Betta or Neon Tetra first?

RV Tanks

Planning out my tank build. Thanks to Co-op plants will be added Thursday. Next step is going to be fish adding... Current plant is a group of 6-8 small schooling fish and a Betta.

Question is add the schooling fish or betta first? Tank is 8 gallons....Message_1628015538611.jpg.2721235fc1beedd201f179c4dd77b1a2.jpg

I was told to do the most aggressive last because if not it will claim Territory and then you bring new fish in and it upsets them. Just what I’ve read, watched and seen myself with my own Betta! I will say, that tank seems a bit small for a school of Tetras. They are a tight schooling, fast swimming fish! They say to shut off lights when introducing fish.

Edited by Stacy Z

Yes it recommends that online with Betta’s. I generally shut off my lights between 12-4 to rebuild oxygen levels from photosynthesis of my plants overnight. That way I don’t feed algae when plants aren’t using light after noon. Then back on again for 4 more HRs at 5. I use that time to bring in new members. I’m currently transferring from my 10 gal Quarantine tank to 40 gal breeder setup. It’s something I’ve always done but I’m new into the hobby again so I heard that mostly for aggressive fish. 

Edited by Stacy Z
  • Like 1

If your water is 78 degrees, then you are probably good without a heater. My tanks stay at 74-76 during the summer and I just take the heaters out altogether. The heater will probably be more important for you in the winter. I would add neons first, give them a few days to get comfortable, and then add the betta. Whether or not it will work in a smaller tank like that depends a lot on the betta, as some are much more aggressive and territorial than others. Make sure you have lots of plants and decorations so that the betta doesn't just hyper focus on the tetras all day. I'd say you'll likely have a pretty high chance of success though. Let us know how it goes!

• Like 3

My local shop wouldn’t sell me 4-5 neons when I wanted to add to my new set up with a betta being that the neons were not that hardy in tanks that were not established. Most of my bettas are with mystery snails and I’ve been comfortable with not having to stress over aggression. And definitely I’ve noticed the bettas “playing nice” with the snails when the bettas were added last.  My one betta is just plum dog mean even in a 10 gal and only an oto to pester. That’s ok, I still love his tough guy attitude. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 4:48 PM, RV Tanks said:

I am not set on neon tetras… still researching what small schooling fish (6-8) will do well in my small aquarium… 

It think there’re just about perfect for your situation. They’re not to tiny so they have a chance with the betta but they’re not so big as to add to much bioload to the tank. They also don’t need as much swimming space as fish that school tighter like Rummy Nose Tetras. And obviously they’re bright blue so you can see them from across the room. 

• Like 3

I agree that neons would work pretty well. If you aren't tied to neons though, then you can also do a small school of corydoras or khuli loaches to inhabit the bottom of the tank, out of the way of the betta. Ember tetras would be a fun alternative to neons too, depending on the color of your betta and the contrast you are looking for. Ember tetras are small enough that you should be able to get a school of 8-10 in there with the betta. Alternatively, I love microrasboras and will always recommend them for nano tanks, even with a betta. You could get yourself a school of chili rasboras (if you're lucky enough to find some) or kubotai resboras. Both are very small schooling fish that will not raise your bioload much, but are active and quick enough to keep their distance from a betta. They need very clean water, so make sure your water tests are coming out clean before adding any. You could also potentially try emerald dwarf rasboras or galaxy rasboras, but I would get a second opinion if you think about doing that.