Heater Suggestions?

Levi_Aquatics

I'm not really sure what the true difference is from one heater to another. I'm sure there are more expensive heaters that have all kinds of bells and whistles but I have just a regular marineland brand heater in my 75 and it works great. I just set the temp and put it near my filter intake (and subsequently outtake) and warm water is spread all over the tank fairly evenly. I keep it relatively cool in my house (around 63-65 inside in the winter in GA) and it has been maintaining 75 degrees with 0 issues. Works well for me and didn't break my bank at around $30-$40.

In my opinion they are pretty hard all the same. I’ve used a ton high end high $ and cheapo ones. None have been more or less reliable than the other. @Atitagain turned me on to the vivosun metal with digital display and push button adjuster that it outside the tank a few months ago. I love them. I have them connected to an inkbird temp override controller for safety.  I will never again use a heater I can’t adjust from the outside of the tank. They have consistently held temp. I do use 2 heaters of less wattage on anything over 20 gallons on either side of the tank. Coop did a video on dual heaters confirming to me two work better. 

FB6C98AD-9E81-48C1-82DE-93696C6BDC86.png

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I got a great deal on a bulk lot of sicce scuba heaters back when I started setting up my room. I think they may have been discontinued so for new setups I use cheap aquatop heaters and go slightly undersized (based on common recommendations)

I combine them with heater controllers from inkbird and sometimes hygger on "important" or "hot" tanks

I agree with @Guppysnail the vivosun heaters are great. I don’t understand why more don’t go to making this way: titanium so much better than glass in a few ways, digital read out easy to read, efficient have always held good temperatures, and to be able to toggle a button to raise or lower temps. 
I’ve had one go out after over a year of use my other two are 7-ish months old and doing great. Price and lifespan are both comparable to the glass. 

only problem I see some of them don’t keep true temps, it holds at same temp but I might set it for 76F and it holds at 73F. Two of my three have this problem, could probably be calibrated correctly but I haven’t taken time to investigate because it holds temp so I just allow for it. 

On 1/6/2022 at 6:29 PM, Atitagain said:

I agree with @Guppysnail the vivosun heaters are great. I don’t understand why more don’t go to making this way: titanium so much better than glass in a few ways, digital read out easy to read, efficient have always held good temperatures, and to be able to toggle a button to raise or lower temps. 
I’ve had one go out after over a year of use my other two are 7-ish months old and doing great. Price and lifespan are both comparable to the glass. 

only problem I see some of them don’t keep true temps, it holds at same temp but I might set it for 76F and it holds at 73F. Two of my three have this problem, could probably be calibrated correctly but I haven’t taken time to investigate because it holds temp so I just allow for it. 

I found the same. I don’t go by the digital display but it is just to easy to push the button to adjust 😁. Then when I get it where I want it they have all held true to that temp. I verify hold temp by inkbird and laser gun. I have 6 of them running since august with zero fluctuations 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 6:32 PM, Guppysnail said:

I found the same. I don’t go by the digital display but it is just to easy to push the button to adjust 😁. Then when I get it where I want it they have all held true to that temp. I verify hold temp by inkbird and laser gun. I have 6 of them running since august with zero fluctuations 

That’s great testing, I will look at others but if they don’t have all these features I couldn’t be talked into buying one.

• Like 1

My favorite line of heater is the Fluval E Series Heaters. 

I've had one in my community tank for about 6months now and I haven't seen any problems. I like that you can set your desired temperture, and it'll show you the current temperture of the tank. Its a little pricey but IMO worth it. I hate it when heaters die out on you especially when its something you dont notice until its too late. 

I bought mine on amazon, I'll add a link:

Amazon Canada🍁

Amazon USA

Edited by James Black