Minanoras adventures in fishkeeping

Minanora

On 8/2/2022 at 11:51 PM, Minanora said:

That one has a finnex planted+ 24/7 CRV. It's sitting directly on the glass of the hood. It's a great light honestly. I got it "open box return" from Amazon warehouse.

I have the same and the got it the same way. I love it.

• Love 1

So two days ago we fed the cories in the 75 some of the bottom feeder hikari small wafers. The funniest thing happened. An Amano shrimp came to eat on one and decided he liked it so much that he picked it up and took off with it! He carried it all over the tank to keep it away from other fish and shrimp. I was only able to get one photo and it's poor, but you can kinda see his bounty. 🤣

20220802_200531.jpg.984b2a5ccffee3eb084969ece36a4a38.jpg

I upped the light peak values by 5% on Monday. I am hoping it makes the lilies and star grass happy. I'd like them to stay a bit more compact.

Edited by Minanora
Autocorrect...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Micro update: I hurt my hip so I'm really behind on everything. I can finally sleep through most the night again. Today is water change bonanza. I haven't done anything besides feed and fertilize since July so every tank needs work. I'm surprised at how well all the fish are doing and my plants are happy, although overgrown. I'll take photos today. I still need to take it easy with my hip. Luckily standing is the least painful so I should be able to trim plants.

My husband saw two of the Amano shrimp steal wafers this morning and he was able to get a picture! IMG_20220825_065032.jpg.cbe64c09a34c1bc921e2eb4011628e6d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 8/25/2022 at 7:15 AM, Minanora said:

Micro update: I hurt my hip so I'm really behind on everything. I can finally sleep through most the night again. Today is water change bonanza. I haven't done anything besides feed and fertilize since July so every tank needs work. I'm surprised at how well all the fish are doing and my plants are happy, although overgrown. I'll take photos today. I still need to take it easy with my hip. Luckily standing is the least painful so I should be able to trim plants.

My husband saw two of the Amano shrimp steal wafers this morning and he was able to get a picture! IMG_20220825_065032.jpg.cbe64c09a34c1bc921e2eb4011628e6d.jpg

Amanos are the consummate thieves! Always fun to watch them wrestle other critters for food. I once had a wafer in my tweezers and this Amano shrimp was intent on taking it from me!

I hope you are feeling better!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I changed water in the 75 on Sunday and trimmed plants and planted some stuff.

Before:

20220828_155458.jpg.1e49b25c37fae5360e050c1324c51905.jpg

After:

20220828_201828.jpg.ac7d8b1014ce596427a82a77ba15b090.jpg

It's supposed to be 106-111°F from Thursday until Wednesday. Heaters are getting turned off, air is getting cranked up, auto feeders refilled. We're going to be gone for over 30 hours during this. Of course we're going to the high desert...  *Shrug*

20220828_202104.jpg.3b770f739d98a22530bb5e9573511754.jpg

Happy shrimp!

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 8:21 AM, eatyourpeas said:

Amanos are the consummate thieves! Always fun to watch them wrestle other critters for food. I once had a wafer in my tweezers and this Amano shrimp was intent on taking it from me!

I hope you are feeling better!

I literally feed the amanos, then feed everything else. That's just how they are.  "MINE!" *run scared into a bush and eat it*

They are brave for 5 seconds and then they are little chickens. 😂

That Amano loves the anubias, it's looking really good! 

Please feel better, I'm sorry about the injury and pain you're going through. 

On 8/30/2022 at 9:08 PM, Minanora said:

It's supposed to be 106-111°F from Thursday until Wednesday. Heaters are getting turned off, air is getting cranked up, auto feeders refilled. We're going to be gone for over 30 hours during this. Of course we're going to the high desert...  *Shrug*

Interesting! (I'll send a DM)

I just got some water bottles to try to deal with the heat. Drop those into the tank and hopefully those help out.  I totally can relate, wishing for the best for you!

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 11:12 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I literally feed the amanos, then feed everything else. That's just how they are.  "MINE!" *run scared into a bush and eat it*

They are brave for 5 seconds and then they are little chickens. 😂

That Amano loves the anubias, it's looking really good! 

Please feel better, I'm sorry about the injury and pain you're going through. 

Interesting! (I'll send a DM)

I just got some water bottles to try to deal with the heat. Drop those into the tank and hopefully those help out.  I totally can relate, wishing for the best for you!

Seriously the Amano are totally like that! 🤣

We are going to Kernville. Staying in Kernville Friday and Saturday night. Probably the most north I'd consider "high desert". We're detouring to Ridgecrest on the way as well.

The heat wave coming up sucks. We don't have central air. Expensive upgrade... New ducting, another electrical circuit (this fall I'll replace the sub panel and add the circuits for all our projects), plus hardware costs. Tempted to put in two mini splits, they're quiet and I can zone easier and not have to pay someone to reduct my house.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 6:21 AM, Minanora said:

We are going to Kernville. Staying in Kernville Friday and Saturday night. Probably the most north I'd consider "high desert". We're detouring to Ridgecrest on the way as well.

Ah.... ridgecrest is a nice road to drive!

On 8/31/2022 at 6:21 AM, Minanora said:

Tempted to put in two mini splits, they're quiet and I can zone easier and not have to pay someone to reduct my house.

They work really well depending on room size.

• Like 1

Micro rant: The heat wave we're having in our area is on day 6. My living room was 91° this evening after work and was still 90 when we went to get ready for bed. Tanks all creeping into the mid 80s now. Even our cold water comes out at 82-83 in the early-mid morning. The ac at my office can't keep up, by 4:30 it's 83 in the coolest room. Even if we set the thermostat to 68 in the morning. The ac never turns off and we even had an additional return air put in.

I'm worried that it's the new normal. 

It's hot.... I don't like it.

Good news is that all the fish are alive. I'm behind on maintaining everything but it's just too hot.

• Sad 2

On 9/8/2022 at 10:21 PM, Minanora said:

5 hour power outage. Co-op battery air pump on one tank, battery banks with nano pumps on everything else.

Kept my 407 running with this baddie. No bacteria die-off for me!

It was 104 today during the outage. I'm ready for the heat to be over.

Lucky I haven't had to deal with power outages.

Water changes today. Caught more of the swordtails out of the 75, put a bunch of snails info the compost, fed the plants.

20220911_174952.jpg.c66ad7229388a9c3859e269e29b83855.jpg

Saw some really neat shrimp in my son's 30g. I never culled that group of Shrimp. I just put random babies in. There are some green shrimp and white and orange shrimp. It's very interesting. Tried to get photos.

20220911_211618.jpg.68045c4495bd8ae7b220ab7ea287b87b.jpg20220911_211640.jpg.3b15f67ad386bd7dd324151898550f65.jpg20220911_211845.jpg.981bcf33388f37ad7e0ec8c5eba160fd.jpg

20220911_211718.jpg

• Love 3

• 2 weeks later...

So, I changed my heating schedule on the 75G and my Sons tank. The heaters only run from sunrise to sunset. The cories have been laying eggs like crazy! Ladies are alllllll over the place looking to lay eggs. Most of the eggs I've seen disappear after a few hours, but I'm hoping that some get passed over and hatch. I'm not pulling eggs, want to see what nature does for now. Photos of said eggs soon. My phone hasn't sync'd photos to my cloud yet and my phone is.... somewhere... It's in the house. Somewhere. *shrug*

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Spent some time watching the chili ruins on Monday. My PatientSpouse has taken over my desk with camera stuff for the time being. So I haven't been working at my desk. I did a water change for the first time ever on it. Cleaned out most of the duckweed. Scraped some of the hard water off. Unclogged the pump. I still need to clean the glass. Removed all of my water lettuce for the time being so I could see the fish. Turns out that over the year I've lost two chili's. So now there's 5. I'm debating on getting three more, leaving them as is or breaking down the whole tank and putting them in the shrimp sanctuary. I will think on this for a long while. I want to break down the fry grow out first. All of the guppy babies are leaving tomorrow. The swordtails are close behind. Finally. No. more. babies. I love breeding but I wanted a break during the summer... Didn't get it, and the spouse is requesting that I take a break until I build the Fish-she shed. So it looks like I'm going to be waiting at least another 8 months. I may convert part of our lean-to shed if I really get antsy.

20221004_205855.jpg.df7ce3b0e4a916dfe8626578d7c0ed5f.jpg

20221004_205903.jpg.d724b88e20279177b0706929dbf0ac71.jpg

20221004_205850.jpg.7320329e9a239134cd64f51691df1f9d.jpg

Chili ruins personal shrimp population. Doing very well.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

@Guppysnail, @xXInkedPhoenixX, solid points. I may go that route but with the fry grow out going away it'll free up an entire desk in the office, and make it so I can move my husband's.... Hobbies (it's not crap, but I am mad and want to call it crap).... Off of my desk. Going to leave that box packed up and add some tape so I don't go on a rant. 🤣 I dedicated 1/3 of my desk to his camera lens humidity controlled cabinet... Yet there's camera bodies, batteries and lenses on my desk.... By a fish tank.... In front of my work computer monitor. Cranky. Very, cranky.

I need my own house sometimes. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have always thought the idea of joined dual master suites was a good idea and would save a lot of marriages (husb/wife gets their own bedroom, bathroom, closets so they can do what they want with them nobody can complain about socks on the floor, cosmetics on counters, decoration disagreements or too many pillows but can still visit each other of course)- but I dunno @Minanora separate houses is taking it kinda far! 😄

• Haha 2

On 10/6/2022 at 6:03 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I have always thought the idea of joined dual master suites was a good idea and would save a lot of marriages (husb/wife gets their own bedroom, bathroom, closets so they can do what they want with them nobody can complain about socks on the floor, cosmetics on counters, decoration disagreements or too many pillows but can still visit each other of course)- but I dunno @Minanora separate houses is taking it kinda far! 😄

Maybe, but to the point you made with socks on the floor... His are all over the house, same with his work shirts, shoes (which are size 14 tripping hazards)... 😂

But I could settle with my own master suite just for being in control of the temperature of the room, and no snoring aside from my own. 😅

I try to keep a tidy home where it counts but my husband is a mess master and lazy to boot. Most loving human on the planet, and pretty darn smart, but dang, he's really lazy. He's getting better about being lazy but he's resistant to change. But we all are in one area or another.

@Guppysnailthis is why I need my shed. We have a smallish home with a smaller master bedroom 12x12, my son's room 12x12, the office 10x12. Our 24x26 detached garage homes the laundry machines, my husband's and mine tools, our brewing equipment and fridges and freezers. I don't even have a ton of seasonal decorating stuff. Two totes. One with indoor Christmas tree stuff and the other has outdoor Christmas and Halloween all in one. My 14x12 shed will be my hobby studio. My fish, my sewing, my son and i's crafts and art stuff. And, likely my office.

Today is fish catching day! Goodbye to the guppies in the grow out. 💚

• Like 3

All of the guppie babies are gone! I am playing roulette and kept two females that I couldn't part with. I'm pretty sure they aren't pregnant.... Hopefully. Two is manageable. Breeder boxes and my 10g quarantine will work fine for fry rearing small broods.

Took me several hours to catch and sort them all. It's a great feeling though!

• Like 2