I'm sold on the root tabs for the second time

Fresh

The water sprites I have haven't really flourished since trimming them and moving them a while ago so I added the rest of my root tabs to the whole tank and they finally started growing again. I know root tabs are more for heavy rooters but it's definitely helping

• Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 11:06 AM, Randall from Texas said:

You almost have to have them in inert substrates for root feeders. Sand types especially.

Root tabs are not necessary for inert substrates. Think of root tabs as a fall back for the less diligent. Here is a tank grown in black diamond blasting sand, no root tabs.

Greggz's old tank.

48971012051_a5b5939e26_k.jpg.90bb3461375ab3825132384769c9b694.jpg

And here is the beginnings of mine in Eco Complete, also no root tabs.

939129888_PXL_20210812_173816796_MP2.jpg.71c83003bed3050518dd0b2e056e1f11.jpg

The best way to think of things is as this. Some plants do better in organic substrates, if they are placed in inert substrates, tabs do little to improve their overall performance.

The single biggest factor is CO2, proper column fertilization and husbandry. Roots tabs can't replace these things.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 4:35 PM, Fresh said:

The water sprites I have haven't really flourished since trimming them and moving them a while ago so I added the rest of my root tabs to the whole tank and they finally started growing again. I know root tabs are more for heavy rooters but it's definitely helping

I have some sad looking Sprite in a tank with Eco Complete. Maybe it needs a few tabs. I’ll give it a try. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 3:06 PM, Patrick_G said:

I have some sad looking Sprite in a tank with Eco Complete. Maybe it needs a few tabs. I’ll give it a try. 

Go for it. I have like a whole new stem of fresh green leaves within a week of the tabs

On 8/20/2021 at 3:06 PM, Patrick_G said:

I just did a water change but this basically grew in the last week. 

31D31AEA-F7BB-4CCB-ACA3-C53175D9D857.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 1:48 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Root tabs are not necessary for inert substrates. Think of root tabs as a fall back for the less diligent. Here is a tank grown in black diamond blasting sand, no root tabs.

Greggz's old tank.

48971012051_a5b5939e26_k.jpg.90bb3461375ab3825132384769c9b694.jpg

And here is the beginnings of mine in Eco Complete, also no root tabs.

939129888_PXL_20210812_173816796_MP2.jpg.71c83003bed3050518dd0b2e056e1f11.jpg

The best way to think of things is as this. Some plants do better in organic substrates, if they are placed in inert substrates, tabs do little to improve their overall performance.

The single biggest factor is CO2, proper column fertilization and husbandry. Roots tabs can't replace these things.

I'm no expert. So I tab lol.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 12:48 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

he single biggest factor is CO2

On 8/22/2021 at 7:06 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

inert substrates don't require root tabs. 

So what you're saying is we don't need root tabs but we do need CO2. Most of would rather put in a few root tabs than mess with a CO2 system.

• Like 1

a lot of plants sure dont need root tabs. my crypts grow like wildfire without tabs. on the other hand, my amazon swords always struggles without root tabs, and thats in deep gravel with plenty of fish poop in it for normal fertilizer. the tabs make the difference of the plant just kinda hanging on, to actually growing.

• Like 1

I’ve seen plenty of evidence in my plants that an enriched substrate (root tabs or soil) is beneficial alongside fertilization in the water column. 
here’s a clip from www.2hraquarist.com

Using a rich substrate, while dosing some nutrients through the water column, a balance of two systems, is by far the easiest, more effective method of growing plants and avoiding algae. It is therefore best to introduce nutrients from both angles. This is also why every large scale successful commercial planted system out there is based on the two pronged approach - aquasoil matched with water column dosing.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 8:11 PM, lefty o said:

a lot of plants sure dont need root tabs. my crypts grow like wildfire without tabs. on the other hand, my amazon swords always struggles without root tabs, and thats in deep gravel with plenty of fish poop in it for normal fertilizer. the tabs make the difference of the plant just kinda hanging on, to actually growing.

My thinking is this, and by no means am I saying don't use them, that's not my goal. But I will inform people, who believe they are necessary, that they are not necessary.

But my thinking is this, what nutrient is low? What portion of my NPK or Micros am I low on? Does a tab make swords grow better, or did they just supply the missing portion I needed for them to grow better. And would I have too add tabs, for swords, if I could simply dose a bit higher with what was lacking?

My observation was this, my sword grew fine when I used tabs, and they grew the same when I dosed the water column appropriately. I was using pool filter sand, and also believed you had to use root tabs with an inert substrates. Turned out, this was never true. 

On 8/22/2021 at 9:34 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

My thinking is this, and by no means am I saying don't use them, that's not my goal. But I will inform people, who believe they are necessary, that they are not necessary.

But my thinking is this, what nutrient is low? What portion of my NPK or Micros am I low on? Does a tab make swords grow better, or did they just supply the missing portion I needed for them to grow better. And would I have too add tabs, for swords, if I could simply dose a bit higher with what was lacking?

My observation was this, my sword grew fine when I used tabs, and they grew the same when I dosed the water column appropriately. I was using pool filter sand, and also believed you had to use root tabs with an inert substrates. Turned out, this was never true. 

it definately comes down to the individual tank, and the nutrients available in that tank. i would for sure never say you absolutely have to use them, as there are very few absolutes in this hobby.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 8:41 PM, lefty o said:

it definately comes down to the individual tank, and the nutrients available in that tank. i would for sure never say you absolutely have to use them, as there are very few absolutes in this hobby.

”Individual tank", and I will add individual substrate. I'm having to question everything I know with this Eco Complete. The struggle is real!

On 8/22/2021 at 8:34 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Okay, I hear what you're saying. But I think the easy way is root tabs. When I saw how much better my Amazon Swords, Jungle Val, Dwarf Sag and Crypt Lucens did with tabs I started putting in lots of them. They really took off. My main beef with root tabs is the cost. It just costs too much, I now make the infamous homemade ones using bright orange gel caps so I can see if I didn't get them buried well in the Black Diamond Blasting sand. So far so good. I'm not sure I'll ever get to the point of understanding the nutrients to the point you do, I'm not sure I want to invest the time and effort.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 9:59 PM, Ken said:

Okay, I hear what you're saying. But I think the easy way is root tabs. When I saw how much better my Amazon Swords, Jungle Val, Dwarf Sag and Crypt Lucens did with tabs I started putting in lots of them. They really took off. My main beef with root tabs is the cost. It just costs too much, I now make the infamous homemade ones using bright orange gel caps so I can see if I didn't get them buried well in the Black Diamond Blasting sand. So far so good. I'm not sure I'll ever get to the point of understanding the nutrients to the point you do, I'm not sure I want to invest the time and effort.

agree on the cost. it would be nice if we could get 100 tab packs to help get the cost per tab down.

On 8/22/2021 at 8:59 PM, Ken said:

The beauty of this is that it's all been worked out already. There's some hardcore aquarium gardeners that share all the numbers they use. You simply use what they use and adjust slightly for each individual tank!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 9:28 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Have you guys looked into osmocote+? I understand it's very cheap and very effective.

Yup, That's what I put in those bright orange gel caps.

It's a penny and a half each for the gel caps and I'm estimating I'll get 300ish tabs from the $8 container of Osmocate Plus. So somewhere around a nickle a tab. Before anyone decides to try it please read all the horror stories all over the internet about how these home made tabs will kill your whole tank. I've been using them since mid January.

637898692_RootTabs.jpg.0cd93136a54d07cdb41f3ccccdf1a1c1.jpg

On 8/22/2021 at 10:51 PM, Ken said:

Yup, That's what I put in those bright orange gel caps.

It's a penny and a half each for the gel caps and I'm estimating I'll get 300ish tabs from the $8 container of Osmocate Plus. So somewhere around a nickle a tab. Before anyone decides to try it please read all the horror stories all over the internet about how these home made tabs will kill your whole tank. I've been using them since mid January.

637898692_RootTabs.jpg.0cd93136a54d07cdb41f3ccccdf1a1c1.jpg

Same for me.  Osmocote is my friend, but may also be algae’s friend.  😆 I have added either root tabs or mixed granules with my dirt under layer (or both by now, in a few tanks).  Homemade for this old cheapskate!  Takes a few minutes to put them together while watching TV.  I have enough to last me a couple years after giving some to a friend.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:16 PM, Odd Duck said:

but may also be algae’s friend

Do you have any Hornwort in the tanks with algae? I am convinced allelopathy is real in aquariums and Hornwort is the magic cure for algae, to the point that I took it out of my shrimp tank and the tank with Hillstream Loaches in it so some algae would grow. The algae started to come back after no Hornwort for about 6 weeks.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:16 PM, Odd Duck said:

old cheapskate

I resemble that remark.

On 8/23/2021 at 8:12 PM, Ken said:

Do you have any Hornwort in the tanks with algae? I am convinced allelopathy is real in aquariums and Hornwort is the magic cure for algae, to the point that I took it out of my shrimp tank and the tank with Hillstream Loaches in it so some algae would grow. The algae started to come back after no Hornwort for about 6 weeks.

Hornwort hates me and I kind of hate it back, honestly.  It makes such a mess when it drops every needle and then rots.  I’ve grown a LOT of plants over the years, but was only mediocre at it when I was trying before LED’s became common and I’ve never had ANY luck with hornwort.

I maybe should try again since getting back into the hobby with better lights than the old fluorescents.  I’ve discovered that LED’s are a game changer for planted tanks.  And they’re just miles and miles ahead of the old incandescent lights I started with forever ago!

Maybe I’ll get some hornwort and float some in my most problematic tank(s) - messy murder beans!

• Like 1