Minanoras adventures in fishkeeping

Minanora

On 11/11/2022 at 10:05 PM, Minanora said:

Dude, I get it. 😂 My tap water can come from three different wells that go to our areas holding tank, then we can also get water subsidized from the lake. I get a lot of different parameters, but the lowest hardness is 280 in the early spring. At the driest we are at 400+ hardness

I miss it when the water was more constant!  I can adapt to whatever need be, but I hate it when I go.... "something is wrong" and then come to find out.... my GH, KH, all crashed for the fun of it and now I'm spiking some random value of nitrite and ammonia (chloramines).

My shrimp are fed up with it. 😞

• Like 1

I moved the pandas into the 40B today!!!! I realized I was treating two tanks for the same thing.... So why not just move them? Especially since everyone is recovered.

Ummm, there's also some new friends in the 40B..... My son went with me to the LFS since I work from home on Thursdays. He wanted otos and lemon tetras. So we have 8 lemon tetras and 4 new otos. I added alllllll of the mulm and the sponge filter from the quarantine. So the tank is kinda gross but eh, it's no big deal. I also had a handful of plants come in from the co-op. A few are badly melted out of the bag. But I'm going to give it some time, it got a lot colder than forecasted. A lot. @Candi works too hard, so I'm going to give them time. I'm going to start moving plants from the 20H tomorrow. It'll go fast!  I'm super excited to give the crypts and the sword more room.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:18 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I miss it when the water was more constant!  I can adapt to whatever need be, but I hate it when I go.... "something is wrong" and then come to find out.... my GH, KH, all crashed for the fun of it and now I'm spiking some random value of nitrite and ammonia (chloramines).

My shrimp are fed up with it. 😞

I feel you. My shrimp Sanctuary and the chili ruins are r.o. tanks. The rest are tap.

However my shrimp are indestructible. 😂

• Haha 1

I wound up doing none of that today.... We took our boat to my sister's to winter it in their shop. While there my sister was trimming her way over grown oleanders with lopping shears... I had my pole saw in the back of the truck so I offered to help. Wound up trimming trees and shrubs all day. Filled the equivalent of two 8' truck beds. Didn't eat all day so when we were finished all I wanted to do was eat and relax. I caught two gophers and planted more lettuce, carrots, bok choy and dill this morning at least.

The panda cories are spawning... I didn't expect that! I'm impressed and excited. 😊 Saw that all four of the new otos are making poos on the regular so they should all make it! Very exciting. Tested the water in the 40, all good, added the last dose of meds. I'll change the water on Tuesday and give the filter it's first cleaning.

• Love 1

@nabokovfan87, they were exhibiting breeding behavior last night. I turned the light on this morning and saw at least 5 eggs. I was able to get photos of three. Two in this grass, one on the underside of the left bottom crypt leaf. 😁😍🎉

20221114_081806.jpg.e53d0644238749dd2df52f1eb0f54f1f.jpg20221114_081817.jpg.c97995a7236a2452406f49a0c14b7348.jpg

So, not a huge spawn but I'm going to be making major improvements to their home over the next few weeks. Same with the 75.

• Love 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:58 AM, Minanora said:

Two in this grass, one on the underside of the left bottom crypt leaf.

That's awesome!  They usually are good with eggs, they love anubias, big flat leaves, but they have adapted to hide eggs. So.... when panda horde is in full force you'll be doing a WC or something and then see little tiny fry zooming around. 

I'm excited they are being so good for you and the family.  I really enjoy seeing and hearing that their behavior hasn't changed through everything. Makes it totally worth it to share the fun and gives me a bit of encouragement when I talk about their behavior to try to help out others.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Love 1

On 11/14/2022 at 6:58 PM, Minanora said:

@nabokovfan87, they were exhibiting breeding behavior last night. I turned the light on this morning and saw at least 5 eggs. I was able to get photos of three. Two in this grass, one on the underside of the left bottom crypt leaf. 😁😍🎉

20221114_081806.jpg.e53d0644238749dd2df52f1eb0f54f1f.jpg20221114_081817.jpg.c97995a7236a2452406f49a0c14b7348.jpg

So, not a huge spawn but I'm going to be making major improvements to their home over the next few weeks. Same with the 75.

Hooray! I’m thinking about maximizing my Palaeatus Cory yield by adding a couple of sinking spawning mops…I’ll try and make them hair grass-like!

• Like 1

I've been sick so my tanks are getting more viewing time.

I started the RR on all of the crypts that were in my son's 20. We'll see how they come out on the other side. It's weird to see the tank without the jungle of crypts... It's starting to feel like a reality that it's going to go away soon.

Pandas are spawning again since I changed water yesterday. I finally planted a few of the plants. I'll be happy to put in the mature crypts from the 20 tomorrow. I also added peat moss pellets to the canister. Going to see if I can make everyone happier with a lower pH.

Here's the 40 this morning.

20221116_085815.jpg.8345fd14ed14c5be638b31064bdbc0e1.jpg

I'll commit to homes for the potted plants once the crypts are in place. One is huge and had 4 baby plants coming off of it. Crypt tropica. The wendetii green, lucens and parva are looking amazing as well. Placing them all will be fun!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 11/17/2022 at 6:32 AM, Minanora said:

I've been sick so my tanks are getting more viewing time.

I started the RR on all of the crypts that were in my son's 20. We'll see how they come out on the other side. It's weird to see the tank without the jungle of crypts... It's starting to feel like a reality that it's going to go away soon.

Pandas are spawning again since I changed water yesterday. I finally planted a few of the plants. I'll be happy to put in the mature crypts from the 20 tomorrow. I also added peat moss pellets to the canister. Going to see if I can make everyone happier with a lower pH.

Here's the 40 this morning.

20221116_085815.jpg.8345fd14ed14c5be638b31064bdbc0e1.jpg

I'll commit to homes for the potted plants once the crypts are in place. One is huge and had 4 baby plants coming off of it. Crypt tropica. The wendetii green, lucens and parva are looking amazing as well. Placing them all will be fun!

I love the way how you’ve made the 40 gal look so wide & big!

On 11/16/2022 at 9:32 PM, Minanora said:

Pandas are spawning again since I changed water yesterday.

Sounds about right. 😂

Tank looks great. I'm excited to see how you fill it out!

On 11/16/2022 at 9:32 PM, Minanora said:

I also added peat moss pellets to the canister. Going to see if I can make everyone happier with a lower pH.

It'll be interesting to hear how things change, how quickly I mean.  I've never known anyone personally who used those, but know they are used a lot for shrimp and stuff.

Feel better.

On 11/16/2022 at 10:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Sounds about right. 😂

Tank looks great. I'm excited to see how you fill it out!

It'll be interesting to hear how things change, how quickly I mean.  I've never known anyone personally who used those, but know they are used a lot for shrimp and stuff.

Feel better.

Supposedly I'll see the full effect over 4 days. I tested water yesterday and didn't notice anything other than more tannins, but I put in an almond leaf after the water change as well. Of course my KH is very high so it's hard to move the pH without removing KH first. I doubt I'll see dramatic, magical, results with peat alone. One thing at a time though. I'll see how things look through the next water change. I cleaned the canister so I'm more focused on ammonia and nitrite right now.

Today I feel much better! Night and day difference. Hopefully I can stay fever free through the day. I want to go places tomorrow.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2022 at 7:13 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

LFS ?😁

Nah, they get their freshwater shipments in today, so if I'm buying fish it'll be next week at the earliest. I may call and see what came in though, and prebuy a few chili rasboras to fill out my group. I always wait at least a week to make sure everything is healthy and hardy before I buy from the shop. Unless it's something I just absolutely need to have.

I was thinking more about going to dinner with friends, and our local hardware shop 😂

• Like 1

I planted the crypts and dwarf sag in my son's 40 this morning. I'll let them liven up from being smooshed in their RR bath. 😂

Here's the photo of them freshly planted. 

20221117_101452.jpg.ef0d5779b9c537bd56b64748548965aa.jpg

My son's 20 looking sad. The mother sword will go on the right side of my son's 40, kind of where the star grass is, behind the rock a bit more to the rear right.

20221117_101520.jpg.c1b48fa993ea02ab5e3c903ddfd7ee3d.jpg

Just the sheer number of shrimp hiding in the 20 is impressive.

20221117_101544.jpg.98b3773b0f70cc349df63e497cd88ee1.jpg

I finally trimmed the plants in the shrimp sanctuary yesterday. It's starting to look good again. 😂

20221117_120544.jpg.90c4394a7ca22478fb32c3887c9a0618.jpg

Today the 75 gets a trim.

20221117_120552.jpg.07d5a8fda54ce833b99e84ab6c19eff1.jpg

I need to scoop duckweed out if the chili ruins, too.

20221117_121303.jpg.843d0623bfcc3a229234e082bff06c6f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The mother sword is undergoing RR right now. Not an easy task. That thing is over 16" tall, I had to bend it and it was nerve-wracking, all the leaves are likely damaged, but that's okay.

It's crazy to see the 20 with so few plants. There's soooooo many shrimp in there.

I'm excited to place the mother sword, it'll look so good! 😁

• Like 2