Minanoras adventures in fishkeeping

Minanora

On 11/18/2022 at 2:40 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Guesstimation??

You must be using root tabs on that 😁!

Maybe 300 shrimp.

Yeah, I was feeding that tank with the Sera root tabs. I'm a huge fan of them. I hadn't fed the tank in at least two months. That tank had basic aquarium gravel capped with flourite black sand. The swords root ball is the size of my palm. I'll get a photo up when I remove it from it's bath.

On 11/18/2022 at 4:11 PM, Minanora said:

Maybe 300 shrimp.

Wow! 😲

On 11/18/2022 at 4:11 PM, Minanora said:

The swords root ball is the size of my palm

I once had an Amazon Sword which would send roots above the substrate if I put an Easy Root Tab nearby! 

Got the root tabs from my Godmother who’s trying to figure out how to ship killifish eggs and a special type of Tiger Lotus 😁

• Like 1

The peat pellets are adjusting the pH as designed. I need to do a master test kit check on the GH and KH but the pH is down to 7.4, and that's with a 50% water change on day 3 of using the pellets. The tank is still stabilizing and the driftwood is making a mess so I have to change water frequently in the Plaza.

I'm about to have a shrimplett explosion in the chili ruins, 5 of the females are about to have their eggs hatch out. This little tank is a lot of fun to watch while I work at the computer. Hard to believe it's been set up for a year. Hasn't had livestock that long but it's had plants that long. That Anubias I stuck in the ruins has tripled in size and the roots are totally attached to the structure.

20221118_144249.jpg.8403cbb9c236bc396c113e3df05175ee.jpg

• Love 2

I'm digging the panda plaza. This has been a great project for me. Every time I go in my son's room I'm more thankful that he wanted the 40 over the 29.

20221119_170551.jpg.541ee6e5d929723b3065e32f490b22e7.jpg

Here's the 75 today. I gave it a pruning on Thursday night.

20221119_170945.jpg.b3fce75ba32b343d6ad61828d121e98d.jpg

And, yeah my photos are not centered. 😂 And yes, there's a bit of nitrite in the Plaza today. I cleaned the filter media on Tuesday. I've been watching it like a hawk. Never over .25 thankfully.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:49 AM, Minanora said:

Crypts are starting to recover from being smooshed. Pandas eagerly waiting for breakfast this morning.

20221118_082724.jpg.c8d9065b7c5be50fd695bc9c2ca66b3d.jpg

Going to put in the mother sword today and plant some of the hair grass. Waiting on the pearl weed until the crypts are totally unsmooshed. I don't want to take away from their drama and form.

That is some awesome wood there in the left!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 6:52 PM, Schuyler said:

That is some awesome wood there in the left!

On the left there's two pieces nested together. I love them both. They were supposed to go in my son's 20, but it was too dense. So I couldn't get them in the way I wanted at the time. This is where they belong. 😊😍 All on store credit baby! 💚🎉

Technically all the wood was bought on store credit. 😁

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 10:59 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Shrimp 🦐 do have their uses then 😉

Mostly guppies actually. I usually sell my shrimp directly to hobbiests. I did take shrimp to my local pet store, but I gave those to him for free. My local fish store, I've sold them some shrimp but guppies are the big one. 🤣 They are good at making babies.

• Like 2

My sons old 20G is almost all finished. I got it out of my sons room today. All of his fish are in the plaza now! Woo! I moved the old tank into the office for the time being. so I can deal with the shrimp.... I scooped out most of the substrate so that will make it easier to catch them. Some will go back into the sanctuary, some to the 75, then the rest I'm taking to the shop.

I ordered the yellow shrimp for the plaza today! 😄 I look forward to them arriving.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/20/2022 at 7:42 AM, Minanora said:

Mostly guppies actually. I usually sell my shrimp directly to hobbiests. I did take shrimp to my local pet store, but I gave those to him for free. My local fish store, I've sold them some shrimp but guppies are the big one. 🤣 They are good at making babies.

Are they a fancy strain or just common mixed guppies?

It it almost feels like I should be paying them to take guppies out of my tank.

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2022 at 7:42 AM, Schuyler said:

Are they a fancy strain or just common mixed guppies?

It it almost feels like I should be paying them to take guppies out of my tank.

Both. Yellow tiger king Cobra, hb red rose, yellow Galaxy mosaic, then the mutts.

I'm only breeding mutts right now. And that's not on purpose. I just have two females that are rich with previous wares. Hopefully they don't drop a lot more. I have work to do before I'm in a position to breed again. Time is flying by.

The shrimp arrive today! I'm a bit nervous because of how cold it got last night, but the shrimp are coming from so-cal, so, assuming they packed them with heat packs, it should be okay. I bought 20 to give the colony a boost since I'm not keeping them in a shrimp only tank and the plants aren't super filled in yet. I have driftwood slime for days though.... It's clogging the intake sponge every other day. It's pretty gross to clean. It's like a snot ball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2022 at 12:32 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Just very very slow, long acclimation times. That's usually all I know of to give shrimp the best chance.

I think my fear is heightened since I'm so used to my bulletproof shrimp.... I literally leave them in containers of 2-4" deep dirty water on accident for weeks at a time. At less than 62°F. They do just fine.

I know they'll be fine, it's just hard to not worry.

They didn't come today.... They are sitting at the ups hub 20 miles away. 😭

• Sad 1

On 11/22/2022 at 10:42 PM, Minanora said:

I think my fear is heightened since I'm so used to my bulletproof shrimp.... I literally leave them in containers of 2-4" deep dirty water on accident for weeks at a time. At less than 62°F. They do just fine.

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Shrimp are just too awesome to not enjoy.  @Chick-In-Of-TheSea 😂

Shrimp do really well once they get used to you. I really with my amanos could fully develop their fry.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:42 PM, Minanora said:

They didn't come today.... They are sitting at the ups hub 20 miles away. 😭

I totally would have the urge to go knock on the gate, they're so close!    It'll be an exciting day tomorrow.  Looking forward to seeing them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2