Water Temperature too warm!

Carmen

Hi, 

I have 2 tanks with guppies and i live in the Mediterranean area. Due to high room temperatures reaching 35 °C i am struggling  to keep the water temperature between the recommended 27 ~ 29 °Celcius. In fact earlier today one of the tanks displayed a temperature of 32°C. Now i managed to surround the tanks with ice packs and reduced it to about 29~29.5°C.

Is there anything else i can do? 

Thanks 

Carmen

IMG_20210817_134618.jpg

IMG_20210817_134639.jpg

A fan over the top will allow for evaporation which will bring the temperature down.

The biggest problem with higher temperatures is it does not dissolve oxygen as well as cooler water.  Just make sure that you have plenty of air going into your tank and your guppies should be fine.  At that temp they will most likely breed even faster than they normally do.

• Thanks 1

Yes, our tropical fish thrive in very high temps in the wild and at the fish farms in Florida, but not in our tanks.

We must remember that in the wild, our fish are used to a constant oxygen/CO2 exchange. Every ripple, whether caused by an underwater rock, the wind, raindrops, or waterfalls increases the dissolved oxygen (DO) content in the water, our fish in our tanks don't have those opportunities, so we have to be careful.

Having temps at 32 C is the same as 89 F, and that's way too high for the closed environment in our tanks. At this temp, the DO is forced out of our tanks into the atmosphere and isn't replaced, not even by plants.

Surface agitation from an air stone will help, but not in the long run. Lowering the temp to 29 C, or 84 F along with an air stone until the temp stabilizes at 84 F is your best bet, and keeping your water temp at 84 F will prevent a lot of fish diseases.

• Thanks 1