New Member... Looking for some good fish people to help me identify a loach...

Hello Fishy People!

My name is Dawn. I'm new here. To be honest, I was ISO assistance in identifying a loach... But while here, I'd be happy to tell you about my tanks.

I'm new to the hobby - about 2 years in. I have every fish I started with (thank goodness) with the exception of a couple neons I lost soon after bringing them home from a really well known big box type Pet Store.

I have a 75 gallon pretty heavily planted aquarium. I've been on and off the wagon with CO2 injection, being successful with both approaches. Being an avid gardener of 20+ years, the planted tank isn't all that different. New names. More water.

Tank inhabitants:

1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

3 Albino Corydoras

6Peppered Corys (Mom, Dad, and 4 surviving (grown) babies that took us by surprise)

4 Habrosus and 2 Pygmies (I love my Corys)

5 Nerites (2 of which recently relocated to brackish)

4 Neons

and 1 silly loach my husband brought home from the same aforementioned big pet store. We've had him/her for quite some time now. I realize he/she would probably do better in a group, but the bottom feeding dynamic is beautiful here, and everyone mingles beautifully. (Also, the pet store sold him the last one they had, with a firm promise it would solve our ramshorn woes... Sigh)

Anyway... I do also have a 39 gallon tank, lightly planted, inhabited by a thriving ghost shrimp colony 

And last, but certainly not least, I have a Green Spotted Puffer (sold to me as "freshwater") in a brackish tank. His name is Murderface. He's a good friend.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all. 

I'll attach a picture of Zig Zag (the mysterious loach) Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! 16411246147201178615756100986020.jpg.458aec76794259f1c04d84bc4497ea01.jpg

Sorry if it's a bit blurry. Let me know if you need something better. I swear, he plays games with me the second he sees the camera.

• Like 3

Your loachie does look like a yo-yo type of thing, but I think there are other variations that are much less common. Probably all sold as the same thing, idk. I know Dansfish.com recently had some pseudo yo-yos in and he said he really couldn't be sure what to make of them. 

On 1/2/2022 at 5:59 AM, burrowinghabits said:

Hello Fishy People!

My name is Dawn. I'm new here. To be honest, I was ISO assistance in identifying a loach... But while here, I'd be happy to tell you about my tanks.

I'm new to the hobby - about 2 years in. I have every fish I started with (thank goodness) with the exception of a couple neons I lost soon after bringing them home from a really well known big box type Pet Store.

I have a 75 gallon pretty heavily planted aquarium. I've been on and off the wagon with CO2 injection, being successful with both approaches. Being an avid gardener of 20+ years, the planted tank isn't all that different. New names. More water.

Tank inhabitants:

1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

3 Albino Corydoras

6Peppered Corys (Mom, Dad, and 4 surviving (grown) babies that took us by surprise)

4 Habrosus and 2 Pygmies (I love my Corys)

5 Nerites (2 of which recently relocated to brackish)

4 Neons

and 1 silly loach my husband brought home from the same aforementioned big pet store. We've had him/her for quite some time now. I realize he/she would probably do better in a group, but the bottom feeding dynamic is beautiful here, and everyone mingles beautifully. (Also, the pet store sold him the last one they had, with a firm promise it would solve our ramshorn woes... Sigh)

Anyway... I do also have a 39 gallon tank, lightly planted, inhabited by a thriving ghost shrimp colony 

And last, but certainly not least, I have a Green Spotted Puffer (sold to me as "freshwater") in a brackish tank. His name is Murderface. He's a good friend.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all. 

I'll attach a picture of Zig Zag (the mysterious loach) Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! 16411246147201178615756100986020.jpg.458aec76794259f1c04d84bc4497ea01.jpg

Sorry if it's a bit blurry. Let me know if you need something better. I swear, he plays games with me the second he sees the camera.

Welcome to the forum! Great looking tanks you have there! I happen to be a fan of Corydoras too.

The loach looks to me like a yo yo loach (Botia almorhae) or an angelicus loach (Botia kubotai) to me, though there are several other Botia loaches that have a similar pattern, so I can't be too sure on which one it is.

Hope this helps!