Live Brine Shrimp from LFS or Purchase a hatchery??

There is a new LFS that opened near me (YAY). I go in there and nerd out with the owners.. LOL. We were talking about puffers (how much we love them ect), and I mentioned that I never tried live brine shrimp with him (AKA Gazoo the diva puppy fish). He said he feed his with live baby brine and put some in a bag for me to try and see if he would eat it (he only likes LIVE snails) he will eat blood worms if desperate.. LOL. 

WELL.. HE LOVED THEM! as did ALL the other fish.. here is my question

I keep hearing that these are not very nutritious but not sure if that is true or not. also, I feed my fish once a day every SECOND day (unless I have fry). I had them on my counter in my ACO clear box with an air stone. They did fine for a few days.. but did not feel confident to keep them around too long. 

I don't know if I should just purchase them from the LFS to feed from time to time? Should I invest in a brine shrimp hatchery for them? Do I have to use ALL of the ones that are live/hatched? do they have a "use by" certain time guideline? 

I just want to know a little more before I "commit" to purchasing a hatchery. 

The ziss is so easy and you can hatch any amount small or large. In the end it pays for itself. I vote hatchery. Any unhatched can be frozen in a silicone ice cube tray to use at your discretion. New hatch baby brine are fantastic nutrition once the yolk is absorbed and they grow not so much. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 3:08 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

@Guppysnail how long can they stay alive in the hatchery? My other fish will eat them frozen. Gazoo... nope.. if it ain't swimming.. he doesn't want it.. #DIVA 🙂 

How do I know the Yolk is absorbed? how long will they live in the hatchery? do I have to throw out or freeze after how many days

They will live for 2-3 days in the hatchery. After that they will die off because of ammonia. I set up the hatchery, then I harvest at 24, 36, and 48 hours. Then my fish are getting bbs at least once per day, and twice every other day.

On 2/3/2022 at 3:08 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

how long can they stay alive in the hatchery? My other fish will eat them frozen. Gazoo... nope.. if it ain't swimming.. he doesn't want it.. #DIVA 🙂 

How do I know the Yolk is absorbed? how long will they live in the hatchery? do I have to throw out or freeze after how many days

They can live in the hatchery for several days depending on how many eggs/water ratio you use. A high ratio and the hatch can crash after 36 hours, low ratio and you can let it be for several days. The BBS develop very quickly, you will be able see the difference between what you harvest at 24 hours vs 48 hours. IMO they are an amazing food at whatever stage you feed them to fish, my fish all look healthier, put on size, and breed better when I'm feeding BBS consistently.

It's easy to built yourself a hatchery, and if you want you can just hatch them in a dish to test and if you like BBS upgrade to a hatchery. Sounds like you enjoy the hobby though and would enjoy a hatchery.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1
  • Like 2

@Sandra the fish rookie

I use the ziss hatchery for the baby brine with the coop eggs and they run on a 3 day rotation here when feeding fry or conditioning adults. I just harvest at 36 hours and reset the hatchery. I have also used bottles before with the same timeline of results. I do not keep the brine shrimp in there longer than 36 hours. I am only using it for the baby brine size of the shrimp. if I keep it going without a reset they generally will crash between 40 and 48 hours up here. I believe they are fairly nutritious but like all foods not a complete food by themselves. I rotate the puffer fry from live brine and vinegar eels to daphnia, whiteworms, cherry shrimp, snails, and earthworms 

I have done adult brine shrimp accidentally in the dish version of a hatcher before. Those are alien looking level nuts. I would probably try and do a longer term brine shrimp colony using a 10 gallon + tank with the standard salt concentration to hatch and some sort of filtration. That set up would also need some sort of water changing routine and maintaining salinity if the plan was a colony of different sizes. I am not that level of dedication to them or the chemistry of salt water. I hatch live brine myself in a hatcher as needed. If I had a LFS and needed them occasionally while I was there I would buy brine shrimp from a store especially if they had mature brine shrimp and that was something I was trying to feed to fish.  

** additional info **

After further review of some of my fishroom references on live foods the common brine shrimp culture is essentially an 80 degree saltwater version of a daphnia culture. The more volume of water is better for culture stability whixh is why it is done outside in simething like those plastic kid pools in some areas of the country.  The shrimp eat similar foods to daphina like spirulina powder, green water, yeast mixes, planktons.

The key to brine shrimp appears to be to try and keep the salinity matched between the water you add and the water in your brine shrimp culture tank. Im not a saltwater guy but id assume that is the same for all salt water fish. That consistency should limit some stress on the brine shrimp and lower the risk of reduced production or a complete crash of the culture 

Harvesting adults normally starts around day 30 with a fish net of a coarse enough mesh that it catches the larger sizes of shrimp needed to feed while the smaller shrimp can pass through the mesh and continue to grow and eventually reproduce. I am gueseing if a consistent portion of the bigger shrimp were harvested every 3 days or so it could be a reliable long term culture. 

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 2

The ones that I received from the LFS were a decent size and lively little buggers.. they moved around everywhere.. what was the most bizarre thing, was my armanos ate them too!! I FREAKED! I was so surprised.  

I think I am going to just do it! I will get the hatchery, and that way I will never run out of food for Gazoo and he will have more choices than just little snails (which I still want to keep in all my tanks as good cleaners). 

I am sure there is a how too video somewhere on how to do this stuff?

OH one more thing.. Do I need to rinse them off? Is the salt water an issue?

On 2/3/2022 at 5:24 PM, The Canuck ScottyK said:

Canada,

@The Canuck ScottyK Where in Canada are you? I am from Quebec and relocated to NC 14 yrs ago. You must be in BC? I graduated from UBC 🙂. Its a small world

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 4:08 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

@Guppysnail how long can they stay alive in the hatchery? My other fish will eat them frozen. Gazoo... nope.. if it ain't swimming.. he doesn't want it.. #DIVA 🙂 

I keep mine for 2 days. I drain some rinse and replace lost water in Hatcher with conditioned tap water. I can barely see them so I have no idea how to tell if the yolk is absorbed if I make a big batch I freeze right away. 

On 2/3/2022 at 4:45 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

Live plants won't be a fan of added salt, fish will tolerate it to an extent but salt will only leave the aquarium when you do water changes so unless the salt concentration is kept in check with a water change schedule I would rinse.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 5:45 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

The ones that I received from the LFS were a decent size and lively little buggers.. they moved around everywhere.. what was the most bizarre thing, was my armanos ate them too!! I FREAKED! I was so surprised.  

I think I am going to just do it! I will get the hatchery, and that way I will never run out of food for Gazoo and he will have more choices than just little snails (which I still want to keep in all my tanks as good cleaners). 

@The Canuck ScottyK Where in Canada are you? I am from Quebec and relocated to NC 14 yrs ago. You must be in BC? I graduated from UBC 🙂. Its a small world

Did the store give you adult brine shrimp or newly hatched baby brine shrimp?

The ziss hatchery is ideal for daily hatching of tiny baby brine shrimp.

This is a link to the advice I got when I asked a similar question . Lots of info on how to make a hatchery in there.

I bought a smaller hatchery off eBay in the end (no coop for me either) and it's not much effort if you have a good space to leave it set up. 

I probably feed it once a week I strain the shrimp so it's only about a teaspoon of salt water in a 230l tank so not a concern for me. Your lfs might sell a brine shrimp kit to make up for the lack of live food sales

Edited by Flumpweesel
Missed a bit