Plants I can get at Petco Recommendation for 10gal betta tank

The plants in the tubes are sometimes in good shape. Check them carefully before buying. I’ve scored some great ones but I’ve also had some with rotten roots. The Java fern and Anubias are usually good choices. They’re grown in air so they’re go through a conversion period when you put them in the tank. Don’t worry if the Java fern gets ratty and loses a ton of leaves, it’ll come back, just give it time. 
Do you have a light that can grow plants? If you’re on a budget a shop light or inexpensive aquarium LED from Amazon will work fine. And don’t forget some fertilizer. Aquarium co-op Easy Green is great but there are others, just make sure whatever you get is a full range comprehensive blend. 

• Like 1

The plants they sell in the tubes are excellent but you will be limited- they usually have species of Anubias and Java Fern which I highly recommend- you wouldn't plant either of those plants you glue them to your mopani wood or another decoration. Some species are very tall some grow shorter which will help you decide where to put them (if you look on the tube make sure it says AQUATIC PLANT NOT SEMI-AQUATIC and it should ID species and approximate height).  The roots usually find their way to the substrate but the rhizone of the plant should not be buried. They also sell compact Amazon Swords that make good middle or background plants. Also for a betta tank they have a selection of "betta buddies" Species of plant I've already mentioned glued to rocks for you. They're not inexpensive however I've gotten some pretty cool combos. They also sell Aponogeton bulbs and sometimes ones that have already started growing- they get really big and are fun. The bonus is the majority of what they sell are easy care. - I don't use fertilizers and they all do awesome.

**as @Patrick_G says check the tube plants for rotten leaves and see if you can see nice clean roots. I've had a couple that looked really good with only 1 or 2 deceased leaves and I've cut them off and those did well anyway. I've also gotten several "bonus plants" as often they tie some together with thread which you can cut off. Most of my tanks are exclusively plants like this. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 3

On 2/7/2022 at 6:12 PM, Patrick_G said:

The plants in the tubes are sometimes in good shape. Check them carefully before buying. I’ve scored some great ones but I’ve also had some with rotten roots. The Java fern and Anubias are usually good choices. They’re grown in air so they’re go through a conversion period when you put them in the tank. Don’t worry if the Java fern gets ratty and loses a ton of leaves, it’ll come back, just give it time. 
Do you have a light that can grow plants? If you’re on a budget a shop light or inexpensive aquarium LED from Amazon will work fine. And don’t forget some fertilizer. Aquarium co-op Easy Green is great but there are others, just make sure whatever you get is a full range comprehensive blend. 

Yeah, I have a light that can grow the plants. I do already have some liquid fertilizer, so I’m good on that front too. I just wasn’t sure how petco’s plant selection was since I’ve gotten most of my plants by ordering online from local aquaswaps. I know petco’s stuff ( and petsmart) has some things that are guaranteed to be free of pest snails which is one of the big things I’m looking for.

So, they didn’t have a whole lot of variety so I ended up getting some Anubis and some other stuff i’ll have to look at again bc i can’t remember off hand. 

Anyways…..I also got this guy because he was too ugly to pass up. He’ll be going into my 15gal. No self control on my part, haha. Good thing I have tanks that are cycled. 

5115F671-7C21-41A6-BE36-ED5CF2680678.jpeg

820C2300-9D36-4863-A203-F646FB266E8E.jpeg

D4186FA2-0A24-4650-B42F-6C4FA8F951D2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Looks like I'm late to this thread, but both the Petcos in my area usually have more plant variety in the water filled aquatic plant tank (if yours has one of those). I've seen hornwort, bacopa, wisteria, and hydrocotyle tripartita there a few times. However they're often not labeled so you have to know what you're looking at. It's something I check on every time I'm there.

I've had pretty good luck with the tube plants. I have a giant amazon sword I got from Petco, several anubias and a windelov variety java fern

• Like 2

They also have some tissue culture plants - they usually are hanging on a rack above the tubes. I have found some fun crypts, anubias nana petite, ludwigia and rotala as well as ar mini and I think I saw a cup with moss in it. I would use them right away as gosh knows how long they have been there. I would put some root tabs under any stems you buy. 

Remember anubia, java ferns, and bucephelandra need to be glued to a rock or that mopani wood with gel super glue made with cryoacrylate. 

Couple of comments - in addition to java fern and anubia; crypts are good options. Also you said you picked up an apongeton; do you know which type? Is it a bulb or has it sprouted; if sprouted post a picture of the leaves. There are 4 or 5 popular ones but the only one that really stays small is the narrow leaf lace plant and crispus. Most of the others will eventually out grow a 10; though the wide leaf lace might take a long time in a low tech tank. 

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1