Gravel Color - dry vs. wet

CalmedByFish

Getting my tank set up at the new place, I'm finally ready to add substrate. Although I like the look of tan sand, I can't stand the feeling of sand. Gives me the heebie-jeebies. So I'm thinking of gravel labeled as "2-4 mm."

What I can't figure out is color. My old blue gravel looked darker when wet. Since I'm aiming for tan/beige, should I choose a color that looks tan/beige in its advertisement, or a color that looks a bit paler?

I have found it depends on the gavel. I’ve had some that just become more vibrant and brighten up when wet and some that became deeper toned. The tan gravel I use has multiple shades of tan that became much richer toned wet that I loved. Awhile ago I had a tan that was much more uniform color. It got much brighter but I did not care for that much brightness because it always drew my vision to it more than I enjoyed. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2021 at 4:18 AM, Scapexghost said:

My experience is that things look darker when wet but not when submerged.

Interesting. I wonder if the tank's light brightens it back up.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:03 AM, Atitagain said:

Not sure if you would be interested because it has different stones than tan and not sure how much you need. I got this from a big box hardware store Home D. 50 pounds for about $570A35728-982F-4AE4-939B-DA583106C62B.jpeg.7abac5573fbbc1ddc1b0f1d09e408102.jpeg

I love it holds plants really good and cheap

Considering that what I've been looking at is $15 for 10 pounds, I will at least look at this $5 for 50 pounds idea. That's an astounding price difference!

On 11/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Interesting. I wonder if the tank's light brightens it back up.

Considering that what I've been looking at is $15 for 10 pounds, I will at least look at this $5 for 50 pounds idea. That's an astounding price difference!

It’s a pea gravel found in the garden center outside 

• Thanks 1

When shopping for stones or gravel I always suggest that you take a bottle of water with you.  As the others have mentioned, they will look darken when the dust is washed off, and may brighten depending on your lighting.  My slightly tan pea gravel looks white in the tank.  Different stores source gravel from different places, so shop around.  There is almost always spillage from a torn bag for the water test.  Buy the broken bags.  Most of the big box stores will give you a healthy discount if you take the damaged bags off their hands.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 10:31 AM, laritheloud said:

@GameCzar I'm loving the Pisces aquarium gravel! I have silver pearl in one tank and I'm putting Midnight Pearl in my 20 long. Pretty, easy to clean, small grain and smooth. I also appreciate the wet/dry photos.

I'm pretty sure Midnight Pearl is what we have, and its really nice!  

• Love 1

On 11/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, CalmedByFish said:

@GameCzar and @laritheloud Yesterday, I ordered a single bag of Pisces 2-4 mm gravel to make sure I like the color before buying the rest of the amount I need. I didn't see any pics of it wet though, and looked on several sites. 

Ohhh what color? The older Amazon listings have the wet/dry pics, the newer ones (under the label Aqua Naturals) do not.

• Like 1

Based on @GameCzar's image, I went to Amazon to see if there was a picture, only to find a note that the gravel sample I bought was by the front door. Woohoo! I rinsed a bit, and walked around holding it by my plants (still in their travel totes). I can't say I love it, but I do like it, and I won't hesitate to buy more and use it as the substrate. 

It's Pisces' (Aqua Natural's?) "Gold Pearl." 

• Like 1