Emerald Killifish Journal

Fish Folk

I’ve decided to start another journal, so people interested in breeding and keeping similar Killis. Right now, I’m just breeding and keeping Emerald Killifish — Fundulopanchax Scheeli.

6C8BAEEA-E579-453B-BCFA-DDEFF888BC20.jpeg.e1830a69a69216de4f6f099809dc886e.jpeg

Here’s a link to another long post from BAP here on the Forum.

Today, I’ve just found the first of some new fry hatched. Here’s a video of the find…

Now, there’s a few feeding options to try. One is vinegar eels. I’ll post a video showing how I serve those up. But, here’s a breeder’s trick for feeding micro infusoria from a sponge filter squeezing. Just don’t overdo this. While this will seem like magic to some aquarists, there’s a cautionary tale here for others. But here you go…

Step # 1

Step # 2

• Like 4
  • Love 4

On 11/28/2021 at 9:25 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

This is a great early food and thanks for the how to! Hopefully I’ll be able to use this when I get some F. Gardneri fry!

I do keep a vinegar culture going. Fed those to the Killi fry this eve. The sponge-filter-squeezings may work best for species with even smaller fry. I have had breeders caution about spoiling the water. I think the same applies to using hard boiled egg-yolk for fry. A little bit goes a long way. But it’s sure nice to know that there are some easy hold-over methods to keep fry alive. 

On 11/28/2021 at 9:48 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Fish Folkthe breeder I got my steel blue p82s from seems to think these fry can take BBS right from hatch but I may supplement with a powdered food as well as try some of this infusoria in rotation.

I think most breeders go for bbs asap. Very early hatch is nice and small. I like how small the Co-Op artemia hatch out. At 36 hrs from starting a batch, I can find nice small ones. 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Decided to consolidate all Fundulopanchax Scheeli to the big colony today. After musing about what to do with tanks in stand underneath here, I made a surprise discovery of Scheeli fry that are surviving in the colony:

Then I cleared out the 2.5 grow-out and the breeding 10-gal. If fish will have fry on their own without me doing tons of work, that’s amazing! 😂

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I decided to “invest” in a cheap LED designed for aquariums. I typically use shop LEDs that cost $10 / ea. at 5-K, they put off a lot of yellow light, and grow plants just fine:

5EBC5C75-68AD-4AAB-B662-7F6CD73CC7B4.jpeg.9dbb55f868e463bab6095815b68a4631.jpeg

This Aquatop brand offers blue and red points, and gives a much cleaner appearance:

505B136A-9425-416B-89ED-B1D16C4888C3.jpeg.8b3749c5930b932b4e0cf29c89a36194.jpeg

We shall see how the plants do. The Killis look nice. Here’s a short video under new light:

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 2/5/2022 at 7:07 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I think a lot of the aquarium lights are really for the keepers.  They are excellent at making the tanks look good to us.  But, the plants probably don't care as much as we want to believe.  🤭

I agree, I have plants growing like crazy under a shop light in my guppy grow out, but with the price of aquarium specific lights so low I’m thinking about switching. 
This one’s only $18

1DD63732-8ACA-4A4E-A323-F4FEC6FCCAB3.png

• Like 3