How would YOU set up a tank for THESE??

Fish Folk

@Fish Folk well going based off some quick research of their natural habitat I just did and my experience, if I wanted to colony breed them, I would put them in a tank similar to my 40 gallon except with crypts that are spaced out a little wider given their size.

I would get a school of 10 (5 minimum) in a 40 breeder or 75 gallon for larger schools, some rock work, driftwood optional, pool filter sand substrate or similar, lots of crypts or other plants that can be dense yet they can swim between and on, along with indian almond leaf litter, and a canopy of floating plants and/ or riparian plants to provide shade and foliage to forage(mine will spawn on the roots of pothos and under lilly leaves). 

And most importantly, various high protein foods that can stay in the aquarium for a long time for grazing. Live blackworms, frozen tubifex works, frozen blood worms, repashy, xtreme sinking wafers are all great foods. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

@Fish FolkI too always stop and stare and think about how I could come to own some. Just did that at The Wet Spot 2.5 weeks ago!

Brochis are a unique lineage, like Scleromystax, Aspidoras and Coryadoras they share characteristics but they are one of the larger species. I’d always heard that if you keep the bigger geos or South American cichlids these would be the one Cory you could consider. I think a 36” could work but they’d be happier with the extra room a 4 footer would provide. As @gardenmanmentioned a darker substrate will bring more green out of them. I think they’d be fine on black diamond medium which may be controversial to some but in the wild they’re on much worse. 

• Like 1

I would do a layer of pool filter sand or a little coarser play sand, some jungle val or dwarf sag. Quite a bit of leaf litter, and maybe even some small twigs from like an oak tree, sop that you get a little bit of a tint to the water, which I also think would help with bringing out that green iridescence on the sides of them. I would do a minimum group size of six, and put them in a 40 breeder with some pencilfish as dithers above them. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Beautiful. 

My bronze cory have all changed colors a bit since I swapped them from my 36B with pool filter sand to my 75 with BDBS; their bronze is much more vibrant now. I'm guessing you'd get something similar with those. 

Not saying that you should go that route but I'm very pleased with how much more colorful mine are on the new substrate.

On 1/11/2022 at 7:34 PM, Fish Folk said:

I rarely get that weak wobble pass through my knees when I walk through my LFS anymore and and see something new.

But this happened yesterday. I saw half a dozen of these…

4C3213A7-B55F-4002-BB03-54C6E62D42D6.jpeg.0f93c0fa3f494d90aeb35f8566b2b0b2.jpeg

Corydoras / Brochis Britskii

They get reasonably big as adults. ca. 8-cm.

How would YOU set up a tank for THESE??

@CorydorasEthan

@Isaac M

Ah yes some of my favorites!

I would go basically with what @Isaac M (by the way, great suggestions) was saying. Kind of an Amazonian style tank with driftwood and plants. Dwarf aquarium lilies are great because they block out a lot of light. Here's a picture of mine back when I had it.

292668108_29GallonPlantedJungleCommunity2-27-2021.JPG.595d32938f27cf8213981491aff41cd7.JPG

Definitely go with a sand. Pool filter sand is what I use, but a darker sand would certainly bring out their colors too.

Also a lot of Java fern on the driftwood. My cories have started spawning on them, so maybe Brochis will too.

696360331_NewStart.jpg.06ded3459cd200e5a7c65fc2edacc0cc.jpg

For the size of the tank, I'd say anything upwards from a 40 gallon breeder (at least a 3 foot long tank since they are so big).

Hopes this helps, and good luck! I'm looking forward to see where this project goes!

• Like 4

That one is a chonker, but I do have these! The coloring is amazing. I have 4 in my 29G tetra tank. They love being able to hide when they want to relax, but come out to play regularly. They hang out under the sponge filter a lot or in this big barrel pile decoration I have that is surrounded by plants. Aside from that it's moderately planted. They school around a bit back and forth and when the light catches them right they shimmer so amazingly! I love corys and this may now be the most favorite of them all. They don't really fit under the shells but they hang around there. That's the Kuhli zone though so it's still used well.
Hard water, 7.2 ph, 75-78 degrees is the average parameters.

No description available.

No description available.

Edited by Blaha
Pics or it Didn't happen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agree with the darker substrate but I would also make sure to put a hefty amount down there, as they like burrow. Probably sand rather than rock or coral. I would add lots of plant coverage. 

Pictured: Albino Cory

948B1AC3-7881-46C6-8B10-6177B043B98C.jpeg

Edited by Ashlyn
  • Like 1