Emerald Killifish Journal

Fish Folk

So I just got a trio of Fundulopanchax gardneri today. Was curious what temps you like to keep yours at. Of course the Google general knowledge says 65-75. I like to hear it first hand. Would like to get a little breeding action out of them one day soon once I get them conditioned well 

IMG_20231206_140215974.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 6:39 PM, TeeJay said:

So I just got a trio of Fundulopanchax gardneri today. Was curious what temps you like to keep yours at. Of course the Google general knowledge says 65-75. I like to hear it first hand. Would like to get a little breeding action out of them one day soon once I get them conditioned well 

IMG_20231206_140215974.jpg

Great fish! They're pretty tough fish. 70-F is fine. Maybe 74-F for spawning. Do you have mops made? They will spawn in yarn mops. I think LR Bretz had a video on making them . . . let me check for it . . . here you go:

On 12/6/2023 at 9:48 PM, Fish Folk said:

Great fish! They're pretty tough fish. 70-F is fine. Maybe 74-F for spawning. Do you have mops made? They will spawn in yarn mops. I think LR Bretz had a video on making them . . . let me check for it . . . here you go:

Right now I have the tank set to 73 degrees. Yes I will be getting a mop from a fellow fish club friend at our meeting on Friday. I figured if I do get good spawning I can remove the eggs and put them into a ziss breeder box in my 20 long tank since it has more room for it. That way it does not take up a big piece of real estate in there 10 gallon home. The same fish club friend keeps there fish room at about 76 degrees tank water that is and she said she gets fairly good spawns. Always like to compare from different folks. 

• Like 1