I'm officially a puffer mom!!!!!!

Myznada08

I got my first puffer yesterday! I'm so excited and have been doing alot of research to properly care for him. He's a figure 8 puffer. It's my first time working with a brackish system but so far I think it's going well! I put some Anubis that I had in my other tank, so I'm excited to see how it holds up. If you have any tips for me I'd love to hear them!!!!

Oh by the way I named him P. Diddy 😁

20210813_234000.jpg

20210813_234607.jpg

20210813_234020.jpg

Edited by Myznada08
Added on to the body
  • Like 9
  • Love 4

Congrats. I have not tried brackish water yet.

My assumption would be the general suggestions for puffers: shelled / crunchy foods and I would consider some other inhabitants for clean up purposes. I include variatus platys in most puffer tanks even for the ambush fish eater puffers. The variatus tend to stabilize their population within a week or two of introduction and then start to grow their numbers back up in my puffer setups. Because the puffers are little messy when eating the livebearer clean up crews are a benefit to my systems by eating all the bits the puffers do not and cutting down on the excess food going bad in the water.  36 Gallon Planted Brackish Community posted by @Chris may be worth reviewing also that is an excellent thread that might help you as well.

• Like 4

On 8/14/2021 at 9:39 PM, Patrick_G said:

That is one cute fish. I’ve been mulling over getting a puffer. I’ll be interested to see how your plants hold up. 

Anubias should do fine in brackish water. Mine did great when I had the Pinocchio shrimp. Marimo balls are also good, but I do not think you can get them these days due to the Zebra mussel invasion.

Your tank is looking beautiful, and the puffer is gorgeous!

• Love 1

If you're thinking about it, GET ONE! He's so interactive and smart! He knows me already! When I come up to the tank he goes to the front and looks at me. It's so cool! He likes the freeze dried shrimp and cubed blood worms! He basically eats whatever I throw in the tank lol. I was thinking of adding a cleaner crew, but sometimes he gets a bit aggressive with his reflection so idk if he'll like having friends.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 7:34 AM, Myznada08 said:

If you're thinking about it, GET ONE! He's so interactive and smart! He knows me already! When I come up to the tank he goes to the front and looks at me. It's so cool! He likes the freeze dried shrimp and cubed blood worms! He basically eats whatever I throw in the tank lol. I was thinking of adding a cleaner crew, but sometimes he gets a bit aggressive with his reflection so idk if he'll like having friends.

They are very fun! My male pea puffer has eaten all his roommates, the female only had issues with the Mystery snail and turned his foot into a doily one day.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 12:36 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

What is your SG at? I'm concerned that when I go to the upper reaches of brackish (1.010-1.018) anubias might melt, but if you're having success maybe I'll give it a shot! 

Cute puffer! Can't wait to have a breeding pair

I'm at 1.008 the Anubis is hanging in there strong. I have noticed that P Diddy is not a fan of his salinity dropping below that. I thought he was dying and I water changed his salinity back up and he was good as new....... So apparently he's a drama king lol!

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 6:19 PM, Patrick_G said:

Feel like posting some video? 

I wish I could but it always tells me I can't upload the video when I try. Idk if the file is too large or what. I tried to keep it super short but still a no go. Do you know how?

On 8/21/2021 at 8:02 PM, Myznada08 said:

I wish I could but it always tells me I can't upload the video when I try. Idk if the file is too large or what. I tried to keep it super short but still a no go. Do you know how?

I upload it to YouTube first and then copy the link into the body of the post. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah you have to upload a video elsewhere first and then post the link.  I use google drive, but I think the youtube links are better because they show previews and sometimes the google drive file will get funky.  

P.Diddy is so cool! Can't wait to read more about your journey with him!