General Fish book suggestions

Keeg

So as im walking back to campus, I walked by a tiny book store filled with antique and thrifted books. I popped in to see if they had any vintage aquarium books or general fish books available. While they did not have any vintage fish books, they did have a book about conserving fish and how the aquarium hobby is both a positive and negative output on it. Im not going to get into specifics because who likes spoilers, but ive read a couple chapters and I can say it is pretty good. I am not an avid reader and this is probably the first time in a very very long time where I enjoyed a book that I picked out. So I'm wondering, does anybody have any book recommendations on fish that relate to their habitat, care, breeding, aquariums, whatever? I have a couple encyclopedias, this one, and the Walstad one is on the list. 

9.5/10, only issue is the plural of 'fish' is spelt 'fishes' and I know either is correct but I'm not used to 'fishes' so I stutter when reading this simple word. Also, some parts seem to be written overly complexed. So while it makes perfect sense, it doesn't flow well off the tongue at the cost of looking sophisticated. 

IMG_4E2015D13A92-1.jpeg

Also it was a steal, 8$ when regular is 32$. Its practically brand new! Plus one more thing not wasted in a dump. 

Edited by Keeg
  • Like 7

• Administrators

Cool book! 

Regarding the "fishes" vs fish, I tend to hear more scientific types refer to fish as fishes (PhDs, professors, biologists, etc.). I am wondering if this is just a coincidence or is that the proper way to refer to fish? 

On 9/27/2021 at 12:30 PM, Zenzo said:

Cool book! 

Regarding the "fishes" vs fish, I tend to hear more scientific types refer to fish as fishes (PhDs, professors, biologists, etc.). I am wondering if this is just a coincidence or is that the proper way to refer to fish? 

I suspect this may be more in regard to multiple species, vs multiple of the same species?

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 2

• Administrators
On 9/27/2021 at 11:42 AM, Odd Duck said:

I suspect this may be more in regard to multiple species, vs multiple of the same species?

I thought so at one point, but I have heard it a couple of ways. Most recently, Dr. Eric Thomas used the term in his presentation during the club talk

On 9/27/2021 at 11:46 AM, Zenzo said:

I thought so at one point, but I have heard it a couple of ways. Most recently, Dr. Eric Thomas used the term in his presentation during the club talk

Im not 100% sure, I always used fish to mean multiple fish and species but I could have been using it wrong my whole life lol. This book was written with the help of professors so it's probable that it is referring to fishes being a more accurate and scientific term. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:30 AM, Zenzo said:

Cool book! 

Proper nomenclature is fishes, plural 

Of course, that's also about gatekeeping, and while I understand the need for proper nomenclature in science, I think laymen can use whatever is comfortable. 

• Like 1