it's even more impressive than you think.  I assure you! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 9:01 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

You, sir, remind me of a friend of mine in our local club.  He bred more ACA recognized cichlids than anyone outside of Chicago last year (what is it with Chicago and cichlids?!).  He's always got his eyes on the next project, but loves each species along the way.  It takes a special kind of dedication and passion to do what you do.  And I wouldn't have fully recognized it if I hadn't seen someone similarly driven locally.  Hats off to you, sir! 

To the folks reading here, it's even more impressive than you think.  I assure you! 

Thanks kindly! I realized just now that I uploaded the wrong video. Check it out again, and you’ll see the pair embracing.  Male is guarding eggs in nest now.

We have a few Betta fry! Pardon the video dump, but I want to document this process thoroughly. For many fish breeders, Betta splendens breeding is big yawn. But for me, there is a long story. I’ve waited awhile to add these to my “belt” of successes.

Video #1 - Betta fry appearance, male Betta moved out…

Video #2 - Planning a “feeding port” for Betta fry…

Video #3 - Vinegar Eel culture…

Video #4 - Feeding V. Eels through the “port”…

Video #5 - Harvesting Banana Eels…

Video #6 - A second look at Betta fry…

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Similar concept to hospital patient with the port in their hand. Staff can draw blood or inject medicine into it without having to further poke/wound the patient.

The fry look just as small as the live food cultures!

I wonder if you could rinse the vinegar eels in a brine shrimp net?  Then it would be no acid into the tank.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

Well done!

Love your port idea, it’s genius!  A smaller syringe and shorter tubing might be easier on the port since it would stand upright and be an easier funnel to deal with.  It only needs to be big enough to accept the tubing or the tip of the transport syringe.  A 3 ml syringe would be lighter and not bend the tubing over.  Maybe try the transport syringe without the tubing, just draw up and run the water with eels/worms directly into the “funnel” syringe.  Then when you replace the plunger into the port syringe it will push all the feeding down into the tub.

If you want the port tubing to kink and mostly close off between feedings without needing to have the plunger in the syringe, keep the larger syringe on a short piece of soft silicone tubing.  It will fold when not held upright and close off the port for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Daughter and I stumbled across your journey while looking at b. imbellis and was sucked into your journey. Wanted to say we are “patiently” waiting for updates! She has a soft spot for bettas and loved your jar shelf. 

• Love 1

On 1/18/2024 at 10:26 AM, TwistedLady said:

Daughter and I stumbled across your journey while looking at b. imbellis and was sucked into your journey. Wanted to say we are “patiently” waiting for updates! She has a soft spot for bettas and loved your jar shelf. 

Great! I posted a condensed video series on another thread here recently...

Here is how I use the “pic line” to drain water from the baby betta tub…

Here is how Daphnia are fed back through the port…

And here is a closeup look at the babies. It’s a theory of mine that many bottom-budget box-store Bettas are the “outcasts” of breeding projects. Desired fish go to higher end buyers. However, due to mendellian genetics, fish tend to look like their grandparents. SO, breed a so-so pair from the bargain rack, and you might get some very pretty orchids. (Might…)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Lot of work - i was reading the frys need high humidity pocket above their tank to allow their organ to develop properly. It wasn't really about imbellis but rather con something or other - another wild betta like fish but i presume it is the same. Also they (older juvi and adults) love to jump so you need an air pocket with a lid. Hum. 

• Like 1

That is a very clever way to feed in a way that keeps the humidity up! I am interested in Microctenopoma ansorgii... Were they prone to jumping like wild bettas? I have an open top rimless aquarium... 😬

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 12:39 PM, oS3R0o said:

That is a very clever way to feed in a way that keeps the humidity up! I am interested in Microctenopoma ansorgii... Were they prone to jumping like wild bettas? I have an open top rimless aquarium... 😬

My M. ansorgii never jumped out, but my B. imbellis did…

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 9:29 PM, Fish Folk said:

Boo yeah! Planning to part with these youngsters in another week or so…

So soon? They grew fast ! My apisto take at least 6 months before they are ready to leave.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 7:06 PM, anewbie said:

They don't fight; is this species passive or will they fight as adults ?

They will fight. In just a few weeks, this tub becomes a tornado of death. I’m parting with all of them by this time next week! Giving two to a friend in town, and about 20x to my LFS employees.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2024 at 3:58 PM, Dancing Matt said:

How do you sex your bettas?

At this stage, I just gauge fin length. Males grow longer anal and caudal fins. After 5-6 months, females should display their egg spot between ventral fins.

• Thanks 1