What is your favorite plant to grow emersed?

I personally like bamboo growing out of the water, but im currently trying to do orchids for fun and because of a different post in this forum. But I also enjoy anubias grown emersed sometimes because of how stiff and dark the leaves can get. Your monstera is beautiful BTW. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 5:13 AM, Various Vivaria said:

Thanks @Keeg, how well do the orchids do emersed? @anewbie what is pso? I am probably just being stupid, but I can't think of it for the life of me.

Its only been a couple weeks and its not doing as great as I hoped lol. I know some other people on the forum are doing it too but I can't remember the forum name or who wrote it. 

@eatyourpeasThanks for highlighting my little experiment on orchids. 

If anyone is interested the first discussion of this also has some links to a long time orchid grower that was growing some emersed as well. 

As for other emersed plants, I also grow pathos regularly. I (personally) have found that by drilling into my lids of my tanks, and using a clear mesh net pot, you can hold your plants well while letting the roots grow into the tank freely. Amazon link

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 7:46 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

I use both pothos and Lucky Bamboo. The nitrate reduction, especially with the latter is astounding at some 80% down in 2 weeks:

Bamboo Close72.jpg

bamboo grid top 75272.jpg

Bamboo Side-172.jpg

Sev2Bamboo.jpg

Sev2Oscar Rear.jpg

I want to say thanks. You posted pictures awhile ago with the egg crate and I used the idea on all my tanks but could not remember who to credit. 

I used to grow sweet potatoes plants because they are pretty and nitrate 🐷 PIGS. The only issue is if I did not remove them in time the potatoes would become mushy rot so I stopped and went with pothos for less work. 

• Love 1