Community Fish ideas for 45 planted

siniardem

I have a 45 gal freshwater with mollies, shrimp, snails, clown pleco, and endlers. I have one dwarf gourami and hate the endlers because of the millions of babies. I wanted the mollies to breed but no luck. I have tetras in other tanks. I wanted something fun to watch that will be great in the tank. Ideas? Thinking about focusing on more plants first. 

Hard water, neutral PH, cycled and planted aquarium.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:41 AM, siniardem said:

All fish are staying but want something more flashy

Hmm, flashy.   Well entertaining to watch could be something like Zebra Danios who are VERY active, and I think the long finned ones are really pretty.   

As someone else said, Chilis are great for a tiny fish.   Fun to watch.

You could also give Platies a try if you like the livebearers.  

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 9:41 AM, siniardem said:

I thought about that but was told that they wouldn't have enough room to swim in the 45 gal

Mine is in a 29 gallon. In the 29, and in the wide open 55 he used to live in, he just finds a small spot and parks. He does slowly mosey around the tank a few times per day, but then just goes back to his parking spot. 

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of pearl gouramis.  They don't look like much in the stores, but after they get comfortable in a tank and get a little older they're beautiful fish.  I'd recommend getting a small group, preferably with more females than males, but it's difficult to sex them when they're young.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 11:20 AM, Captain Salad said:

If you can find them Kogal Blue Eyed Tetras are really cool and something a bit different (google them) Celebes Rainbowfish are also a lot of fun, very hardy, stunning and underrated almost bullet proof dwarf rainbowfish. 

I love the rainbow fish! Almost wanting a tank dedicated to them only

On 9/14/2021 at 11:50 AM, CalmedByFish said:

Mine is in a 29 gallon. In the 29, and in the wide open 55 he used to live in, he just finds a small spot and parks. He does slowly mosey around the tank a few times per day, but then just goes back to his parking spot. 

wow cool! Definitely considering now!!

On 9/14/2021 at 11:23 AM, GameCzar said:

Hmm, flashy.   Well entertaining to watch could be something like Zebra Danios who are VERY active, and I think the long finned ones are really pretty.   

As someone else said, Chilis are great for a tiny fish.   Fun to watch.

You could also give Platies a try if you like the livebearers.  

I did have danios and liked them for sure! I think at this point I am moving in Marchish and don't want to have to capture them lol

On 9/14/2021 at 12:14 PM, JettsPapa said:

I'm a big fan of pearl gouramis.  They don't look like much in the stores, but after they get comfortable in a tank and get a little older they're beautiful fish.  I'd recommend getting a small group, preferably with more females than males, but it's difficult to sex them when they're young.

YES! i love gouramis but I have a dwarf one now and I am afraid it will kill any others