Minanoras adventures in fishkeeping

Minanora

On 11/23/2022 at 1:56 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I know you avoid my snail eggs journal because… snails? Well, now it’s the “snails & inverts” journal.

Nah, I don't avoid anything I just can't find the stuff I keep missing out on!

It's all good. I swear I've had snails before!

Hopefully the shrimp do well for you. I've never kept any "fancy" shrimp just amanos and ghost shrimp. Ghost shrimp were for the puffers and they didn't even last that long. Amanos though.... Man. What fun they are.

Very tempted to get more shrimp for the pandas.

On 11/22/2022 at 9:59 AM, Guppysnail said:

@Torrey told me theirs was at 50 when they got back from traveling and had increased in population. 

Totally believe it. Shrimp just love really oxygenated water.

On 11/23/2022 at 4:21 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Nah, I don't avoid anything I just can't find the stuff I keep missing out on!

It's all good. I swear I've had snails before!

Hopefully the shrimp do well for you. I've never kept any "fancy" shrimp just amanos and ghost shrimp. Ghost shrimp were for the puffers and they didn't even last that long. Amanos though.... Man. What fun they are.

Very tempted to get more shrimp for the pandas.

Totally believe it. Shrimp just love really oxygenated water.

Well, if you ever want orange or, eventually, yellow neocaridina shrimp you know who to ask. 😁

As for air... My shrimp sanctuary has been running without its sponge filter for the last 8 weeks. 🫣 My air pump died for that tank and I've been procrastinating replacing it. It's on a USB air pump and I've been having those die like clockwork but I don't have enough 120 outlets to use a normal pump at that location (yeah I know, I need to order a bigger power strip). It's still got the little internal filter but it's completely submerged. I've kept these orange shrimp in every condition you can imagine. Even tossed them into straight R.O. water and they bred. Had them breeding in water with 100+ nitrates, even with 80% water changes they were fine. I've put these guys through the ringer and they continue to make more. I've even washed many in a strainer with strait tap water now. I'm telling you these are the most hardy shrimp you've ever seen. 😂

My experiments sound cruel, but it's all for the greater good of my colony. I wanted make sure these guys were solid for any hobbiest that receives them. They thrive from a pH of 6.1 all the way to 8.2. at 6.1 they do need mineral supplements like g.g. mineral junkie or lots of kale and leafy brassicas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My new shrimp came in. I'm less than impressed.... No extra shrimp, five dead... One is way blue, another is a little blue.... I'm going to give them time to color up but, man, not anything like my last experience, which was from another vendor. I am underwhelmed for spending the money I did on these guys. Plants came in nice though.

20221123_173024.jpg.504a09eb52c74ca9c97cebc7bcbce4e5.jpg20221123_173016.jpg.3d933ea8cadb45e23270e5aee93579ba.jpg

• Sad 1

I have the spouses blessing to spend another $100+ on shrimp from my preferred vendor. Which I will be doing. Now.... I need to decide, dump these in the 75 or into the plaza.... And let them live with the, new, new, shrimp. 🤔 I want good genetics but I need shrimp in the Plaza.... Someone toss a coin for me? To my Witcher?

I seriously cringe at spending the buku bucks on these guys, but they are so cute. 🥹 I love shrimp!!! 💛🧡

On 11/23/2022 at 7:29 PM, Minanora said:

I have the spouses blessing to spend another $100+ on shrimp from my preferred vendor. Which I will be doing. Now.... I need to decide, dump these in the 75 or into the plaza.... And let them live with the, new, new, shrimp. 🤔 I want good genetics but I need shrimp in the Plaza.... Someone toss a coin for me? To my Witcher?

I seriously cringe at spending the buku bucks on these guys, but they are so cute. 🥹 I love shrimp!!! 💛🧡

Have you seen saluwesi species? I probably butchered the spelling, but I think they work in your water.  (runs to go double check)

Congrats though. Best of luck on the next purchase. I appreciate the witcher reference 😂

• Like 1

Ah, planted more plants as well.

20221123_203209.jpg.921d2876b4a69d8acb5a5d127be18429.jpg

On 11/23/2022 at 7:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Have you seen saluwesi species? I probably butchered the spelling, but I think they work in your water.  (runs to go double check)

Congrats though. Best of luck on the next purchase. I appreciate the witcher reference 😂

ORD. Ty friend. I'm all for another species.... Just not yet. Not yet! Soon! Soon!!!!

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2022 at 4:47 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Sulawesi shrimp are really cool!! I’ve seen vids and whenever they eat it looks like they’re dancing!!😁

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 9:05 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Sulawesi shrimp are really cool!! I’ve seen vids and whenever they eat it looks like they’re dancing!!😁

I don't even know where you can get them in the US.  They are barely getting into germany I think.

Very cool.  Is that DHG I spy @Minanora?  Let me know how it goes for you.  I have never had success with it.

well.... ever since I disassembled the 75G

We should definitely not go down this rabbit hole, but yeah... they should do fine in your water 🙂
https://aquadiction.world/species-spotlight/tigris-sulawesi-shrimp/

This is the Red Orchid Version:
Sulawesi shrimp - red orchid - caridina glaubrechti - YouTube

Edited by nabokovfan87

I have DHG in my 75 and the Sanctuary. It does well for me.

The stuff in the sanctuary is the "mini" variety. I have both types in the Plaza now.

The left and right corners of the 75 are hair grass and dwarf sag.

20221123_192535.jpg.82e7f92cab24d7388f7cf9bb2ccb97ee.jpg

I say dwarf... Look at those long shoots on the right. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

We are out camping on BLM land this weekend. Had to bring our dogs because they ate chocolate.... So I've spent all night dealing with incontinent dogs peeing out of control, peed in the truck, in their bed, in their crate... Poor kids. We made them puke as soon as we could but it's still bad. Of course the smallest dachshund ate the most... Hopefully they continue to recover.

Then I was driving a RZR and um hit a tree and there was a rock in the frame between the bumper and radiator... The rock punctured the radiator and yeah, a 3 hour ride turned into 7 hours 😂.

I just want to go home, shower and watch my fish. But it's been a fun time so far. I ordered my new, new, shrimp !

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I am so happy to be home. I changed water on the plaza. The driftwood decided to finish being gross while I was gone. It's beautiful now! Mind you that while I was gone the intake filter got completely clogged with the slime, so it was just resting alllllll over the bottom of the tank and in all of the plants. So I got out the python and cleaned everything up. I also cleaned out the intake sponge. Things are running well. I saw ONE goldenback shrimp. One..... Hopefully there are more hiding. Regardless I changed water anyway. I just need everything to keep moving. Even if it kills a few shrimp.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/28/2022 at 2:26 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Your camping trip sounds not so fun. How are your dogs doing?

The trip was amazing. When you do things like riding dirt bikes or OHV riding.... you're likely going to break something. Hahaha. Worth every minute. It was a fantastic ride. Sometimes when you're 4x4 crawling, you swear you're going to tip over. Well that's how I hit the tree. I was coming out of a rut, hit the gas and the front caught as the back slid and pulled me into the tree. The thing that matters is that nobody was hurt. Radiators are cheap. Memories are priceless. Coming off of the trail and seeing my dirt-stash and matching dirt-beard was priceless. Helmet hair, goggle tan line, dirt in my teeth. Awesomely funny. My husband thought it was pretty funny as well.

The dogs are recovered. Woke up this morning to find that one of them threw up a BUNCH of candy wrappers. -_- Dang dogs. They're eating again, aren't peeing everywhere, and are playing again.

I saw a shrimp in the plaza this morning. 😄 Hooray! Photos incoming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 9:16 PM, Minanora said:

A cold dog, trying to get his tiny legs warm. Asking for a blanket

I think I have the only dachshund that doesn’t like to be covered up.  He acts insulted if I try to cover him.  Every dachshund patient I’ve ever had wants to burrow under a blanket if they’re well enough.  We always give them blankets unless they have a fever and need their temp down.  If they’re too sick to burrow, we make sure we cover them up to their chins.

• Love 1

On 11/28/2022 at 8:10 PM, Odd Duck said:

I think I have the only dachshund that doesn’t like to be covered up.  He acts insulted if I try to cover him.  Every dachshund patient I’ve ever had wants to burrow under a blanket if they’re well enough.  We always give them blankets unless they have a fever and need their temp down.  If they’re too sick to burrow, we make sure we cover them up to their chins.

I've never seen a short hair that doesn't want to be covered. Rainy, our long haired doxie, she doesn't cover herself or ask to be covered. Reno at least covers himself. My husbands prior dachshund was a little man brat. He would make a noise, not a whine, not a cry, almost like a "Hmpfh" and just wait to be covered up. If he got uncovered at night he'd wake you up to get covered back up. It was easier to just sleep with him in the bed. He was daddies baby. Axel Foley was a great dog. I never liked small dogs until I met Axel. Now I have a thing for the dachshunds. They are awesome dogs. Too smart for their own good though.

Maybe that’s the difference.  Maybe the long hair kind of drags against the covers?  Mine is a rather poorly bred long hair (rescue).  His hair isn’t exactly long, flowy, and shiny despite getting food that’s chock full of omega 3 fatty acids.  🙄  He’s the second long haired dachshund my neighbors had and I could tell from the beginning he wasn’t nearly the breeding compared to their first one.  He was a Craig’s List special.  Their first one was a gorgeous sable boy, very well built.  This guy is built OK, but he’ll never have the coat the other boy had.  This one’s a red merle and his coat just doesn’t have the quality of their first kiddo.  His hair has a rather cottony feel instead of the satiny coat their sable had.

He’s sweet as can be, though, if not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  Such a happy little guy, you can’t help but laugh at him until he drops a nugget on the floor.  😡  He was never properly potty trained during his first 3 years of life, so it’s been a challenge.  He mostly does OK unless it’s raining out.  🤦🏻‍♀️  

At least my fish don’t leave poop on the rug unless I accidentally splash it there.  😆 

• Love 1