Forgot this plants name

On 1/9/2022 at 5:51 PM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

Cool bit of info is that it's not actually an aquatic liverwort, but the gametophyte of an epiphytic fern (lomariopsis). They never turn into the sporophyte form (the fern) because subwassertang is all male.... and it's in the water.

Wow, I know a bit of horticulture and a tiny bit of botany but I’m going to have to do a bit of research to understand this 😁

• Like 1

Fern reproduction is kinda analogous to amphibian repro in animals. There are stages and phases that look nothing like the parent fern. They require water for it all to happen. Also there are some that have foregone the sporophyte (fern) stage and only exist as gametophytes (like paedomorphosis in axolotyls).

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine
  • Like 3

On 1/11/2022 at 8:27 PM, PineSong said:

In German, the letter that looks like a capital B in the middle of words is actually a double S. So it's Susswassertang, not Subwassertang, technically.

I've heard Americans pronounce it both ways, because we aren't so familiar with the double S.

Yes! It's called an eszett. I cannot get my wife to call the susswassertang anything but "sub" for the life of me. Drives me crazy! 😆

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2022 at 7:08 AM, Fish Folk said:

We bought a clump off an old aquarist two years ago and thought we’d lost it entirely. It grows so slowly.

But just the other day, I found it still at school, “smoking behind the gym” or something like that…

Something similar happened to me, except the part about it growing slowly.  I bought some from a hobbyist in another part of the country.  I believe she has soft, low pH water (mine is hard, with pH at 8.2).  She sent a beautiful clump that gradually dwindled until I thought it was all gone.  It was probably close to a year later that I noticed a few bits of it in the tank.  Before long it was growing well, and is now growing fast enough that I have extra to sell every few months.

• Like 1
  • Love 1