Amanos eating plants

Pizzafan

I got amanos to take care of my hair algae issue… which is now 95% gone. But they incessantly eat my plants! Especially larger leaves that have massive holes now- any advice? I already feed my bottom feeders daily (which the amano shrimp steal about 70% of that food too!)

Not to mention: they also scratch the paint off my aquarium plastic decorations!!! I assume this is ok since they are aquarium safe? But it’s a bit concerning

On 10/3/2021 at 9:43 AM, JoshStover said:

I have loads of amanos and never had this issue. Are you sure it’s them and not a deficiency? Are you offering them any food now that the algae is under control?

Ha, well like I said, I feed pellets to my bottom feeders and they commandeer that food on a daily basis. So not sure what more I could feed them 😄

On 10/3/2021 at 9:43 AM, JoshStover said:

I have loads of amanos and never had this issue. Are you sure it’s them and not a deficiency? Are you offering them any food now that the algae is under control?

Maybe plant issues causing plant damage and shrimp consuming the damage perhaps? This would look like them eating the plant. I have previously had decor that with the slightest touch paint came off and them going for the biofilm etc may be chipping the paint away. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have tons of Amanos and the only plant I’ve seen them eat is AR. It’s totally possible their the root cause of your holes but I suspect the folks above are correct, and it’s some sort of deficiency with the plants. 
Can you describe your lighting and fertilizer dosing schedule, and what plants are affected? 

• Like 1

@GuppysnailI think you’re on to something. I have an angelfish grow out tank in my youngest sons room. He’s had Paw Patrol figurines in it for a while now and a couple months after I added a dozen amanos the paint started slowly disappearing. I thought it was just age but now I’m thinking it could be the amanos. 

Edited by JoshStover
  • Like 1