Newbie. Just received first plants. Need advice.

I just got my delivery of several plants from Aquariumcoop. I have an established tank with fish but nothing planted yet. My hardscape rocks haven’t been delivered yet so I’m not ready to plant as not sure of placement. A few questions. 

1. Can I leave the plants in the bags for a few days until I’m ready to plant? Can I leave them in the pots and put in my tank until ready? Will being in the pot affect the water? How long before they establish roots and are difficult to move? 

2. How do I prep before adding to tank? Do they need a bleach bath? Do I just rinse them?

Thanks for helping the newbie. 

• Like 1

Don't leave them in the bags, but leaving them in the pots is OK. I have done it a lot (I'm doing it right now).

I just take them out of the pot, take the rock wool off (gently) and put them in the tank. Especially if they have already been in the pot in the tank, I figure that has to be OK.

Rinsing them is OK, but I admit I don't even do that. Am I a bad man?

• Like 2

i would put them in the pots into the tank. they get to do good things for the tank, and stay healthier that way. remove from pots when ready to plant. for me with new plants, i typically give them a quick rinse under the tap, and thats it.

• Like 2

I like to get the plant out of the rock wool as soon as possible so the roots don't intertwine with it. If not planting right away I'll just let it float in the tank. They don't seem to mind. I have unplanted floating plants for weeks at a time with no ill effects. 

More importantly, is it Ledhead as in Zeppelin? Love them. 

• Like 1

Thanks all! I ended up leaving them in the pots and putting them in the tank. How long before they start to root? Want to to make sure I plant them before that happens. Will the wool spike the water? What can I use to create some height for peaks and valleys? Afraid about adding substate with the fish in there. Also anyone know a reliable place to get dragon stone? I’m such a newbie 😉

On 7/13/2021 at 7:51 PM, DaveO said:

I like to get the plant out of the rock wool as soon as possible so the roots don't intertwine with it. If not planting right away I'll just let it float in the tank. They don't seem to mind. I have unplanted floating plants for weeks at a time with no ill effects. 

More importantly, is it Ledhead as in Zeppelin? Love them. 

Absolutely Zeppelin! I’m a total Ledhead! Rock On! 

• Like 5

On 7/13/2021 at 6:32 PM, HH Morant said:

Don't leave them in the bags, but leaving them in the pots is OK. I have done it a lot (I'm doing it right now).

I just take them out of the pot, take the rock wool off (gently) and put them in the tank. Especially if they have already been in the pot in the tank, I figure that has to be OK.

Rinsing them is OK, but I admit I don't even do that. Am I a bad man?

I guess rinsing isn’t necessary if purchasing from a reliable source. Although I really don’t want snails, not that a rinse would solve that.

• 1 month later...

Dragon stone; you can buy 44lb boxes from Lowes on line and or the store will order for you. Under  Landscape rock. A few other choices available as well. If you order it right it will come right to the house. About a $1 a pound I got two small and one large back in July 

I found dragon stone at a local petco.  More expensive than Lowes but I was able to walk out with it. 

I did a quick H2O2 and a longer alum dip on my plants (not my vals).  Probably overkill for the coop plants but I really did not want to add any fast breeding snails or insects to my new tank.