Lighting Ideas

daster36

I have (2) 55g and (1) 40g 3ft that over the next 6 months I will be setting up, 2 Tanganyika and Tropical community that I am gonna make my daughters first aquarium. I plan on having all 3 planted and I want to try 3 differient lights. My choices right now is the 2 brands from the COOP fluval and the finnex but I also want to use the orphek plant light strip and I want to know if anyone on here has used a orphek, in the reef community orphek has gotten high marks as a company and I wanted to know if anyone on here has actually used them? I would be putting the fluval on the tropical tank bc that will have the most diverse plants given tangs parameters. 

Edited by daster36

That’s quite a range in terms of pricing. Are you planning to do a CO2 setup if you do the orphek light
I like the finnex and Fluval lights I have. The Fluval is a step up from the finnex but it’s all about what you’re doing in the setup. I’d say a Lake Tang tank would do well with just a basic Stingray even if you throw some anubias and Val in they’ll do fine. 
If you’re doing a planted setup you’ll need to decide if you’re doing low-tech or high-tech or a hybrid setup. These setups are often light dependent. Low tech as long as you’re around 4-5000k you can use shop lights as I do and you’ll do fine. Now I think the orphek light would be wasted in a low tech setup. It’s debatable whether it’s wasted in a hybrid setup but I think you’d have a headache on your hands with figuring out the settings, fert schedule and planting to minimize algae without CO2. 
If you’re doing a hybrid setup the Fluval planted 3.0 is great, tons of resources online for settings - @Bentley Pascoehas a whole tutorial on YT on settings for both co2 and non. 
For me this is the fun part planning it all out.Have fun!

I love the fluval 3.0 for it's ease of customization and easy to get back settings if the power goes out. I have a finnex planted + that is a hassle to set the colors and you have to redo the whole thing if the power goes out, otherwise it's a great light as well. Then on my betta tank I have a super cheap aquaneat that grows low light plants just as good as the fluval to my eyes.

• Like 1

That all makes alot of sense I think that was one of my concerns would it be wasted on a low tech tank with tangs. The fluva is going on the tropical tank anf l I am going to start that tank in the middle with the idea of graduating to high tech if I am not getting the results I want. I actually have some flood lights on my Mbuna tank, they work but are too yellow so I think going forward I am gonna spend the extra 40$ and get a finnex for my low tech. Thank you both for your insights I will keep doing the research as well. 

Edited by daster36
  • Like 1

I like the finnex 24/7 ACL. @sudofish how long have you had your finnex? I live in South Florida and the power goes out everyday and I don’t have to reset mine. I know finnex did some changes this year I’m wondering if it was that. 
On my Mbuna tank I have an inexpensive hygger and it works great. The light is very bright and is a white light compared to the finnex. 

• Like 1

I will always vouch for finnex. The moment I started using them, I started to get real results out of my plants. I upgraded from a flood light, the ones that came with the giant plastic lids for 20gs. Holy cow I didn't know how much better they were. I might transition into the fluvial range once I start want to keep more sensitive plants and have the money, but for now, the finnex will continue to exceed my expectations for a great price. 

• Like 1

The controllability is becoming increasingly important for me as the industry catches up with the available technology. Could you imagine what a company like google, with all there resources could come up with. I feel like there are more high tech good, options out there for the reef community than for plant community. Also I think it hasn't been exploited in the way that it could be. Price is an obvious hurdle but seeing what the reef led lights can do for coral, I like to imagine what is possible for a planted tank. I think that is why I am interested in trying something like an Orphek Light bar and compare to something like a fluval It would be interesting if there is a difference to me. Possibly I would only need one and that would be cheaper but maybe two but that would not be so much more than a fluval.

• Like 1

People have used lights designed for hydroponics on planted setups and certainly there is a place for technology and a niche to be filled. I think while you’re at it in terms of exploring lights you should go down the Chihiros rabbit hole - there’s been some good reviews and results with those lights. WRGB 2 and the vivid. Something price and tech wise between the Fluval and the Orphek. In the end this is the fun part for me the planning and working through the problem.