Moving Tub Fish in for the Winter

Marc

Later this month I will likely be moving fish from my two 110g tubs to one tank in my house and another in the garage. The Garage is fairly cool in the winter probably ranging from 55 to 70. That's probably 10 to 15 degrees warmer than the outside tubs would be. I'm trying to decide which fish can go in the garage and which need to be inside.

Here is what I have out in the tubs:

• Leopard danios
  • Pearl Danios
  • Endlers
  • Guppies
  • Swordtails
  • White Cloud Minnows
  • Daisy's Ricefish

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with these outside of optimal aquarium temperatures. Do you think any of these could survive in the 55 to 70 degree temps of my garage. I'm pretty sure the White Cloud Minnows can but I'm not sure about the rest which I've heard don't typically like the warm 77 to 80 degrees of most tanks. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

On 9/6/2021 at 11:26 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Just to help others answer: Is a little heater in the garage tank an option? Just to keep it at 60 instead of 55 maybe?

Perhaps if necessary but I was hoping to not have to run a heater all winter long.

• Like 1

I think the guppies would be okay as long as it doesn't get below the 55° you mentioned, but I'd feel better if you get confirmation on that from someone who's been keeping them longer than I have.

I'm basing that on my experience this spring when I put some in tubs outside in April, then the night time temperature got below 50° one or two nights and I lost all but one.  They seemed fine up until it got that cold.  (Note to self; never put guppies outside in my part of the world before May 1.)

• Thanks 1

I agree the rice and minnows are go to go in the garage the guppies would be good for sure down to 60.  After that I would try a test sample this year. If you want to run a small tank just for them you could heat that and insulate with materials to keep costs down.  This all depends on how many fish you have.  I hope this helps.  

Tedrock

• Thanks 1