This Algae Wafer acts Like Catnip

Fish Folk

Omega One “Veggie Rounds” are really good. Lots of fish like them. From Plecos to Discus (!), I’m using these as a staple in my tanks.

58EB65DB-271F-464F-8D73-5968B6F7111F.jpeg.d97003f472eb3599fa69419d908747f8.jpeg

Here’s a look at my Scheeli (Emerald Killifish) going bonkers over one I just dropped in…

It’s like Catnip for fish!

• Like 5

On 8/12/2021 at 11:34 PM, ARMYVET said:

How do they hold up in the tank?  Do they make a mess? 

I am trying another wafer and the fish love it but they literally dine regrade and make a huge mess.

These do breakdown. But the fish often eat it up before it disintegrates. Plus… snails get huge treat when fish move on.

As Cory often says, “You’re feeding  the tank, not just the fish.” 

Edited by Fish Folk

On 8/12/2021 at 11:37 PM, Fish Folk said:

These do breakdown. But the fish often eat it up before it disintegrates. Plus… snails get huge treat when fish move on.

As Cory often says, “You’re feeding  the tank, not just the fish.” 

Well my tank isn’t hungry I guess…😂

• Haha 1

Back when I had my bristlenose pleco I struggled to get him to eat algae wafers. his main diet was cucumbers, zuchinni, etc. One of the reasons why I decided to give him back was because of his special feeding requirements. If i were to get a bristlenose pleco again, these wafers would be the top of my list to try.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 12:23 AM, James Black said:

Back when I had my bristlenose pleco I struggled to get him to eat algae wafers. his main diet was cucumbers, zuchinni, etc. One of the reasons why I decided to give him back was because of his special feeding requirements. If i were to get a bristlenose pleco again, these wafers would be the top of my list to try.

Apart from Boiled Zucchini disks, these wafers are the only things that my Plecos consistently eat. I've heard they take to other veggies very well too. 

• Like 1

My bristlenose love zucchini, although I don't boil it. They also eat cauliflower, but I don't have that very often.

They also come out at feeding time and eat food that gets to the bottom. Or at least I think they are doing that. Do bristlenose eat things other than vegetable matter?

On 8/13/2021 at 1:13 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Fish Folkibe had my best success with the Sera Catfish Chip Wafers - they are small, hardly any mess and I’ve had better success with these then the Hikari or Xtreme equivalent. I’ll definitely try the Omega One next time I’m at  my LFS which stocks all omega one.

Sera makes good stuff! 

Omega One “Veggie Rounds” are my favorite for bottom feeders too. The fish love them--I've even had a big Monk tetra grab a wafer and swim around with it.

I also like that unlike a few other bottom wafers I've tried, they don't make the tank smell 30 minutes after they go in.

• Like 1