Water changes and inline pumps

hopeful1

I saw a youtube video on water changes where they put a pump inside of a bucket to move water into the tank gently through a tube. 

I am interested in what is a cost effective pump, as well as whether there are pumps that can be used outside of the bucket between the bucket and aquarium in both directions?

I believe they use a cheap fountain pump off amazon to do this. Just make sure that the pump has the power to push it uphill. I.e. check it's maximum height if you have a taller tank.

I'm not sure how to address the second question? Could you clarify?

If you're asking if there are pumps that attach inline to the tubes yes there are. If you're asking if there are bi-directional pumps those exist as well, although I've only seen them in industrial sizes. Perhaps they make them for aquariums?

• Like 1

I don't mean bi-directional I can move the tubes. This weekend I moved about 50 gallons of water and I am pretty old. I am thinking about home depot???

I am also thinking of small pond applications. It is always nice to have some gold fish outdoors for the children to look at.

On 8/16/2021 at 6:39 PM, hopeful1 said:

I don't mean bi-directional I can move the tubes. This weekend I moved about 50 gallons of water and I am pretty old. I am thinking about home depot???

I am also thinking of small pond applications. It is always nice to have some gold fish outdoors for the children to look at.

Don’t go to Home Depot. Any place that sells “pond” stuff adds a big mark up. Amazon is chocked full of great utility pumps

• Like 2

I've seen recommended for Vivoson pumps. But you'd need to submerse the pump.  

I've also seen this pump used to put a tube on the in and output.  

EcoPlus HGC728310 Eco 396 Water Pump

I think it can go up to 6ft high, but the flow decreases substantially. 

Both should be on Amazon. 

It does not have to be a submersible pump. I use this one for water changes. I pump the water out of the aquarium and into a toilet. I pump the water from a 35 gallon plastic container in a bathtub into the tank. I use the tubing from a python and I find the J attachment very useful.

20210819_074036.jpg

• Like 1

I use a pond pump on my 75 that is as far from plumbing as I can get in my house 🙄 I know... not the smartest idea, but I like it in the living room

I pump out of tank into a 32 gal trash barrel, then pump out of barrel out the front door (I could go straight from tank to outside if I bought a longer hose). For filling, I let tap water run into a 5gal bucket sitting in the sink. Put pump in that bucket and pump it into the trash can. Wheel it across the house and pump into tank. 

I think the pump cost me $20 and I got my hose at the hardware store. 

• Thanks 1

We're on the same wave length. I was thinking about putting two trash cans next to the house by the window. She has also mentioned moving 40 gallon tank into the kitchen which would put me close to water. Either way I hope to a get "U" tube to hang the water line into aquarium. The pump has been approved by my Chief Financial Officer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, hopeful1 said:

We're on the same wave length. I was thinking about putting two trash cans next to the house by the window. She has also mentioned moving 40 gallon tank into the kitchen which would put me close to water. Either way I hope to a get "U" tube to hang the water line into aquarium. The pump has been approved by my Chief Financial Officer.

I cheap, simple “U” tube could be a washer drain hose holder from the hardware store 

• Thanks 1