Howdy from TX!

Preyhunter

Back in the hobby after a long hiatus (15+ years) and trying to do all things right this time!  I didn't test water and things like that before and wondered why I always lost fish in the beginning or why different things were happening to my fish.  I've done a lot of research since then and am ready to be a well-rounded (in more ways than one! haha) fishkeeper now.  Currently trying to wrap up a fishless tank cycle, which is why I joined this forum today.  If interested I will be posting that question over in the general discussion area shortly.  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, Preyhunter said:

Back in the hobby after a long hiatus (15+ years) and trying to do all things right this time!  I didn't test water and things like that before and wondered why I always lost fish in the beginning or why different things were happening to my fish.  I've done a lot of research since then and am ready to be a well-rounded (in more ways than one! haha) fishkeeper now.  Currently trying to wrap up a fishless tank cycle, which is why I joined this forum today.  If interested I will be posting that question over in the general discussion area shortly.  Thanks!

What area of Texas?  There are some active associations and clubs, especially in and around the more populous areas.  Swap meets, expos, etc.  I’m in the DFW Metroplex and happy to help however I can.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 3:53 PM, Odd Duck said:

What area of Texas?  There are some active associations and clubs, especially in and around the more populous areas.  Swap meets, expos, etc.  I’m in the DFW Metroplex and happy to help however I can.

I'm in the far north Fort Worth/Keller area.

• Like 1

Glad to hear your back!  I’m back to after about the same time out.   I remember one thing from an old man who raised paca that were about 18 inches. (He Fed them bananas and green leaf veggies). He said sometime the best thing is to do nothing and let the natural process take place.  So when your starting up that new tank you can do a few things to cycle.  Do a natural  -Normally without any store bought bacteria (long time 6-10 weeks) and a capful of Ammonia with a pinch of fish food. Do not add dirt form your garden! This may introduce harmful organisms. You can add 2 teaspoons of organic soil.  I.e miraclegrow that’s what (she)walstead method used.

in any event something the do nothing will establish a better bio filter in the long run and you won’t suffer fish loss. 🙂

• Like 1