Baby Shrimp??? Or something more nefarious?

Marcy

Amphipod /isopod /scud. Harmless most fish eat them however in a shrimp tank they will out compete shrimplettes for resources if they become too numerous may deplete resources too far for your shrimp colony. Since I believe you will be removing the substrate if I remember your start over thread it won’t be a problem. Most live in the substrate.  Shake plants and decor in old tank water they fall off. Don’t sweat it. If you did not have shrimp they would actually be a helper. I’m excited to see pictures of your tank when your done! 😁

• Like 1

Well, the problem is that my daughters betta is not doing well. Same thing that happened to the last one. Was great for about a week, then starts to decline, becomes lethargic, won’t eat. I checked parameters and the ph is high, (8.0)  but it’s normal for here. The ammonia was at 0.25 so I put some prime in there. Tomorrow I’m doing a 50% water change and removing the substrate. <sigh> I feel awful that it’s always her tank. I’m going to try to remove all of her inhabitants and put them in a quarantine tank so I can focus on cleaning that one. If you look at the first picture, does that look like an ulcer to you? 

147A8AB5-FB54-45D3-B8EE-F4C048E71577.jpeg

76BE7D44-0B40-4B00-B710-AF56759546F3.jpeg

• Confused 1

On 7/31/2021 at 8:59 PM, Marcy said:

Well, the problem is that my daughters betta is not doing well. Same thing that happened to the last one. Was great for about a week, then starts to decline, becomes lethargic, won’t eat. I checked parameters and the ph is high, (8.0)  but it’s normal for here. The ammonia was at 0.25 so I put some prime in there. Tomorrow I’m doing a 50% water change and removing the substrate. <sigh> I feel awful that it’s always her tank. I’m going to try to remove all of her inhabitants and put them in a quarantine tank so I can focus on cleaning that one. If you look at the first picture, does that look like an ulcer to you? 

147A8AB5-FB54-45D3-B8EE-F4C048E71577.jpeg

76BE7D44-0B40-4B00-B710-AF56759546F3.jpeg

Find out what water parameters they are coming from. They could be kept at a lower pH so the sudden rise to high pH may be the real problem

On 7/31/2021 at 7:59 PM, Marcy said:

Well, the problem is that my daughters betta is not doing well. Same thing that happened to the last one. Was great for about a week, then starts to decline, becomes lethargic, won’t eat.

Like what @Guppysnail said, post it in diseases to get a better range of answers instead of this thread of baby shrimp/ isopods. But I may have an idea of what it is, but I have to know if the red on the betta is part of its coloring or disappears when the fish is active? 

On 8/1/2021 at 4:02 AM, Guppysnail said:

Ask this question and post your photos in the disease section.  There are some super knowledgeable folks there that can help identify and give you a course of treatment recommendation. That is a beautiful betta. I hope she can recover. 

Will do! 

On 8/1/2021 at 4:18 AM, Keeg said:

Like what @Guppysnail said, post it in diseases to get a better range of answers instead of this thread of baby shrimp/ isopods. But I may have an idea of what it is, but I have to know if the red on the betta is part of its coloring or disappears when the fish is active? 

Thank you! I’m going to post this there. 

• Like 1