6 hours ago, Taylor Blake said:

Awesome!!! I am going to try to breed mine this year as well do you have any more Pictures or videos of how the breeding and raising went for you. How old are the ones in your pond?

3A96B0FA-6654-4B45-B49B-2856B7F849BF.jpeg

A2370210-8480-4D0D-9DD1-0B589E312E9F.jpeg

I made a post on here already about how I bred mine. Raising up is pretty much like other fish, alot of bbs 

About 4-5 month old

Edited by WhitecloudDynasty

1 hour ago, Cory said:

Has anyone had luck keeping them colored up in a tank most of the year, or only during breeding season?

I have a trick to get them to fully color up sooner in life, since it take them a long time to get their color and even longer to get their full adult color, my lfs can't sell a plain minnow at 15$ lol. I plan to line breed fish that show color sooner, better color(blue family and red family) and perfect conformation. 

As for 100% fire up thats base on day by day, but its pretty often, about once a week even now when the temp drop to 50ish. 

If you watched to video all of these are about the same age, only a few weeks apart. Anyway the color up fish in the video was part of my testing all male got their full adult color within the testing, I brought in more to see if I can recreate it again. If this work hopefully they can become more popular and my lfs can move more of them at a younger age.

I'm not gonna say what the project is until I can prove it a few more time. But I'm sure you can guess it 😏.

Thats only my experience with this family.

Edited by WhitecloudDynasty
  • Like 1

I am inspired by @WhitecloudDynasty. I spawn fish. @WhitecloudDynasty breeds fish.

I love baby fish, but breeding would add an additional dimension to the game.

• I would need more than just a few fry, hundreds would be better for selection
  • I might have to keep separate breeding lines to keep breeding options available
  • Everything we have in the hobby was developed by someone like @WhitecloudDynasty
  • Setting a goal, working hard and then reaching the goal is one of the best things in life
  • Setting a goal, working hard and failing and then trying again is pretty good too

This is why I love the Forum. It is a source of endless inspiration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Taylor Blake said:

I have a friend who keeps only males and he will have at least 3 colored up at one time he only has 7 but they are red when not colored up and when they are Colored up they go that  brilliant blue. He feeds a lot of blood worms and krill in that tank so the reds really pop.

Mine stay blue and pink and turn red when fire up

12 hours ago, Daniel said:

I am inspired by @WhitecloudDynasty. I spawn fish. @WhitecloudDynasty breeds fish.

I love baby fish, but breeding would add an additional dimension to the game.

• I would need more than just a few fry, hundreds would be better for selection
  • I might have to keep separate breeding lines to keep breeding options available
  • Everything we have in the hobby was developed by someone like @WhitecloudDynasty
  • Setting a goal, working hard and then reaching the goal is one of the best things in life
  • Setting a goal, working hard and failing and then trying again is pretty good too

This is why I love the Forum. It is a source of endless inspiration.

Thanks for your kind words. I'm just a normal backyard bredder, that have goals set very high lol

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2020 at 1:36 AM, Cory said:

Has anyone had luck keeping them colored up in a tank most of the year, or only during breeding season?

Mine are coloured up and seem to spawn every week or two. (After further observation it’s every 13-20 days)

Edited by JoefishGofish
New information

They are only in full display for about 18 hours but there seems to build a waxing and waning period (so to speak). 
No idea what triggers it, just going with the flow. 
I bought them in the spring and kept them a couple months indoors. Then outside in a pond for 4 months and now back inside. 
Temp is about 68F.  No heater. 

I might try WhiteCloudDynasty’s breeding setup.....it’s gonna be a long winter.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2020 at 5:38 PM, JoefishGofish said:

They are only in full display for about 18 hours but there seems to build a waxing and waning period (so to speak). 
No idea what triggers it, just going with the flow. 
I bought them in the spring and kept them a couple months indoors. Then outside in a pond for 4 months and now back inside. 
Temp is about 68F.  No heater. 

I might try WhiteCloudDynasty’s breeding setup.....it’s gonna be a long winter.  

If you do try it make sure "she" is ready, cause the male is alway ready and can rub her side open if left in there too long. May take more than a few try to get the hang of your breeders.