ADF question

Rudles

I'm concerned about my ADFs. Right now I have flakes, freeze dried blood worms and Bug Bites. What kind of sinking food would be nourishing for my ADFs?

I live on an island in Southeast Alaska and I don't have access to frozen food. 

Edited by Rudles

On 7/4/2021 at 5:21 PM, Odd Duck said:

Pardon, but what do you mean by ADF?

African dwarf frogs.

@RudlesI don't keep them, but it sounds to me like you already have a good variety of food for them. Maybe a type of sinking bottom feeder pellet? You can usually find them for catfish at Petco or Petsmart. Hopefully others will chime in and say what they feed. 

• Like 3

On 7/4/2021 at 2:35 PM, H.K.Luterman said:

African dwarf frogs.

@RudlesI don't keep them, but it sounds to me like you already have a good variety of food for them. Maybe a type of sinking bottom feeder pellet? You can usually find them for catfish at Petco or Petsmart. Hopefully others will chime in and say what they feed. 

I live on an island in Southeast Alaska. There are no big box stores, no chain stores not even a LPS. I rely on Amazon, Aquarium Co-op, Aqua Huna and the US Mail for everything. 

On 7/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, Colu said:

Frozen blood worms brine shrimp daphnia and live foods such as vinegar eels or micro worms amphibigold pellet 

I don't have access to any of these. I live on an island in Southeast Alaska. 

Variety is great for African Dwarf Frogs.  As for mine, I have tried to keep a variety of food on hand for them.

They particularly like live food.  Black worms and brine shrimp (baby or adult) are great options.

For freeze-dried foods, I particularly like using freeze-dried tubifex or brine shrimp.  Over the years, freeze-dried tubifex has been a great option for mine.  They will also eat freeze-dried bloodworms, but you may not want to make that the main staple. I will write more on that later.

As for dry foods, I have liked using bug bites, xtreme pellets, and various flakes (the xtreme kreel flake is a great option).

For frozen food, mine have taken to frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, daphnia, beef hearts, and blood worms.

*** In the ADF circles there is a lot of speculation that high protein items such as blood worms and beef hearts may contribute to bloat. Over the numbers of years I have kept them, I am still not sure if this is true or not. I have had more problems in tanks where I have fed freeze dried and frozen bloodworms, and frozen beaf hearts. But I am not sure if its a direct correlation.  I use blood worms more or less as a treat for them, and not as main staple food.

African Dwarf Frogs will eat a lot of the left overs that get to the bottom.  They scavenge primarily based on the sense of smell.  

If I am intentionally feeding African Dwarf Frogs, I try to rotate their feedings to be every other day if they are in a species only tank.  

I do like to keep African Dwarf Frogs with my livebearers to help keep fry population under control.  

My current feeding schedule for my frogs are as follows:
Sunday - Treat Day - Frozen Food that I have on hand. This tends to be blood worms or brine shrimp.
Monday - fasting day
Tuesday - Freeze Dried Tubifex.  Soak the tubifex worms beforehand to get them to seperate.  Try not to overfeed. 
Wednesdsay - fasting day
Thursday - A smelly flake food or my mix can of fish food (pellets, flakes, bug bites, etc.)
Friday - Live Food (typically baby or adult brine shrimp)
Saturday - fasting day

• Like 1

Based on your limited availability of food, if I had live beaers who were breeding and I don't mind letting some of the fry get picked off, then I would put them in that tank and make sure to target feed from time to time. 

I would rotate Xtreme Krill Flakes ( https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/xtreme-krill-flakes?_pos=2&_psq=xtreme flake&_ss=e&_v=1.0 ) with Hikari Tubifex Worms ( https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/fish-food/products/hikari-freeze-dried-tubifex-worms ).  

If I had access to for salt to do baby brine shrimp, then I would also put in the mix the Cp-Ops baby brine shrimp eggshttps://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/fish-food/products/aquarium-co-op-brine-shrimp-eggs ).  Assumming you have enough to feed what you could make here and freeze the rest OR you have enough fish tanks that you could feed the rest too.

Another option I forgot to mention is the new formula of the sera-o-nip tab which actually works well for my ADF.  Right now off of Amazon it is cheap as all get out.  If you just have like 1 ADF, you can break it in half.  I tend to use one tab to feed 4 to 6 ADF in a tank. This might be your cheapest and one of the most rounded/best options for you to be honest.  ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00178LEEU/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_NVNYVNND0MEQ06QXVSM4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 )

• Love 1