Missing Fish

amr427

Has anyone ever lost a fish in a tank and had no idea where it went?

I have a small Fluval 15gal tank and I had 6 tetras yesterday now only 5. I have searched high and low but there really aren't many places to hide.

My only guess is he went up in the bonsai tree and got stuck. Which is also where I think my three amano shrimp hide because I see them every now and then.

Wondering now if I should remove the bonsai and try to look inside so I don't have a dead fish decaying in the tank. But it's growing so well I don't want to disturb it or the shrimp inside.🤷‍♀️

PXL_20211018_163854738.jpg

Edited by amr427

My pea puffer scares me a lot that way. Also, it is hard to keep track of the pygmy corydoras as well. I thought I had lost two and then one day they were all there, doing their little fin dance for me.

I wouldn't remove the bonsai. If you suspect an ammonia spike, test the water.

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few possibilities for missing fish:

• I think the flex 15 has a filter compartment, have you checked there? 
  • I have had sick fish bury themselves the in the gravel when they were getting close to the end. 
  • It doesn't look like you have many if any snails, but snails can make quick work of small dead fish.
  • Have you checked around the tank and on the floor. Jumpers can find the smallest gap in a lid. If it made it out. do you have a cat?
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2021 at 1:05 PM, David W said:

Here are a few possibilities for missing fish:

• I think the flex 15 has a filter compartment, have you checked there? 
  • I have had sick fish bury themselves the in the gravel when they were getting close to the end. 
  • It doesn't look like you have many if any snails, but snails can make quick work of small dead fish.
  • Have you checked around the tank and on the floor. Jumpers can find the smallest gap in a lid. If it made it out. do you have a cat?

I did check the back compartments.

Only have the one snail but it is a large efficient one, lol.

I did also check all around the tank and on the ground, no little bodies found. No cat but do have a dog so I guess that is still a possible theory.

Any luck? I’ve lost several neon tetras, mostly to jumping. I do have a cat but she seems weirdly uninterested in fish. I find them in the morning, all dried up. 😞 I’ve also lost several tetras and never did find out where they went. Perhaps she tried the first two that escaped and decided she didn’t like them!

Yea I’ve lost tetra by miscounting, for a day, a couple weeks, and forever. Their so small and so many things that could happen.

I left a lid open overnight and lost a 3-4”cichlid. My theory he jumped and dog got him. But wife insists the dog would never do that she’s to good of a girl. But has no other reasonable theories. 🐶 

• Haha 4

Still no sign of the missing tetra, every time I check I'm hoping he shows up.

I have gently shook the tree just to see... nothing. Don't want to completely remove it yet.

No spikes when water testing so that's good I guess.

I could see my dog thinking it's a tasty treat, plus her food bowl is near the tank🤣

On 10/20/2021 at 4:22 PM, Chad said:

I've had this happen to me, but I had mystery snails. Turned out that was where they went.

My snail is a voracious eater so maybe she took care of it before I could tell.

• Like 1