Weird black pods

Keeg

I looked in my tank to see some floating black pods hanging from some duck weed, after removing them, I see that theres hundred more at the bottom. I have no idea what these are. 

Tank info: 

parameters: 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrate 10, dont know gh and kh, 5.5 gallons aquarium masters with bubble filter, receives 6 hours of light from finnex 16inch stingray 

inhabitants: 1 baby Senegal bichir (2 inches if being generous), 1 young female powder blue gourami, 1 2week old guppy (food for bichir but he won't hunt lol, 1 rams horn snail

plants: pogostemon stellatus octopus, marimo moss ball, anubias nana, anubias nana petite, anubias congensis, rotalia indica, pearlweed, amazon sword, and flame moss. 

I dont know what they are nor where they're from. I did try (nothing attempted to eat it) to feed a (dead) crane fly and (mostly dead) mosquito today though, I dont know if that'll help

Also half seem like they want to float while the other half are sunk. And they're super tiny and kind of sticky, when I used tweezers, they stuck to them and I had to scrape them off

An identification would be great! And if these are harmful or harmless to fish, regardless, I will be removing them with a strong siphon. 

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

Edit: They're super sticky and I can't remove them using a siphon 

Another edit: they pop! Loudly too! yellow white liquid is inside. 

Edited by Keeg

On 9/18/2021 at 2:06 AM, Guppysnail said:

Good luck. I’m very curious.  I hope it is not harmful for you. When did you get the marimo moss ball? I bought 4 for my niece days before they stopped selling them. She threw them out immediately but we worried forever over the zebra mussel thing. 

Ive had them long before the mussel outbreak. I kinda wish I had some zebra muscles in a tank though, freshwater reef vibes

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2021 at 4:38 AM, ARMYVET said:

Ok Im at a loss....i HAVE SEEN LOTS OF THINGS BUT NOW I AM CERTAIN THEY ARE ALIEN OFFSPRING!

I honestly dont think you're too far off. They pop like poppyseeds but are filled with a white-yellow liquid when popped. Im going to get them looked at and im gonna try to either hatch or germinate it. Hopefully its a seed and germinates 🙏

Additional information:

Ive found a couple "clusters" ranging from 3-20 pods each but theres more single pods. Ive tried adding guppies to see if they'll attempt to eat it, they won't go near it. 

Edited by Keeg

On 9/21/2021 at 11:00 PM, Keeg said:

I saw the notification for this post, was expecting actual results, not disappointed either way. 

It was the first thing that came to mind.😆  If you have ponds or pools nearby, they could be   Water Boatman eggs.  If I am guessing correctly, than they are harmless algae eating fish food.  

https://pondinformer.com/water-boatman-corixidae/

On 9/22/2021 at 2:01 AM, Brandon p said:

Could they be frog eggs

Definitely not frog eggs, they dont have a coating around them. And they are shaped like a grain of Japanese rice. 

On 9/22/2021 at 6:14 AM, Tanked said:

It was the first thing that came to mind.😆  If you have ponds or pools nearby, they could be   Water Boatman eggs.  If I am guessing correctly, than they are harmless algae eating fish food.  

https://pondinformer.com/water-boatman-corixidae/

I dont know if it counts as nearby. but I had a pond on the same property, around 200 feet away. Or if it helps, there was a rain storm before they showed up. They looks pretty similar except that these pods seem shiner and more black than the eggs on google images. 

Im still working on getting my hands on a microscope, in the meantime, I have a cluster of them in some tape and they seem to e holding really well. 

Resolution to the black pod update:

I without a doubt believe these are "crane fly" eggs. I was able to hatch a couple eggs and they appear to be very similar to the beginning larval stages of the bug. I was not able to access a microscope, but I did get a new phone and kit has a macro lens and I also got a magnifying glass. I am certain these are crane fly eggs because of how the lower abdomen of the bug (it was food) was still pulsing but nothing came out. I dont think these were mosquito eggs/ seeds because moss did not have the attaching sprout like most mosses, the anubias hasn't flowered recently, and the eggs has a shiny oil look to them. Thank you all for following this adventure and sorry for the photo quality, I got shaky hands. After a day of fasting the fish, the majority of eggs were gone 🥳

IMG_D51E080F971E-1.jpeg.9585dcab456c87ff98d790f3baea490b.jpeg

IMG_BC780079FCFF-1.jpeg.3479f8245b41a28d8cda5b8c816cfcc8.jpeg

IMG_2BD8F2AB918D-1.jpeg.a142fbbba43e0c494968904bfbc75f84.jpeg

image.png.2a58b354ec95930c36bccab40ab73a3a.png

• Like 4

On 9/28/2021 at 2:13 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve been wondering if this was ever resolved what they were.

By the way, mosquito eggs are laid in rafts and float.  I didn’t realize you were even thinking they might be mosquito eggs.  Guess I didn’t follow close enough.

I had a mosquito in there as food, and ive seen some bizarre last ditch efforts of giving birth/ leading eggs. The mosquito did not have wings so I considered the possibility of it being mangled enough that it could not produce the raft. But I feel like it was cranefly because the eggs were black and slightly shiny like oil.